Cruise Directors - Do They Really Matter?

MTJSR

Having read nearly every review on CC for years, It puzzles me how the position of a Cruise Director is not highly scripted and controlled by Princess Corporate.

A passengers cruise experience is dramatically effected by good or poor activity offerings by their cruise director. Therefore, other than a cruise directors personality influencing the management of those events/offerings, every passenger should be experiencing nearly the same level of activities as passengers on other ships. Typically it seems they are free to run their own creation of an activities program not shared or replicated by their peers.

The subject of a cruise director solicits a lot of mixed opinions, Therefore I would think the cruise lines would want that front line position to sell the cruise experience consistent with a passenger expectations.

A passengers cruise experience is dramatically effected by good or poor activity offerings by their cruise director.

Good topic MTJSR and I'm guessing you'll generate a lively discussion but I'd disagree with this stipulation. The cruise director makes absolutely no difference in our cruise experience. We don't really do many activities or shows--we're on the ship for the sea and the ports.

Maybe we're in the minority and I'm looking forward to seeing other posts.

When we started cruising we were of the opinion that the Cruise Director didn't influence our experience much. He was rather like an MC at a variety show - introduced the acts and said "Aren't they great" at the end.

Then we had one who was somewhat of a beginner and also whose sense of humor didn't do anything for us. It made us want to avoid some of the better performances. And we've seen many who enhance our experience.

We've since met a CD and had time to talk with her personally over an off-ship lunch. Then we found out about how much the CD has on their plate, including selection of many of the singers and dancers. The daily chores are from 6 a.m. to after 11 p.m., and include not only what we see but also the CD's personal interaction with all the musicians and performers in the background. The job is absolutely demanding and it is amazing the CD's can keep everything going, even with the best of staff.

Yes, a lot of what CD's do is pretty scripted, but there is a tremendous amount that has their personal touch. And some of the best are those who can make everyone feel a little more special, and interact with the passengers. We've even had a CD remember us from cruise to cruise a year later - which is amazing considering the number of people who he had met during the intervening time.

Can CD's make a difference? I would say a resounding YES.

We could care less who the CD was.. in 8 cruises,, I have no idea who we have had or not had. We don't even listen to the annoucements, ( unless the word "rogue wave" are involved) and we don't attend pool games or bingo..

Who the CD is on our cruise means less then nothing to us.

Yes, I believe the CD sets the tone of the cruise and a good one can make sure everyone enjoys the entertainment and various things to do on board, especially sea days. I know I sure do notice when there is a bad one on board and it makes me really appreciate a good one!:D

Aloha Kakou,

Well, as someone who has been involved with the cruise business off and on, (mostly on) since 1990, and also as someone who has been a cruise director, I can tell you that it does make a difference. If for nothing else, the management style of a CD greatly impacts his or her staff, and that will directly influence your experience, and/or the "vibe" of the crowds and the ship itself. It's the same thing as does a captain make a difference, (aside from how well he or she pilots the ship) or does a hotel director make a difference.

Getting back to the topic of CDs. The job has changed a great deal and while it used to be a glorified MC, it has turned into so much more. I would not want to be one anymore. Too many meetings, protocol, paperwork, seminars etc etc for my tatstes.

Also, CDs have a hand in programming activities and shows. If you go to the shows, they impact you greatly. Some programming is clever as far as show order or which acts to put on with other acts. Someone who doesn't know how to program flow into a show will negatively impact your experience.

I could go on, and of course it's all just my opinion, but I believe it does shape your cruise, and impact the procuct for everyone.

Aloha and Malama Pono,

Dave

Having read nearly every review on CC for years, It puzzles me how the position of a Cruise Director is not highly scripted and controlled by Princess Corporate.

A passengers cruise experience is dramatically effected by good or poor activity offerings by their cruise director. Therefore, other than a cruise directors personality influencing the management of those events/offerings, every passenger should be experiencing nearly the same level of activities as passengers on other ships. Typically it seems they are free to run their own creation of an activities program not shared or replicated by their peers.

The subject of a cruise director solicits a lot of mixed opinions, Therefore I would think the cruise lines would want that front line position to sell the cruise experience consistent with a passenger expectations.

Wow... your post is very timely.

my review of our recent cruise on the Sapphire has raised a few hairs on some. A few mentioned that our cruise director seemed "unavailable" for most events, except for the main show lounge and the champagne pour.

This statement seemed to bring out others to say... they could care less who the cruise director is... and they (the cruise director) has nothing to do with "their" cruise experience.

Personally... after many cruises... I have found that the best times we've ever had on a cruise is when the cruise director is "hands on" and involved with the passengers, his cruise staff, and with the day to day operation of the entertainment. The cruise director DRIVES the entertainment... and his staff, who in turn provide an uplifting atmosphere for the passengers.

Yes... there are those that DO NOT want to be entertained, but I don't believe that to be the majority of the passengers. to that extent... they don't have to participate in anything... just enjoy the ship.

