Art Auction experience

trimix

There were some happy people last spring when Disney dumped Park West for the art auctions, given the high rate of bad experiences with Park West. But before my August cruise nobody posted a review of West End, and I see nobody has since.

So here's my experience. And it is not pretty. I don't know if it is typical, but it is enough to convince me that I will never consider doing business with them again.

I am a fan of Pino, and I previously owned two of his pieces. I saw a third I wanted onboard, and I thought the starting price was pretty good, so I looked up that piece online during the stop in Grand Cayman. The starting price at the auction was $675, and the best price I have found before or since was $650 - without frame - so I think I got a good deal at $675. I was told that I would receive the framed artwork before the end of September, and I debarked Aug 29th looking forward to receiving it.

In late September I emailed West End Gallery, using the email address on the receipt, to ask how soon I would receive the piece. I never received a response. This is, obviously, unacceptable.

On September 29 I called their number and spoke to a woman who didn't give her name. She took my invoice number, confirmed my phone number, and promised to call back that day after checking with the shipping department. She never did. This is, obviously, unacceptable.

Wednesday, September 30 my phone bill shows an 11 minute call - me calling them. This time a guy answered, took the same information, and again promised to call after checking with the shipping department. I asked to hold instead, and a few minutes later a familiar female voice came on the phone. This time she gave a name, Jay, and an extension number. She told me that they weren't supposed to have sold that piece of art, as there were no more in the warehouse. But she said that she would have it removed from the Magic that weekend, if it was still in proper condition it would be reframed and shipped to me. She apologized orally, and said to make it up to me she would have the "free" Disney print framed. I appreciated it, but would have preferred overnight shipping. But I didn't ask - all my purchases from REPUTABLE galleries have been shipped overnight.

The whole situation so far is totally unacceptable, but I decided to wait and see if they gave me a nice frame for that Disney print or if they included a letter of apology. Instead nothing happened. On October 7 I tried calling for a status update, but called too late - being on the west coast I needed to call before 2 PM.

Thursday, October 8 I was called by Jay who again apologized, told me the piece had been retrieved from the ship and showed no wear or damage, it had been mounted in a new frame, and she would call me the next day with a tracking number.

When nobody called on Friday the 9th, I called them at 1:35 Pacific / 4:35 Eastern. I was given a tracking number, and UPS showed the package had been shipped ground the previous Wednesday.

Here's more for the unacceptable list - on Thursday she says it will ship tomorrow, when it had already shipped? Communication between departments or offices at West End Gallery must be genuinely pathetic!

Believe it or not, it gets worse!

Friday, October 16, I finally receive my artwork. It is in good condition, which I didn't expect. But there is no legitimate certificate of authenticity! Remember I said I had previously purchased art from Pino? Every piece came with a certificate of authenticity from Classic Publications, Inc - a business I believe is owned by Pino's family. This piece came with a certificate from West End Gallery - something nobody educated about art would accept!

Fortunately it was early enough in the day, so I called them back at 1:34 PM Pacific time to ask for a return authorization. The second person I spoke with claimed to have all the original certificates and said she would send it immediately. She promised it would be in that day's mail.

After hanging up, and after 2:00 Pacific time, I realized I hadn't found the other frame. I then found an ENVELOPE with an UNFRAMED piece of Disney artwork! Even worse, IT WASN'T THE PIECE LISTED ON MY RECEIPT! Now even more angry, and trusting West End Gallery even less, I put together two envelopes - one from my Aunt and Uncle in Ft. Lauderdale to me, and one to them. I wrote a quick note asking them to send back the return envelope the same day they receive that letter, and sent it Friday.

Thursday the 15th I received my return envelope from my relatives, postmarked Monday the 12th. Friday the 16th I received the certificate from West End Gallery, with a meter stamp dated Friday the 9th. Considering how slowly it came, I suspect on Tuesday the 13rd they back-dated their meter - a practice the Post Office objects to, but something I was occasionally asked to do 20 years ago when I worked in a mail room.

So, to sum up:

They sold me something they weren't supposed to sell.

If I hadn't contacted them after I expected to receive the artwork, I would probably still be waiting.

They did not call back when they promised to.

They did not send the correct second print.

They promised to frame the second print, but did not do so.

They initially did not send a legitimate certificate of authenticity.

Sending the real certificate took longer than sending one letter to Ft. Lauderdale and getting a response.

After my experience I have absolutely no confidence in West End Gallery, I will never consider another purchase through them, and without hesitation I would advise other people to not purchase from West End Gallery no matter how tempting a piece or a price. Disney was receptive to criticisms against Park West, and I hoped to have a good experience, but instead I am disappointed to have had such a poor experience with West End Gallery. But I know Disney doesn't control West End Gallery, and the rest of my cruise was wonderful, so I am looking forward to three more cruises with Disney.

