Are most still dressing up to dinner or wearing approved laid back clothing?

Illinoisgal

The food...........Do you really think there are a hundred chefs preparing each meal as ordered?Take the galley tour and you will see that it is pre-prepared.Your shrimp cocktail was made 8 hours ago.Your lobster tail was broiled hours ago as well and kept in a warmer.The deserts are frozen and thawed for the most part.

Don't get me wrong,they do a decent job putting out 10,000 meals a day.But this is not Ruth's Chris 5 star dining.This is more on line with a Golden corral or hometown buffet.

You really should go get a hot dog or hamburger where they are cooked in front of you... better yet eat salad...

EVERY restaurant takes shortcuts... some take more than others... It really does not matter what happens behind the door, it matters what is on your plate. Our last Carnival cruise (in May) on the Triumph was some of the best food I've had cruising and is on par with the finest restaurants in Charleston, SC.

My cruise in Jan. on the Fascination had lackluster food in the MDR but excellent on the Lido... Great buffet food and great pizza. Omelet was out of this world.

I have seen so many people say that "the food tastes the same" regardless of what others are wearing.

Of course the food tastes the same. But it's not about the taste of the food. It's the atmosphere and the experience. Remember what you wore to your high school prom, your wedding, or your friends/family member's wedding?

No we don't remember, nor do we care. Not everyone enjoys dressing up. We don't come looking like slobs. On non formal nights I will generally wear khakis with a polo or nice jeans with a dress shirt. On cruise elegant night it will be dress slacks/dress shirt/tie. But the tie comes off as soon as we are back to the room after dinner, and you couldn't pay to get me into a suit or tux. The next suit I wear will be the next wedding or funeral I have to perform. I have no other uses for them.

But, you say, these are special ocassions. Well, formal nights are the special ocassions on cruises. Many people do not have many opportunities to attend formal dinners. Formal nights give us that opportunity. If everyone is dressed elegantly, it will greatly enhance the experience and enjoyment for everyone.

It doesn't enhance the enjoyment for those who DON'T like getting dressed up. And not everyone thinks that it makes you look better either. I think women look horrible when they go over the top with make up/stupid hair dos and such that usually accompany "formal" occaisions. I much prefer a natural beauty in normal, human being dress.

My wife does wear an evening gown for CRUISE ELEGANT night (notice it's NOT a formal night on Carnival). But nothing stupid or over the top. And guess what? I'm not the only person who feels this way.

If you want to feel all upper crust with your nose in the air, then the mass market cruise lines aren't who you should be booking with.

And for the record, no I'm not a redneck or poor either. I actually make a very good living, am a trained chef, and live in one of the most affluent areas of the country. Not everyone who doesn't like getting dressed up is a redneck wearing cut-off shorts as people like to stereotype whenever these discussions come up.

As in church it is not what you wear it is if you attend...:cool:

For years my children gave me this argument.. God doesn't care what you wear. I agree but for me it was always respect. You wear the best you have. If the best you have is a pair of faded jeans.. that's what you wear. My problem was wearing the "whatever" to church on Saturday night than coming home and "dressing up" to go out on a date.

Even with dining I like to respect the environment. Just makes the moment a little special. My own personal observations with children is that they behave differently in certain clothes. I think adults are the same. I really don't care what others wear but I do think the clothing does influence the atmosphere of the dining room.

On non formal nights I will generally wear khakis with a polo or nice jeans with a dress shirt. On cruise elegant night it will be dress slacks/dress shirt/tie.

You are very properly dressed for the ocassion and well within the dress code. I don't know what you were ranting about but maybe you did not follow the discussion. We do NOT have a problem with people dressed properly like you. The issue is with people who do not obey the dress code and wear shorts, tank-tops, t-shirts and baseball caps to cruise elegant nights.

For years my children gave me this argument.. God doesn't care what you wear. I agree but for me it was always respect. You wear the best you have. If the best you have is a pair of faded jeans.. that's what you wear. My problem was wearing the "whatever" to church on Saturday night than coming home and "dressing up" to go out on a date.

Even with dining I like to respect the environment. Just makes the moment a little special. My own personal observations with children is that they behave differently in certain clothes. I think adults are the same. I really don't care what others wear but I do think the clothing does influence the atmosphere of the dining room.

Well said, Cathy.

Several years ago, a very successful young television producer from Denver was seated at my singles dining table (I'm still in contact with all 5 of them:)) and he showed up the first night in nice jeans, a sports jacket and collared shirt. It was his first cruise, the seas were a bit rough and he didn't get past the menu without heading off to his cabin for the night ! ! :rolleyes: I did, however, suggest to him the next day, that in the future it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear something other than jeans to the MDR. He was completely without any knowledge of this and gladly, almost apologetically, complied the following nights.

