Any fancy Palaces we can go in--Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki?

elaine5

We went into the Royal Palace in Stockholm but it really wasn't all that fancy- not after seeing the palaces in St Pete. I do reccomend the military display at the castle- that is actually very nice but the actual rooms upstairs are just okay. Also if you are planning on pictures they don't allow them there.

JKW

I know this is not what you asked, but if you are doing a tour in St Petersburg, after you finish with those palaces, everything else will look down right poor. They Are simply unimaginable.

If you are anywhere near London, try and do a tour of Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle, two other places where simple taste was thrown out the window.

We went into the Royal Palace in Stockholm but it really wasn't all that fancy- not after seeing the palaces in St Pete. I do reccomend the military display at the castle- that is actually very nice but the actual rooms upstairs are just okay. Also if you are planning on pictures they don't allow them there. JKW

Agree strongly with my neighboring poster from Central Ohio, plus Giantfan13. Compared to St. Petersburg and some places such as Versailles, most of the palaces in the Baltics are nice, but of a different level and style. Copenhagen is a wonderful town with lots of charming history and architecture. Stockholm is nice. BUT, in the last 200 years or so, most of these Baltic capitals were not of the vast wealth and style to create such lavish palaces as we have seen in other places. The more modern "empires" of Denmark, Sweden, etc., were just not as big and vast to support such "glory" in their capitals. PLUS, by nature, many in Sweden and Denmark are not as inclined to be so "over the top" in their royal residences. Their design styles were not driven to do and afford royal "show-offs" in that manner. They did "IT" in Vienna, southern German, Italy, France, etc., but not in these parts of Europe.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived