Are most still dressing up to dinner or wearing approved laid back clothing?

Illinoisgal

I dont want this to turn into a dining room proper attire debate. As you can see Ive sailed many times before. This is the first time we will be flying where we have to pay for luggage since Southwest jacked up their prices and screwed up the schedule.

Im wondering if many people are taking advantage of the more laid back dress code recently. We will be gone 11 days and trying to pack as light as possible. I always would change into a dress or capris and nice blouse/top for dinner then change back. I still amd bringing the suit and gown but what about the other days?? I dont want to stick out , does it feel weird wearing nice shorts and top?

Just got back from Legend and the dining room was a bit of a free for all. I'd be the last person to tell someone how to dress but the shorts, t-shirt and backwards baseball cap I saw one night kind of irked me.

I think nice shorts and a top would be fine as there were quite a few people wearing something along that line.

Personally, I don't dress up to go to the dining room (which I hope doesn't irritate people.) I usually just wear what I wore that day. Usually its some capris and a nice top. I don't do formal night..or cruise elegant..whatever they call it now..so I skip the dining room on those nights.

Have fun!! :D

I will say that I was also on the Legend with Tortie and Livin and most in our group dressed as if it were still formal night, or at the very least elegant... I saw some beeeeeautiful formalwear, and also saw people that were dressed a little down but still elegant. I think the 7 day and longer cruises are going to have a higher percentage of people that dress up. Those that have been cruising for a while can't break the habit that easily, plus it just makes for a great experience... the 2nd elegant night people were dressed down quite a bit more. I think old habits are hard to break... we had some HOT looking people in our group!!! I was very proud!!!! I think as long as you put the effort into it, and really take "elegant" seriously, you don't have to wear a gown or anything bulky to look great... my dress folding into the space of a tyvek mailer :p LOL

When I first started cruising I wore a Tux. Then I knocked it down to suits.

These days I wear a shirt and tie or a nice shirt and dress pants and fit in just fine!

I have seen it all in the dining room but for the most part people do try to at least wear business casual.

My food taste the same no matter what my neighbors at the next table are wearing.

I guess some people would be enraged to know that I sometimes take off my shoes while eating dinner. If the fashion police have the nerve to go around the dining room looking under table clothes then more power to them. :D

Maam,

Carnival does not really the Black and White balls anymore.

I still have my American Made and tailored suits , tuxedos and dinner jackets.

But now hardly worth using thes on ships anymore.

What people want to wear is a personal choice.

As in church it is not what you wear it is if you attend...:cool:

I dont want this to turn into a dining room proper attire debate. As you can see Ive sailed many times before. This is the first time we will be flying where we have to pay for luggage since Southwest jacked up their prices and screwed up the schedule.

Im wondering if many people are taking advantage of the more laid back dress code recently. We will be gone 11 days and trying to pack as light as possible. I always would change into a dress or capris and nice blouse/top for dinner then change back. I still amd bringing the suit and gown but what about the other days?? I dont want to stick out , does it feel weird wearing nice shorts and top?

I always "dress for dinner". For me, dressing for dinner in the evening is part of the cruise experience.

I can slop around in casual wear all the time at home. On vacation - and particularly on a ship - I'll do the resort casual/formal thingie.

I always "dress for dinner". For me' date=' dressing for dinner in the evening is part of the cruise experience.

I can slop around in casual wear all the time at home. On vacation - and particularly on a ship - I'll do the resort casual/formal thingie.[/quote']

This is the camp I fall in to. Both my husband and I have always enjoyed the traditional aspect of scheduled dining, same serving team, and getting a little dressed up. Formal night to us is a chance to wear clothes we normally don't wear and makes the trip more special.

On our first cruise with our kids last year, they both embraced the concept of dressing nicely for dinner, even our then 14-year-old son. I'd planned to get him a suit, but he asked specifically for a tux for formal night...so I rented one for him and he really seemed to love wearing it. So much so that for our Pride cruise next summer he's already asked if he can get another tux.

Just off the Imagination and we were surprised to see how many people were really dressed for dinner. I did notice many of the women were in beaded dresses, lots of "bling" and sequins while the men were in baggy pants and tee shirts. We're more of a "middle of the road" couple. We always change for dinner and on this 4 day cruise were a little more casual than usual. No one appeared to notice at all, I did not see any baseball hats in the DR, but on "elegant" night I did notice a few collarless tee shirts (not on my DH). Still had a wonderful time and as someone else said, "the food tasted just as good no matter what others were wearing".

thanks for the feedback. Ive been packing some of my lightweight dressier tops for dinner. I have a few pants/capris that are the niced dress ones. Ill just mix and match. Im so used to the old dress code, I dont know if I could take wearing shorts. I always chaged even on the first night.

