Food Choices on the Eurodam

Newcruiser06

We are cruising on the Eurodam in December and this will be my second cruise ever!

Last time was on Princess - I was disappointed as they didn't have good low-cal choices on the menus. When I asked about it, The Maitre D arranged for me to choose my meals every day the day before and they cooked my meals low fat low sugar. That made me feel special - but I'm hoping that HAL will have those choices on the regular menu.

Does anyone know if that's the case? Or do I need to try and make arrangements ahead of time? Or hope for a gallant Maitre D again.

I know I know- the food is a big part of the fun. But - I'm a dedicated weight watcher and it will wreck my fun to gain weight. :)

I think with any pre-planned menu you can make the calorie count lower. Order a salad with low fat dressing on the side. Pretty much any meat or fish dish can be broiled. Ask for steamed veggies. I am sure they will have no problems modifying the daily menu for you. But then again, you could burn off a few extra calories during the day right?

If you don't want to gain weight, and I know it can be an issue for some people;), you should inquire about their fantastic vegan offerings. I heard they are unbelievable and it is so worth talking to the maitre'd immediately upon boarding!

Good luck! Have a wonderful cruise!!!!!

One thing that I have learned about weight gain and cruising. Exercise !!!!

I make sure that I exercise more when I cruise compared to my normal couch potato lifestyle at home. This way I can enjoy a few extra treats throughout the day and don't have to worry about it. I know if I just lay around the ship and eat, well that's when the problem starts for me.

If you don't want to gain weight, and I know it can be an issue for some people;), you should inquire about their fantastic vegan offerings. I heard they are unbelievable and it is so worth talking to the maitre'd immediately upon boarding!

51PSZ4BE1FL._SS500_.jpg

51PSZ4BE1FL._SS500_.jpg

Wow. I cannot believe how you read my mind. What a great book! My book club just tried all of the recipes, I am not kidding. It took 36 months but we tasted every single "significant" recipe, if you know what I mean.:)

Do not forget the gym clothes. Can you imagine if you forgot them? I am such a gym rat, it would spoil everything.:) Ziggy is right, excercise and I add vegan. You will lose weight with this formula!

Bring on the Chocolate. I doesn't matter what size, shape or form it is in. :)

Bring on the Chocolate. I doesn't matter what size, shape or form it is in. :)

but chocolate is just not my deal. I get it though, that it is for alot of Holland America people, but I'd really rather eat fried smelts. Love them. :)

HAL always has low sugar options on the menu in addition to a complete (appetizer, soup or salad, main course, desert) suggested low calorie meal on the regular dinner menu every night in the main dining room. No need to make your choices the night before and dressing and sauces are always served on the side. You'll also see sugar free chocolate deserts many nights and at lunch as well.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

Crystal – Serenity, December 10, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Breakfast and lunch in the Lido can be made low-cal, as at breakfast you can choose yogurts, gravlax, fresh fruits, hot and cold cereals with skim milk, etc., and at lunch there is a nice salad bar, and several menu choices at the various stations, many of which are lighter fare. Low salt may be more difficult, but if you choose well, you can do a low cal and even vegetarian meal. I'm not sure about vegan. My problem is, I go for a few days with a fresh greens salad and a baked chicken leg for lunch, and then they have Filipino or Indonesian food featured one day, and I'm toast, wiping out several days of light eating with one (extended) lunch :D.

For dinner, HAL generally offers at least one vegetarian entree (the veggie lasagna is excellent whether you are vegetarian or not -- mmmm, cheese!) And of course you can get a salad with only a lemon slice, or oil and vinegar if you wish. They also feature "spa specials" pretty much each night; these are dishes that are lighter, lower cal ones. Again, vegan may be a problem, but if you ask your dining steward, I think they would be as accommodating as they could.

Dave

To the OP -- for dinner, the main dining room has "spa cuisine" noted for each course, so the lower-fat/lower sugar items are easy to identify. And as mentioned by others, you can also request extra "this", none of "that", and dressings on the side.

While this post was probably intended as "humorous", it is inaccurate. If a casual reader of this board read this comment (without knowing the poster's posting history) they would be receiving BAD information, which is not the intent of this board, is it?

Vegetarian dishes are available each night, but those are not necessarily vegan.

On Eurodam, the main dining room has "spa choices" that are lower in calories/fat. There is also an extensive selection of no-sugar desserts each evening. The ship's gym is absolutely FABULOUS if you're thinking of exercising while your aboard. There is nothing like running on a treadmill in rolling seas. ;)

I eat low fat/ low sugar as a way of life all the time. I don't need a 'special menu'. I simply make good choices. Every dinner menu has 'always available' choices of grilled chicken breast, salmon or steak. If there is nothing on the menu for the evening you think suits your diet, choose the chicken or salmon. Steamed veggies/salad with vinegar or lemon juice......

I don't see need for a special menu to eat healthy.

Lido is full of salad choices at lunch, bowls and platters of fruit, melons and berries. There's almost always rotisserie chicken, or something being carved such as ham (be sure you get lean) or turkey breast etc Skip the bread, butter, cheese, cream......

You know what is healthful, what is low fat, low sugar....... Choose well.

Thanks for the great info on this thread.

My wife has dietary issues and, based upon our river cruise experience, while most nights there are adequate alternatives, the "Captain's Dinners" have posed a bit of a problem as there is less choice on a much more limited and "special" menu.

We sail on our first ocean cruise in April, so please forgive a "newbie" question.

Do the Captain's Dinners (Formal Nights) onboard continue to offer considerable choice, or would it be better to choose one of the alternate venus on those occasions?

Thank you everyone for all the valuable information. I am even more excited about the cruise.

We have an inside cabin that will probably be at the bottom of the ship and I intend to take the stairs for everything! And I will definitely visit the gym.

Sugar free desserts? hmmmmmmmmmm

Can't wait!!!

Archived