Recommendations for 2nd Day in Kusadasi?

Our ship will be docked in Kusadasi from 7 am on November 19th to 3:30 pm on the 20th. We've already booked a full-day tour for the 19th which includes:

* Ancient Ephesus (including Celsus Library, Temple of Hadrian, Fountain of Trajan, Great Theatre, Odeon, Terrace Houses)

* Temple of Artemis

* House Of Virgin Mary

* Ephesus Archaeological Museum

* Basilica of St. John

* Sirince Village

We're trying to figure out what to do on our second day. We had initially considered trekking out to Pamukkale on Day 1 and touring Ephesus on Day 2, but I kept reading that Pamukkale isn't what it once was due to rampant tourism and prolonged droughts. Besides, we've been to Yellowstone several times and I've been told that their geological/thermal sites are more impressive and better preserved than Pamukkale's.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding what we could do on Day 2? Which of the following are most worth visiting?

- Miletus, Priene & Didyma

- Selcuk Castle & Isa Bey Mosque

- Pigeon Island

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Diana

I was in Kusadasi for 3 days last April. I have to say that I really enjoyed seeing Priene (my favorite of the three), Miletus, and Didyma. I did a full-day tour with Ekol tours on my own (just me and the guide) and it was fabulous. If you are at all into ancient history and ruins, this is definitely what I would recommend. Get to Priene as early as possible in the morning. If you do, you'll likely have it almost to yourself. I enjoyed wandering around on my own for a while, no sound other than the bells of the goats, who the shepherds were bringing up into the hills for the day. Didyma was fascinating as well....the workmanship evident on the carvings -- and the sheer size of the columns -- is amazing.

I also did Pamukkale and Hierapolis on another day. I haven't been to Yellowstone, but thought Pamukkale was worth seeing -- I did read about the damage being done (they are trying to rectify it now) by tourism. What was more interesting by far to me was the adjacent site of Hierapolis. This includes a wonderful small museum set inside the ancient Roman baths complex, a very atmospheric swimming pool where you can literally swim amongst the fallen Roman columns, and best of all, the necropolis. A walk through the extensive necropolis is really something to remember -- you'll see Greek, Roman, early Christian, and even Jewish tombs.

Have fun deciding. Seems to me Pamukkale was farther from Kusadasi, if that plays into your planning at all.

Archived