Many first time cruises DON'T read their cruise docs (who does)and innocently have no idea what is expected of them. They view a cruise as a time to relax and do whatever. I don't blame them. But almost to the person when told of this faux pas they gladly comply.

I found the dress on the SPLENDOR very laid back with just slacks, a collared shirt, and sometimes a sport jacket (that's what I wore) and I noticed an almost conspicuous absence of tuxs on "elegant night". I just wore a suit and tie.

The same on the ELATION 5 weeks later. :)

You are very properly dressed for the ocassion and well within the dress code. I don't know what you were ranting about but maybe you did not follow the discussion. We do NOT have a problem with people dressed properly like you. The issue is with people who do not obey the dress code and wear shorts, tank-tops, t-shirts and baseball caps to cruise elegant nights.

My "problem" (as you put it) is that generally the people that whine and complain about the "slackening standards of dress" are the type that:

1. would look down on me for wearing jeans to the MDR

2. think that anyone not in a suit on formal night should be drawn and quartered (or at least not allowed into the MDR).

Oh, they stereotype it that "we don't like cut offs and ball caps" (which I don't like either btw), but that's NOT what they are against. Heck, just look at the person who posted right after you ...

Several years ago, a very successful young television producer from Denver was seated at my singles dining table (I'm still in contact with all 5 of them:)) and he showed up the first night in nice jeans, a sports jacket and collared shirt. It was his first cruise, the seas were a bit rough and he didn't get past the menu without heading off to his cabin for the night ! ! :rolleyes: I did, however, suggest to him the next day, that in the future it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear something other than jeans to the MDR. He was completely without any knowledge of this and gladly, almost apologetically, complied the following nights.

That's right, set strait those silly people who tried to wear jeans into the MDR :mad:

My "problem" (as you put it) is that generally the people that whine and complain about the "slackening standards of dress" are the type that:

1. would look down on me for wearing jeans to the MDR

2. think that anyone not in a suit on formal night should be drawn and quartered (or at least not allowed into the MDR).

Oh, they stereotype it that "we don't like cut offs and ball caps" (which I don't like either btw), but that's NOT what they are against. Heck, just look at the person who posted right after you ...

That's right, set strait those silly people who tried to wear jeans into the MDR :mad:

You may not have noticed I said "Several years ago."

You may also not have not noticed that I, "suggested" (not "set him straight") he might want to wear something else in the MDR. I did this more for his sake then mine. I could care less what people wear.

For the record, I hate tuxes. A marriage ago, my wife and I went to several "tux" events per year. I'm not crazy about suits either. I work in jeans and boots. When I relax here in So Cal I'm in shorts, t-shirt and tennies. I only wear a suit on "elegant nights" because its expected of me and I don't wish to make my tablemates uncomfortable. I also stand when a woman is seated or leaving my dining table, open doors for ladies, and keep my elbows off the table. (conditioned responses from my upbringing I assume) :D

Beware if you ever book a British ship : Cunard; P&O; Fred Olsen; Saga!

You will be expected to dress well for all dinner meals, and will certainly have to wear a jacket (men) for semi-formal evenings. For long cruises - take the lot! There will be several formal nights. and you will see very few men not in a "tux" or "DJ" (Dinner-Jacket - Black Tie!). The dress for Dinner is the dress for the whole evening, so - no changing into shorts, etc. after dinner to go to the evening show!

It's all god-old Brit style - and the ladies very much enjoy dressing "up"!

Who was that lady who said she wore the same clothes for the evening as she had had on all day?? What - no shower??

Well on my first cruise, I read the boards here and I thought dressing up every night would be a drag and as far as formal night or what ever you choose to call it, I thought dang!! not on vacation. Well I couldn't have been more wrong, I simply loved getting dressed up on formal nights and seeing so many looking so beautiful has made this a fun part of the cruise to look forward to. As for the other nights in th MDR, I just go dressy causal, nice slacks, top or a sun dress as we use to call them back in the day:). I feel people should wear what the dress code allows, I have see some in jeans, shorts, etc etc, and to be honest it did bother me a little. But as soon as I was seated and eating I forgot all about what others had on.:D. Oh!! and not to take sides with who ever posted about the food being prepared way in advance and desserts simply thawed, that's correct. That doesn't mean that the food isn't good, I was on the Destiny this past March and my friend who is a chef is still ranting about how good the braise short ribs were. I have always loved the food I get while cruising and then sometimes there's things that I don't like. I don't think that poster was downing the food though, just my too cents folks;)

thanks for all the feedback everyone. I knew they now allowed the dress shorts so I was wondering how many of people were wearing them. I dont mind dressing up, but didnt want to be the only dressed up person. If I wore shorts even though it is allowed, I didnt want to be the only person either.

