Priceline Help

gehrandt

I've been bidding 3 1/2 star San Pedro - Mar 5 and getting turned down - someone mentioned getting Crowne Plaza for $65 - I'm up to $76 and no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Tks.

P.S. does anyone know how priceline bids are actually accepted or rejected? All computer or a real person?

I used priceline for the first time last month to try to get Crowne or Doubletree. I have read threads where people are getting the Crown for $65 or so. I offered $60 and Priceline reply was offer anotheer $17 ($77 total) and you'll get it. So I did as I wasn't going to get crazy over a couple of bucks. I needed 2 rooms for 4/30/10 and got them for $77 base each. Don't know the reasoning. Maybe the date your looking for is full at the lower rate?

You don't always get the low prices.

If the hotel is almost booked you

will have to pay a higher price.

We always have gotten the lower

price till this time. Couldn't get it for

November. Kept having to go higher

and higher.

Did better thru the hotel.

I've been bidding 3 1/2 star San Pedro - Mar 5 and getting turned down - someone mentioned getting Crowne Plaza for $65 - I'm up to $76 and no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Tks.

P.S. does anyone know how priceline bids are actually accepted or rejected? All computer or a real person?

I am having trouble booking either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree at a discounted rate too. I can't find a reason why there should be a run on hotel rooms in the immediate area.

Two cruise ships boarding passengers on the 6th and two more boarding passengers on the 7th.

There might be an unusually large number of people boarding on the 7th that have booked two or more days in advance.

Good Luck!

There is a website that I have used in the past to help me with my Pricelince bids but I think board rules don't allow me to mention it. If you email me at my screenname on yahoo, I'll forward the info.

You can mention it: It is betterbidding.com

Also check the actual hotel for prices and availability, it could be they are getting full on the dates you are trying for.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried bidding lately? I checked Hot Wire for May 29 and they do not list any San Pedro hotels anymore. Wonder if Priceline has DT and CP anymore. I was hoping to get Double Tree. Do you think maybe it is just to early?

It could be, as stated above, that some colleges will be off at that time for spring break (the schools have worked together to stagger the breaks over a four or five week period to help out the warm weather areas from getting inundated). Our local public school district (the second largest in the country) always takes off the week prior to Easter, so at that time, cruises out of San Pedro and Long Beach will be very crowded with school-aged kids.

March 7th is the day of the Oscars telecast, but I would imagine the hotels nearer to the Kodak in Hollywood would be affected. I can't imagine too many academy members staying in San Pedro.

• 2 weeks later...

I was having trouble getting my PL bid accepted for awhile too... I kept offering higher and higher bids but they weren't accepted.

I finally figured out it was because I was trying for a one night stay on a "holiday" weekend (seriously, Valentine's Day????).

We talked it over and decided to fly in on a Friday instead of Saturday and backed our bid back down to $60 but bid on a two night stay, and the bid was accepted.

I know it sounds weird - we're paying more to stay two nights, but it ended up our airfare was actually $90 per person cheaper to go on Friday than on Saturday, so in the end we DID end up saving by starting our vacation a day early!

Good luck!

Ann

It could be' date=' as stated above, that some colleges will be off at that time for spring break (the schools have worked together to stagger the breaks over a four or five week period to help out the warm weather areas from getting inundated). Our local public school district (the second largest in the country) always takes off the week prior to Easter, so at that time, cruises out of San Pedro and Long Beach will be very crowded with school-aged kids.

March 7th is the day of the Oscars telecast, but I would imagine the hotels nearer to the Kodak in Hollywood would be affected. I can't imagine too many academy members staying in San Pedro.[/quote']

Um,, maybe your schools have stagggered spring break,, but my post was talking about western Canada,, BC,, and Mexican cruises are very popular here as its a cheap and fast flight south for us( Florida is twice the price and three or four times the travel time).

Hello,

I have some questions about Priceline. I have used this website several times so I have a general understanding of how it works and yet...

How do you bid for a specific hotel? If I know that the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro is a nice hotel, how can I ensure that this is the hotel I get if my bid is accepted?

How do you know that the hotel does not charge you for incidentals like the beach fee charged at the Hyatt Hotel in Huntington Beach? Or, that parking at the hotel is the only alternative and that the parking fee is very high? I knowthat taxes will be extra but the incidentals.

And if someone has used Priceline at the Crowne Plaza, could you let us know what your final bill was, that is, comparing the bid and the bill at check out.

Thanks,

I have some questions about Priceline. I have used this website several times so I have a general understanding of how it works and yet...

How do you bid for a specific hotel?

You don't have an understanding of how Priceline works, as you can not bid on a specific hotel. You can bid on an area, and a star rating in that area. If there is a hotel that is willing to accept the amount that you bid (that works with Priceline), and is rated at the star level you want, you get it. You do not know what the hotel is until after you have paid for it.

You pay the same resort fees and parking fees that anyone else pays. If you do your research, you have a rough idea of which hotels are being used, where they are located, if they charge a resort fee, and what their parking fees will be.

Krein,

As a former Michigander (Detroit area), I asked the question because I have read many times that persons using Priceline were bidding for specific hotels. In particular, the Crowne Plaza and Double Tree hotels in San Pedro. Is there a way that youcan bid a specific hotel?

The way you describe it, has been my understanding of how Priceline works, and I have used it in this manner.

Thank you for your response.

• 1 month later...

Hi,,

We needed a hotel room on March 5th also.. we are cruising ont the 6th out of San Pedro.

I used Priceline for first time tonight,, very exciting,, like gambling,, LOL

I bid on a 3+ hotel in either San Pedro or Long Beach.

I got the Westin Long Beach for 75 dollars. I thought that was pretty good.

We will just take a taxi to San Pedro in am,, I read it should only be about 10 dollars,, does anyone know if thats correct?

I entered Long Beach as a consideration as we will arrive in early afternoon and I thought it sounded like there is a bit more to do or see in Long Beach then San Pedro,,hope thats right.

Krein,

As a former Michigander (Detroit area), I asked the question because I have read many times that persons using Priceline were bidding for specific hotels. In particular, the Crowne Plaza and Double Tree hotels in San Pedro. Is there a way that youcan bid a specific hotel?

The way you describe it, has been my understanding of how Priceline works, and I have used it in this manner.

Thank you for your response.

I think Crowne Plaza and Double Tree are the only 3.5 * hotels in San Pedro on Priceline. I started bidding for these for 1/23/10 at $65 and am up to $100 and still haven't been able to get one of these hotels. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried doing 3 and 3.5* for San Pedro and I've tried 3.5* for San Pedro and Long Beach, airport area.

Thanks for any help.

I think Crowne Plaza and Double Tree are the only 3.5 * hotels in San Pedro on Priceline. I started bidding for these for 1/23/10 at $65 and am up to $100 and still haven't been able to get one of these hotels. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried doing 3 and 3.5* for San Pedro and I've tried 3.5* for San Pedro and Long Beach, airport area.

Thanks for any help.

I suggest you look at bidding at a hotel in Long Beach,, even with a shuttle to pier in San Pedro costing 32 dollars for two people,, a hotel in Long Beach may be a cheaper option if you bid say 65 dollars.

Personally,, I think you left it way too late. The early worm gets the deals.

Archived