I love dressing up on elegant/formal in my sparkly gown and Dh in a suit. One of the few times we are dressed up nice together.

Southwest wanted 345 pp one way ! I got airtran for 50.00 and DElta for 58.00 pp. GUess that is worth the 15.00 luggage fee :) Ive always flown Southwest so this will be new for me. I wish they werent so high this time, plus the schedule really stunk from Indy.

Thanks all!

I will say that I was also on the Legend with Tortie and Livin and most in our group dressed as if it were still formal night, or at the very least elegant... I saw some beeeeeautiful formalwear, and also saw people that were dressed a little down but still elegant. I think the 7 day and longer cruises are going to have a higher percentage of people that dress up. Those that have been cruising for a while can't break the habit that easily, plus it just makes for a great experience... the 2nd elegant night people were dressed down quite a bit more. I think old habits are hard to break... we had some HOT looking people in our group!!! I was very proud!!!! I think as long as you put the effort into it, and really take "elegant" seriously, you don't have to wear a gown or anything bulky to look great... my dress folding into the space of a tyvek mailer :p LOL

My dress isnt bulky and since Im a stay at home mom with a small job at the school with my son I look forward to wearing it again. It feels nice to be polished once in a while. It is black strapless, with the bottom a flowy silk looking style, the bust piece ( looks 2pc) is sparkly and a bit beaded. I think its a McClintok. Im glad your group was Hot!! Shows who the old school cruisers are :)

thanks for the feedback. Ive been packing some of my lightweight dressier tops for dinner. I have a few pants/capris that are the niced dress ones. Ill just mix and match. Im so used to the old dress code, I dont know if I could take wearing shorts. I always chaged even on the first night.

You will do just fine!

We follow the dress code for sure, but don't get too dressy ourselves. The wife usually brings a nice evening dress for formal night. On those nights I wear dress slacks, a dress shirt and a tie. But you'll never catch me in a jacket, let alone a tux.

On other nights the wife wears a dress of some sort usually, but nothing too fancy. I wear either khaki's or nice pressed jeans and a nice button up top or polo (though I only wear polo's with the khakis not jeans).

I always "dress for dinner". For me' date=' dressing for dinner in the evening is part of the cruise experience.

I can slop around in casual wear all the time at home. On vacation - and particularly on a ship - I'll do the resort casual/formal thingie.[/quote']

I'm with G'ma here too. It's part of the experience. :)

Personally, I've never looked at a "minimum acceptable bar" to learn how to dress.

Everything from black tie to casual is a dress standard.

One of my early cruises on another line had 2 formal nights, and one elegant night. So in addition to a suit, I packed a sportscoat and tie.

Now, I would just pack a sportscoat and tie.

I'll be following the suggested attire on my 7-day Liberty cruise in January, nice shorts and shirt on casual nights and slacks and button-up shirt on the formal nights, although that isn't so formal. My taste buds will be completely naked!

Southwest didn't work out this trip. They were way more expensive than American, even after adjusting for baggage fees. I was amazed!

Personally, I've never looked at a "minimum acceptable bar" to learn how to dress.

Everything from black tie to casual is a dress standard.

One of my early cruises on another line had 2 formal nights, and one elegant night. So in addition to a suit, I packed a sportscoat and tie.

Now, I would just pack a sportscoat and tie.

And you will do fine also!

Having just recently returned from the Miracle, we were pleasantly surprised to see that a vast majority still dressed to the 9's for dinner EVERY evening! I was worried after reading quite a few comments on here that Carnival had become the Waffle House of cruising! But, it was just not so.

Elegant nights did not have as many tuxes, but they were replaced with suits.

We only saw a handful of people that wore jeans.

Having just recently returned from the Miracle, we were pleasantly surprised to see that a vast majority still dressed to the 9's for dinner EVERY evening! I was worried after reading quite a few comments on here that Carnival had become the Waffle House of cruising! But, it was just not so.

Elegant nights did not have as many tuxes, but they were replaced with suits.

We only saw a handful of people that wore jeans.

I think sometimes the home port may have a bit to do with that...

Archived