Im fully packed now and have my gown, a skirt, black slinky slacks and a few dress capris that will match with various tops and the same dressy sandals. Im only up to 41 lbs in the large suitcase and have a carryon each for myself, son and Hubby. Not too bad for a 8 day cruise!

I agree that the longer the cruise the more dressed up people tend to be.

On a funny note I was explaining the dress code to the new cruisers in the family coming along ( there are 18 of us) one Uncle was trying to tell me the shirt he has on was a dress shirt. It was a tommy bahama, which my Dh lives in when not at work since he has to dress up everyday. I told him no, that wasnt acceptable on elegant night. He says "well it cost 120.00" haha. I told him just beacuse it costs alot doesnt make it elegant! He proceeded to tell me, but I tuck the shirt in. Some people just dont get it. Ps his wife is bringing him slacks shirt and tie. Haha.

This thread has once again confirmed that the ones who dress up in order to live out some fantasy and expect others to follow are the selfish ones. :D

That's very unfair. You could also say that the people who want to disregard the cruise line's preferences are trying to live out some fantasy about being on a floating McDonald's and are the selfish ones.

The cruise line makes it very clear what they prefer. They also, reluctantly, now will allow people who don't really know how to dress for various occasions to attend, but that is far from "approving" of such apparel. It's just an acknowledgment that class and social awareness are not possessed by a lot of their guests. :rolleyes:

That's very unfair. You could also say that the people who want to disregard the cruise line's preferences are trying to live out some fantasy about being on a floating McDonald's and are the selfish ones.

The cruise line makes it very clear what they prefer. They also' date=' reluctantly, now will allow people who don't really know how to dress for various occasions to attend, but that is far from "approving" of such apparel. It's just an acknowledgment that class and social awareness are not possessed by a lot of their guests. :rolleyes:[/quote']

I never mentioned those who didn't follow the guidelines. Merely stating the fact that many who post here and dress very formally imply that they would like others to do so in order to live out the fantasy. There's a few posts on here that say just that.

And where did the cruise lines say they were "reluctant" to change?

The cruise line makes it very clear what they prefer. They also' date=' reluctantly, now will allow people who don't really know how to dress for various occasions to attend, but that is far from "approving" of such apparel. It's just an acknowledgment that class and social awareness are not possessed by a lot of their guests. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Yes they make it very CLEAR that shorts are welcome in the MDR except for "elegant night". When it is in writing it is APPROVED... period...

They do not care what your social awareness is... Take a chill pill.

On a funny note I was explaining the dress code to the new cruisers in the family coming along ( there are 18 of us) one Uncle was trying to tell me the shirt he has on was a dress shirt. It was a tommy bahama, which my Dh lives in when not at work since he has to dress up everyday. I told him no, that wasnt acceptable on elegant night. He says "well it cost 120.00" haha. I told him just beacuse it costs alot doesnt make it elegant! He proceeded to tell me, but I tuck the shirt in. Some people just dont get it. Ps his wife is bringing him slacks shirt and tie. Haha.

Well you explained it wrong.:rolleyes:

What IS NOT permitted is as follows per the CCL website...... Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Steve

Yes they make it very CLEAR that shorts are welcome in the MDR except for "elegant night". When it is in writing it is APPROVED... period...

They do not care what your social awareness is... Take a chill pill.

Part of the problem is that some people don't realize that "approved" and "allowed" are far from the same thing. :rolleyes:

Yes, because people who don't like to put on suits or tuxes are low class scum who only know McDonalds :rolleyes: You sound like a snobbish idiot. Guess what? I make a lot of money, live in an extremely affluent area, know how to "hob nob" ... and I DON'T want to and will not wear a suit.

Look at churches, even many pastors don't wear suits anymore. In fact my pastor is one of the leading people, holding a key national office in the entire national denomination we are a part of - a very large and very conservative denomination in fact - and he preaches each weak wearing jeans. I've never seen him in a suit in fact.

CULTURAL NORMS CHANGE OVER TIME. Suits and tuxes are not required anymore. Get over yourself.