At this point I would like nothing more than to return the artwork to West End, get my money back, and spend more money to purchase the artwork elsewhere even though I would spend more. But after the experience of getting the artwork I would have legitimate concerns about getting the refund in a reasonable amount of time - if ever.

• 8 months later...

I had a very similar experience... I was on the Disney Wonder the first week of March 2010. It was the most amazing cruise (I'm partial because my boyfriend of 5 years proposed!) and we had a blast! We saw on our cruise itinerary, that there would be an art auction held by West End Gallery. Never having been to an art auction before...but being dedicated Disney fans...we decided to bid on a piece of Disney art (within price reasoning). We fell in love with a Ratatouille art piece named "Wine," and it was in our price range. We won the bid and were told it would ship within 5 weeks.

Five weeks had flown by in the excitement of our engagement and before I knew it 6 weeks had passed. I called 3 times and left 2 messages to West End Gallery with out getting a response. Finally on 4/15/10 I spoke with a woman named Stephanie. She informed me that the piece is on back order and it would be 4-5 more weeks until it is shipped out. I'm a very understanding person so I said it's not a problem, and went about my day.

Four weeks had gone by (now 5/12/10) and I wanted to see the progress of the artwork. I was told, by Stephanie, 3-4 more weeks! Stephanie informed me that a lot of the art work auctioned on cruises is not ready in their warehouse and that it may take time. This upset me...I wanted to know Why they would auction off art and promise a delivery time without having it readily available to send out. At this point I didn't even want the art anymore and wanted my money back. She told me she could not refund my money but she can refund the $40 shipping charge. She told me the $40 check with arrive with the art.

6/9/10 (now 3 months after our cruise) I called again... Stephanie told me approximately 2 weeks but can't promise anything. I was beginning to get very agitated with the situation. I told her I'll be calling again if I don't hear any thing in 3 weeks. I also confirmed that there would be a check covering the cost of shipping with my art...after asking if she could send it out immediately and being told no.

6/30/10- Bill (my fiance) thought he should take over because I was so upset about it. He called and Stephanie tells him that it is being framed as they speak and is shipping that afternoon. Finally! Some good news... or so I thought.

7/7/10 (yep...today) I received the art by UPS. I opened it to make sure it shipped okay, which it was. The frame was not the best...but I didn't care. I was just happy to finally have it in my possession. But wait... where is our shipping refund check?!?! No where to be found...so I figured. Bill called immediately and was told that there was confusion in their billing department and they are sending the check on Friday.

I wish I could tell you the outcome of whether we get our check or not... I guess we all have to wait to find out... But would I ever recommend bidding on art with West End Gallery? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Disney...you are much better than that...

We were on the Magic April in the Med. The auction was horrible. We attended to see what is available and usually pick up some small momento to remember our trip. Everything started out at a very high price and the price never dropped. If they sold four items at both auctions they were lucky. I never had the opportunity to experience their poor service and now I am happy that the auction was so poorly run that we did not purchase. As bad as the previous auction house was accused of being (we never had a problem and enjoyed them much more) its' replacement seems even worse. Oh well more time to lay by the pool.;)

It would be a tremendous service to future cruisers if you folks would write to DCL and let them know of your experiences. Feedback, especially the kind provided above with lots of facts and little speculation is priceless.

• 3 weeks later...

We've cruised around 15 times but made our first art purchase in April on the Disney transatlantic. Haven't received our print; got a different story every time we called (they never called us). Finally yesterday they said they'll issue a refund check this week. I'll never again buy art on a cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
Disney should just get rid of the auctions altogether, it's just a scam anyway. And while they're at it, why not get rid of Bingo as well. :-)

Wow! what ever happened to "to each their own?" Some may say that Swiss chocolate is a "rip off". But I'm sure others would disagree. ;)

Value, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While buying art at a shipboard auction for investment purposes is probably a very bad idea, the value of a piece can simply be whether the buyer gets a thousand dollars or whatever of enjoyment out of hanging it in their home.

Some people enjoy the art auctions and apparently there are enough buyers to make it profitable for the auction companies and the Line so they aren't going anywhere.

I'd recommend that if someone is considering bidding, unless they know exactly what they are bidding on, do a ton of internet research beforehand. Don't let the "free" champagne do the bidding for you.

the best thing about the Disney auctions are the Disney only pieces. For instance a couple of weeks ago I bought a painting of the Wonder at Castaway Cay. Those are the type of things that make sense to me to buy vs. some supposed up and coming artist

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Can someone post the west end gallery contact information. Lost my invoice and still waiting for the art. Need to contact them. Thanks.

I am going through the same mess at this time. I cannot get a definitve answer on the status of our paintings. Their number in Davie, FL is 888--658-3569 and the sales manager is Brett. Good luck.

