Finding an AFT Cabin

seniormom

We are taking our first Alaskan cruise. Have sailed the Carribean several times in the past. After reading this board, I feel like we absolutely have to have an AFT balcony cabin! I am almost to the point of not caring which ship, as long as I have an AFT. Does anyone have suggestions on how to find a cabin without having to go ship by ship, date by date, cabin by cabin? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Alaskan cruising - oh my gosh, prepare yourself - it is THE best! We're going back for our third - HAL's new 14 day itinerary next May 31st, including the "new" ports of Anchorage (yes, really - not Seward or Whittier! we're gonna sail right up Cook Inlet to the city itself!), Kodiak (home of monster bears!) and Homer, along with scenic cruising of Glacier Bay and the mighty Hubbard Glacier (which we've seen twice before - spectacular!), plus the usual ports of Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Sitka, and Victoria, BC. Its round trip from Seattle, which is a plus for airfares. Would highly recommend it if you can afford two weeks off for this spectacular itinerary!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand - aft balconies. We've been dying to try one as well. The past 2 times we sailed HAL to Alaska, we had a regular balcony - heaven, but still, not an aft! Those two times, we sailed on the Oosterdam, which is a Vista Class ship (larger) and has many more affordable balconies than the Amsterdam, the ship we will be sailing on next May (a much smaller ship - only 1,200 passengers compared to the Oosterdam's 1,800+). Because of her smaller size, there are fewer balconies on the Amsterdam, and therefore, the cost is quite high. So, to feed our "balcony" habit, we did what we feel is the next best thing. We booked cabin #7056 - on the aft of the Navigation deck. It is classified as an "outside oceanview" cabin, which means it has a large window looking out across a deck to the wake. The good part (here it comes, are you ready?), you slip out your cabin door, go approximately 5 steps to the door to an almost private covered aft deck, supposedly little used by anyone except those with cabins in the general vicinity on that deck who may have inside rooms and no balcony of their own. There are corner aft suites w/balconies on either side, so it isn't a promenade deck that others can walk around. There is a staircase outside that leads one floor up to the Lido deck with the aft outside pool and the oceanview bar. Very convenient for drinks or food! We love the idea of paying so much less than the balcony would have cost us, but still having our own "private" aft balcony so to speak just steps from our cabin - the best of both worlds and not as much $$$$$, which on a 2 week cruise is a real cost saver. Just something to consider.

To see photos of this cabin and the outside "private" deck I speak of, head over to the Holland America boards, at the top there is a thread of HAL staterooms/cabins that has been compiled by one of our fellow cruisers, Joanie, with photos of all catagories on all HAL ships. Cabin 7056 on the Amsterdam specifically does not show photos of it yet, but check out cabin #7086 on the Volendam, which is basically a "sister" cabins to our - I'm told they are exactly the same. There are photos on the Volendam site of 7086 so you can see for yourself.

Good luck in your planning, and happy sailing. You will so enjoy the majesty that is Alaska - and I guarantee, you'll want to go back!:p

We prefer something midships...the aft (and the larger balcony) for the 2 of us, just isn't worth the long walk back and forth, back and forth, etc....to the cabin everytime! We aren't hosting a party, or a dance on the balconey...we simply don't need all that space! We sit and watch the ocean, or read, or drink.....doesn't take alot of space!

First, you'll need to pick the actual cruise, and then, call and see what's available! Booking far in advance will broaden your chances of getting that much coveted "aft" cabin! Enjoy!

We cruised with NCL on the Star out of Seattle last year to Alaska and had an aft cabin on Deck 10. What a great choice. Able to see both sides of the ship while in port and while cruising. On the rainy days, it was out of the wind and the rain seemed to pass overhead. More room as well. Liked it so well we are doing it on the Pride of America next year in Hawaii.

Oh wow...now I don't know what to do. I had just about given up on the ability to have an AFT cabin, because I really need connecting rooms and there are not a whole lot of options. So, I found a really good connecting on NCL -- owner's suite connected to a balcony. HOWEVER, it is at the very front of the ship. It looks beautiful....but what should I watch out for on the front of the ship? Really windy? If it's raining...I can imagine it is a bigger problem up front than in the back? THANKS!

Certainly very windy when the ship is moving, no doubt about it. Also, if you hit rough seas, and sorry, don't know if that ship sails from Vancouver or Seattle, but if its Seattle, there is always potential for rough seas first day out and coming back in - you're in the open ocean after all. Our first AK cruise in 2006 from Seattle, we hit really rough seas the first night and into the next day. Didn't bother us, but many were sick. On our second AK cruise in 2008 from Seattle - smooth sailing the entire way. You just never know.

We had an aft port side balcony on the Island Princess last June and on Dolphin deck there is an observation deck all the way across the aft section. A few steps out the cabin door we were had a panorama view out of the wind, and still had the port side view on our balcony. Could not be better.

We just returned from the Emerald Princess in our first aft balcony and I can tell you we will not be booking another one. The view was beautiful and the size of the balcony was great (enough room for 4 chairs & a small table)....BUT

We could not use it because the smell would make you sick!!! :o It was a cross between a sewage smell & a landfill smell and the longer the week went on the worse it got. I have read about other people complaining about the smell, but we were hoping it wouldn't happen to us. The only thing we could figure out is we must have been below the trash holding area because it smell just like rotting food.

We had a second aft booked for our upcoming RCI cruise, but the moment we got home Sunday we called & changed to a balcony on the side.

I'm not saying they are all like this, but this was definately our experience and one we do not care to revisit. We are disappointed we paid extra for a balcony we could not even use.

Oh wow...now I don't know what to do. I had just about given up on the ability to have an AFT cabin, because I really need connecting rooms and there are not a whole lot of options. So, I found a really good connecting on NCL -- owner's suite connected to a balcony. HOWEVER, it is at the very front of the ship. It looks beautiful....but what should I watch out for on the front of the ship? Really windy? If it's raining...I can imagine it is a bigger problem up front than in the back? THANKS!

We had cabin 9006 on the Star. We loved having the front balcony and also a side balcony. We were not bothered by the wind. Views going forward were unbelievable! We went to Mexico but I would imagine that the Alaska cruise would be really something. We would do it again in a second. Whatever you choose have a great time.

• 1 month later...

We had always gotten a balcony on the Starboard side so we could see what was going on in port. But were offered an suite upgrade to an aft cabin on the Pearl. Every morning the balcony was littered with empty yogurt cups or sugar packages. Seems the deck above us was a dining area and the crew was evidently washing off the floor at night with a hose over the back, which happened to be our balcony. Also because the balcony stuck out further we felt people could hang over the above deck and look down at us. We will never book an aft cabin again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well...we finally booked. We are on Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas in a Two Bedroom Suite located on the aft corner. I'm really excited about the cabin as well as just going to Alaska. Thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions. Now I just have to figure out those excursions and whether or not to do MTD or regular dining. Choices, choices, choices......but a great decision to have to make!!;)

We just returned from the Emerald Princess in our first aft balcony and I can tell you we will not be booking another one. The view was beautiful and the size of the balcony was great (enough room for 4 chairs & a small table)....BUT

We could not use it because the smell would make you sick!!! :o It was a cross between a sewage smell & a landfill smell and the longer the week went on the worse it got. I have read about other people complaining about the smell, but we were hoping it wouldn't happen to us. The only thing we could figure out is we must have been below the trash holding area because it smell just like rotting food.

We had a second aft booked for our upcoming RCI cruise, but the moment we got home Sunday we called & changed to a balcony on the side.

I'm not saying they are all like this, but this was definately our experience and one we do not care to revisit. We are disappointed we paid extra for a balcony we could not even use.

That's the first time I have ever heard that about an aft balcony suite. Did you call someone from the cruise line to come to your room and smell the oder? Anyone else have an aft balcony cabin and experience this?

We have had an aft balcony on the Radiance and in Alaska.

You will find out just how terrific that location can be.

I don't know how you lucked into a FS. Someone must have cancelled. They are harder to get than the RS's. It is a super cabin and you will be totally spoiled. Alaska can do that to you too.

There were no odors of trash on the Radiance or her sisters and if we can't get an aft we will be as close as we can be. We never encountered soot either.

Please enjoy the benefits of Cruise Critic now that you are booked and go to the Roll Call board, click on RCI, find your ship and then your embarkation date. Join a group of fellow passengers who will have much to share and even more to offer. On our Radiance sailing every aft cabin with the exception of 1600 and 1602 were participants of our roll call. It made it even better as we all shared Hubbard Glacier hanging over our rails.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I had an aft cabin on the Miracle for my first cruise and would not want anything else..the walk helped work off dinner..lol. But those beautiful views and that wake was just stunning..this time I have an aft wrap..Every port coming and going we had the best views and the whole group of us would gather drink in hand and watch the island drift away. The only time you can see anyone is if they are standing at the railing..otherwise they are just as private as any other balcony...I'll try and post a photo of the wake..

P1040674-1a.jpg.fde19d74c7462a445b1b6f204866e1cd.jpg

Archived