Guess what? I make a lot of money, live in an extremely affluent area, know how to "hob nob" ... and I DON'T want to and will not wear a suit.

What on Earth does having money have anything to do with knowing how to dress?

What on Earth does having money have anything to do with knowing how to dress?

What does "knowing how to dress" mean? As I said, people like WeBeCruisin' (and I'm assuming you too by your response) are stuck in a time warp 25 years or more ago and don't want to change. The problem is that cultural norms DO change. What was acceptable in the 80's was unthinkable in the 50's.

Things change over time. Patterns of dress change over time. Otherwise men would all be wearing robes/long tunics still. Times change. Go out to fine dinning restaurants. As a former chef, and a real foodie, I do. Very, very, very few restaurants ... even high end ones ... require jackets any longer.

If YOU like to dress "formally" feel free to do so. But that should not stop those of us who DON'T want to from also partaking of the dinning experience. I'm not advocating cut-offs and swimwear on formal nights (I also would have a problem there). But you guys polarize this into a "if you're not in a tux you are uncouth" argument that is ridiculous.

Thankfully the cruiselines have more sense than you guys seem to.

P.S. for the record I am all FOR enforcing the dress code as is. Cut offs/swim wear should not be allowed anytime. No shorts or jeans on cruise elegant nights that's a fine rule too (though on half or more of the other nights I will be in jeans with a nice, dress shirt).

Yes, because people who don't like to put on suits or tuxes are low class scum who only know McDonalds :rolleyes: You sound like a snobbish idiot. Guess what? I make a lot of money, live in an extremely affluent area, know how to "hob nob" ... and I DON'T want to and will not wear a suit.

Look at churches, even many pastors don't wear suits anymore. In fact my pastor is one of the leading people, holding a key national office in the entire national denomination we are a part of - a very large and very conservative denomination in fact - and he preaches each weak wearing jeans. I've never seen him in a suit in fact.

CULTURAL NORMS CHANGE OVER TIME. Suits and tuxes are not required anymore. Get over yourself.

Wow, Todd! You are the greatest! You're rich, live in a big expensive house and have a nationally-prominent minister.... you have everything!

Except class. :D

You call me a snobbish idiot? Isn't that a lot like "I know you are, but what am I?" How puerile and infantile. :)

If YOU like to dress "formally" feel free to do so. But that should not stop those of us who DON'T want to from also partaking of the dinning experience.

Not quite sure what a dinning is, but you can wear what YOU like. As long as you go to places that don't moniter a dress code, you have nothing to worry about.

Not quite sure what a dinning is, but you can wear what YOU like. As long as you go to places that don't moniter a dress code, you have nothing to worry about.

Actually, I follow the dress code. On normal nights I'm in either khaki's and a pollo or jeans and a dress shirt. Cruise elegant nights I wear dress slacks/dress shirt/tie. No jacket. No suit. But perfectly within the dress code.

What does "knowing how to dress" mean? As I said, people like WeBeCruisin' (and I'm assuming you too by your response) are stuck in a time warp 25 years or more ago and don't want to change. The problem is that cultural norms DO change. What was acceptable in the 80's was unthinkable in the 50's.

Things change over time. Patterns of dress change over time. Otherwise men would all be wearing robes/long tunics still. Times change. Go out to fine dinning restaurants. As a former chef, and a real foodie, I do. Very, very, very few restaurants ... even high end ones ... require jackets any longer.

If YOU like to dress "formally" feel free to do so. But that should not stop those of us who DON'T want to from also partaking of the dinning experience. I'm not advocating cut-offs and swimwear on formal nights (I also would have a problem there). But you guys polarize this into a "if you're not in a tux you are uncouth" argument that is ridiculous.

Thankfully the cruiselines have more sense than you guys seem to.

P.S. for the record I am all FOR enforcing the dress code as is. Cut offs/swim wear should not be allowed anytime. No shorts or jeans on cruise elegant nights that's a fine rule too (though on half or more of the other nights I will be in jeans with a nice, dress shirt).

Todd, sweetie, you're still missing the point. The cruiselines have made it clear that they prefer that you dress up with a minimum of a sport coat and tie for elegant night. They will, however, allow you to ignore their preferences because America is becoming more and more a nation of uncouth, selfish, "me, me, me" people.

Anyone with an iota of breeding, class or common sense would honor the request of their "host"....and make a point of dressing to conform to their host's preferences.

And, as far as your self-aggrandizement and arrant egotism are concerned, the drug dealers in most cities have a lot of money and live in big houses. But that doesn't mean they have any class.

Get over yourself, dear. :)

Archived