But for those who wish to be involved and entertained, but yet find NOTHING offered or available... then to me, the CD and his staff have failed to do their job.

just my opinion...

On a HAL cruise with my mother, who had a health crisis onboard, the CD went out of his way to be supportive of her, and, when she wasn't around, he commiserated with me. Made a big difference at a trying time. And - I'm gay - on my first cruise, the CD came around to the first FOD meeting and was really outgoing, then greeted me when she saw me around the ship. I really don't care whether or not my cabin steward asks what I've been up to, but having a hands-on cruise director has made a couple of my cruises just that much nicer. Since then, I've made it a point to be friendly if I run acoss a CD.

The cruise director makes absolutely no difference in our cruise experience. We don't really do many activities or shows--we're on the ship for the sea and the ports.

Absolutely 100% agree. We couldn't care less who the CD is or even whether there's one on-board or not. Do people really need someone else to organise their holiday ..?? I've never understood why people are always asking "Who is the CD" on any cruise. As long as I'm there I don't give a damm.

Same applies to the MD and Captain too, as long as there's someone steering the ship and someone to get me a table I'm happy.

I think there are two parts to the question.

First, do I care how visible the CD is at ship activities and what his/her personal "people" style is? No, not at all. I can truthfully say that the only CD from Princess that I remember AT ALL is John Lawrence, certainly not for his people style, but for his lectures and knowledge about the Baltic ports. On the flip side, we had an EXTREMELY annoying CD on our Alaska cruise back in 2001 or 2002; he insisted on doing his own vocal performance before almost any event that he introduced. His voice was okay but not what I came to see and it always delayed the performer (and took away time from their performance).

However, I realize that, like an iceberg, 90% of what the CD does is not visible to the passengers. And I would say that the CD's own style does make a huge difference here in the way they run their staff, plan, manage, and delegate. As someone already said, a good CD makes for a happy staff that knows how to do their jobs.

So, yes, a good CD does make a difference, but probably not in the way some people think.

(Please Princess, no more "performing" CDs -- unless they are performing in the staff show!)

Tough call.

If you don't participate in many of the on-board activities, the Cruise Director and his performance are probably unimportant to you.

If you are a participant, and he is doing a poor job, it usually shows.

While he/she does not make a big difference to me - I do think some are better than others.

Aloha Kakou,

Well, as someone who has been involved with the cruise business off and on, (mostly on) since 1990, and also as someone who has been a cruise director, I can tell you that it does make a difference. If for nothing else, the management style of a CD greatly impacts his or her staff, and that will directly influence your experience, and/or the "vibe" of the crowds and the ship itself. It's the same thing as does a captain make a difference, (aside from how well he or she pilots the ship) or does a hotel director make a difference.

Getting back to the topic of CDs. The job has changed a great deal and while it used to be a glorified MC, it has turned into so much more. I would not want to be one anymore. Too many meetings, protocol, paperwork, seminars etc etc for my tatstes.

Also, CDs have a hand in programming activities and shows. If you go to the shows, they impact you greatly. Some programming is clever as far as show order or which acts to put on with other acts. Someone who doesn't know how to program flow into a show will negatively impact your experience.

I could go on, and of course it's all just my opinion, but I believe it does shape your cruise, and impact the product for everyone.

Aloha and Malama Pono,

Dave

Good information...Knowing what his/her job really is helps to change the perception they are strictly there to be visible and lead every activity.

Aloha Kakou,

I could go on, and of course it's all just my opinion, but I believe it does shape your cruise, and impact the procuct for everyone.

Aloha and Malama Pono,

Dave

We're ALL indispensible - even Hawaiian CD's (not... maybe...) We all think we're indispensible... ego, self-esteem. The WHOLE world revolves around US! (Yawn)

I'm part of the LARGE contingent (after a dozen or more cruises) that couldn't tell you who the CD was or recollect a concrete episode involving the CD. OK they Do come to mind on reflection... The CD role (as a cheerleader) hasn't been eliminated in this cut-cut-cut product environment so the lines believe it to be necessary. As a role, it is important to the more ship bound or activity involved cruiser and they're a large contingent too.

But on the critical necessity list the CD who places the position up their with the Captain makes me grin. But hey! It's an entertainment job and performers need exuberant egos!

The Captain, the Hotel Director, the head Chef - AND his primary lieutenants... These folks all play a more important role in my cruise than the CD... But I suppose the cruise would be a tad quieter (and duller) without them.

I'm gay - the CD came around to the first FOD meeting and was really outgoing, then greeted me when she saw me around the ship.

Me too, we get around don't we. We had a great CD on Sapphire in Jan she arranged FOD meeting EVERY afternoon, with champagne on the last day! I must admit she is the only CD I remember.

Ithink a bad cruise director creates more negative feeling than a good cruise director creates positive feeling.

I think many of us assume we're going to have a totally positive shipboard experience and a good cruise director just sort of blends into that experience.

But when a cruise director does a poor job (bad announcements, no enthusiasm, little if any mixing with pax), we think it lessens our cruise satisfaction.

In our 8 cruises, we've only had one poor cruise director, and that cruise was so port intensive that maybe there just wasn't adequate opportunity for him to show that he was good.

I also think we tend to attach too much significance to the term "Cruise Director". Perhaps "Entertainment Manager" or "Senior Host" would give us a better idea of what the job encompasses.

Just my opinion.

Count me among those who used to think the CD had no effect on my cruise. Then we had a cruise with a lot of sea days...if there had been a great CD in charge, we'd probably still think the CD had no effect on our cruise. But on that cruise, staff would show up late (at times not at all) for listed activities, or be there but make it clear that you wanting to do that activity was interfering with their plan (which was entertaining themselves, not the passengers). This was for the active outdoor activities. I think things like bingo and trivia went as scheduled. Anyway, we've changed our mind about the CD's importance and effect.

Aloha Kakou,

Aloha and Malama Pono,

Dave

I also used to think the CD had no effect on my cruise. We enjoy cruising for the relaxation. We don't usually participate in the activities. Just lay around and read, etc. However, we cruised last year on the Golden with Dave (above) and David Cole , the CD. The weather didn't cooperate and it was cold and windy for a lot of the 14 days. So instead of laying around we took ukulele classes, lei making classes, etc. I also started noticing that everything ran really smoothly and everyone on the ship seemed to be happy. What could have been a not-so-great cruise because of yucky weather ended up being a lot of fun! Who knows, maybe we'll start checking out the activities on all our future cruises.

If the staff is under stress it will show and everyone will be unhappy!

These organizational skills are the part of the CD's job that most of us take for granted. I know that I never will again.

I will have a great time on a cruise good CD or not. However, it was not until my Alaska cruise on the Coral that I realized what a difference a really good interactive CD staff means. A CD does not work alone, and the young assistants on this cruise were excellent at interacting with the passengers, getting them interested and involved while never being pushy.

I have no memory of the CD on this cruise although I know I saw him from time to time. I don't need the prestige of the CD knowing me personally. Since he could not be everywhere at all times he seems to have been working behind the scene making sure his staff was out front tending to the passengers enjoyment, and some of them did know my name. Because of his management abilities I give him an excellent rating.

I'm of the opinion that while a less than great CD may not ruin a cruise, a really great CD can make a cruise so much better. We have been on many cruises where the CD was just average in my estimation and we have still had an absolutely great time. Much of the time it is the CD's staff who is really out front leading the activities and if they are good at what they do, it helps.

However, when the CD is really great as has been the case with our two Hawaii cruise, it enhances the cruise experience greatly. I might never have known the difference if I hadn't cruised with a truly hands on and actively engaged CD, but now that I have I do see the difference. Does it make or break the cruising experience? Not necessarily. But I sure do appreciate the added enjoyment a really great CD brings to the table.

Many of us go on cruises for the entertainment and socialization that we get to do when we play our trivia games, etc. A CD is responsible for arranging all this and it is a major responsibility. It's nice to get to meet the man in charge but understand if he's too busy. He does have quite a large staff that he has to deal with. We don't go to as many shows as we used to since they keep repeating the same ones all the time but we love trivia and some of the other evening entertainment. On our last cruise the CD had to scramble when we ended up with several extra sea days and quickly provide activities for those who wished to have something to do. It was too cold to sit by the pool. I think he did a wonderful job. He also showed up at our last CC meeting and explained an awful lot to us to make us understand the workings of the ship. And you could tell by the way the staff was that he was a good CD. Makes it all the more enjoyable.

I'm of the opinion that while a less than great CD may not ruin a cruise, a really great CD can make a cruise so much better. We have been on many cruises where the CD was just average in my estimation and we have still had an absolutely great time. Much of the time it is the CD's staff who is really out front leading the activities and if they are good at what they do, it helps.

However, when the CD is really great as has been the case with our two Hawaii cruise, it enhances the cruise experience greatly. I might never have known the difference if I hadn't cruised with a truly hands on and actively engaged CD, but now that I have I do see the difference. Does it make or break the cruising experience? Not necessarily. But I sure do appreciate the added enjoyment a really great CD brings to the table.

I completely agree. Out of 12 cruises I can remember the name of only 3 CD's. Each had the unique ability to run a complete entertainment and activites program but still be perasonable and approchable. Each made a good cruise great. Strangely enough I have cruised twice with each:

David Cole, Mercury & Golden Princess

Mark Warner, Monarch of the Seas

Johnny O., Monarch of the Seas

Most CD's I don't remember. The bad ones I try to forget. And you know they are bad, poor personality, lack of activities etc.

The good ones we never Forget . the Golden to Hawaii last December, our cruise director was at every activity to the wee hours. We were wondering if he every slept. A great guy.

Well put Karatemom. A CD is an essential part of the smooth running of the events and a good CD can really enhance the events through good management and creativity.

Archived