Zqueeze

Aren't you people paying with credit cards?

then pick up the phone and call your credit card company and start a DISPUTE! If you let these folks drag this out then you may place your ablity to dispute at risk. Taking back thier money might MOTIVATE them!

OK. I have learned these go on your cruise account. I would still call the Credit Card company and dispute the charge and then I would contact DCL and ask for a refund as the services THEY charged you for were not provided!

You may have luck calling Disney Cruise Line and state your case. They may not look kindly on a company sullying their reputation.

Nobody is making anybody go or bid at the auctions. The same goes for bingo.

Yes, nobody is making you bid but if I bid, I would expect the art to be delivered in a resonable time. That's what the recurring issue is about.

Folks. Don't buy art on the ship unless you are certain of what you're buying. There's internet aboard, look up the value of the piece so that you can change your mind and buy it for a lot less at home. There's NO bargains on the ships.

Yes, nobody is making you bid but if I bid, I would expect the art to be delivered in a resonable time. That's what the recurring issue is about.

Folks. Don't buy art on the ship unless you are certain of what you're buying. There's internet aboard, look up the value of the piece so that you can change your mind and buy it for a lot less at home. There's NO bargains on the ships.

On our last cruise we bought a Sam Park piece that we loved. We did not attend the auction, we just said we wanted it and since they had the entire series (180 giclees I think) it was done.

When I did research online I found similar Sam Park giclees from other art houses going for much more than what we payed. Still hard to compare apples to apples since it wasn't the same piece but we felt the "deal" we got was worth it especially since it was also framed and the prices we found online did not include framing.

Yes it took longer than advertised to receive the piece....about 10 weeks instead of the 6 the invoice stated. But we received it in great condition and it looks perfect in our living room.

Definitely do your research.

Don't buy art as an investment.

If you can't carry it off the ship expect the shipping to be longer than the 6 weeks their invoice says.

Jim

• 1 month later...

I am getting the same run around from West End and also Disney. My artwork purchased on a November cruise has not arrived. They state 6-8 wks is the delivery time. It is way beyond that.

When I called the first time at 8 wks, I was told that they had the artwork, it was being framed and would be sent at the beginning of the next week. Three weeks later, yesterday, I called again. They told me that they had the artwork but the frames were "on order". You don't order frames... Sooo I called Disney. After 30 minutes on hold, I was told that Disney had no responsibility.Since I paid Disney, they certainly are involved in matter. The Palm Beach Better Business Bureau has given West End Gallery an F. Why is Disney doing business with such a company?

I am getting the same run around from West End and also Disney. My artwork purchased on a November cruise has not arrived. They state 6-8 wks is the delivery time. It is way beyond that.

When I called the first time at 8 wks, I was told that they had the artwork, it was being framed and would be sent at the beginning of the next week. Three weeks later, yesterday, I called again. They told me that they had the artwork but the frames were "on order". You don't order frames... Sooo I called Disney. After 30 minutes on hold, I was told that Disney had no responsibility.Since I paid Disney, they certainly are involved in matter. The Palm Beach Better Business Bureau has given West End Gallery an F. Why is Disney doing business with such a company?

If Disney invited the group to sell art on their ships, then yes, they are somewhat responsible just as they are responsible if one of their tour vendors offers up a lousy excursion. Keep the pressure on Disney, complain, complain, complain. They have the power to turn the screws on West End or whatever they call themselves this year.

It took us over 16 weeks to get all of our paintings. I wish we had been aware of the problems prior to purchasing. It seems we all went through the same nightmare and West End has become immune. It is a shame because, after all the stress, my wife absolutely loves our pieces.

I called Disney a few days ago.They told me that it was not a Disney matter.At my insistance, I was given an e-mail address for someone at Disney who look into the issue. I received an automatic confirmation that my e-mail was received. That's all, no response from Disney. I am a travel agent and am shocked that Disney doesn't have post cruise issues number. All other cruiselines do and I am able to assist my clients.

This is my issue and I have been on 50+ cruises and purchased artwork to be shipped and carried off from various lines. This is the first problem that I have encountered.It often takes several weeks for the artwork to arrive.I took the complaints that I read here at cruise critic with a grain of salt. ( should not have ), thinking that it was just impatience. I have serious doubts about West End Gallery and their ability to deliver what was ordered. While I don't want to do it, I may deny charges on my credit card which will go back to Disney.Maybe that will get Disney's attention.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on a disney cruise in nov 2010, and bought 4 pieces of art at the auction...I have yet to see the pieces and every time I call I get a different excuse. I have emailed and called Disney Cruise lines and they basically told me, its not their problem. I am so dissapointed with Disney and disgusted about this whole problem. I have left a message today with the Gallery telling them I would like a refund.

Soooo Mad!!

Archived