When the cabin steward layed out your PJ's

We would always bring a pair of new PJ's on the Oceanic. We never wore them to bed, but those Home Lines cabin stewards would go through every drawer and closet until they could find something that resembled bedclothes that could be artfully arranged on the bed during their evening turn-down service. We learned this the embarrasing/hard way during our first Oceanic cruise when the steward carefully arranged our old, ratty, holey (but comfortable) PJ bottoms. We made sure that we packed "presentable" PJ's after that.

I remember this ritual from my voyages on the Italian Line. I found it much more interesting than the towel animals one sees nowadays. Was the steward or stewardess sending a message?

I will occasionally lay out bed clothes at home for overnight visitors. They're always amazed and then have to listen to the story behind it all.

Oh I remember those days. I would leave my nightgown out and I would return to find it in the shape of an anchor, or something else. I probably have a few pictures around that show this. It was just a nice little thing they did. I also remember the fresh squeezed oj every morning. Oh well a lot of things have changed and some for the better, for instance the cruise fares are so much lower now than 20+ years ago.

Annieeee

French Line would unpack....the Italians always went teh extra step...too funny!!!

I remember this ritual from my voyages on the Italian Line. I found it much more interesting than the towel animals one sees nowadays. Was the steward or stewardess sending a message?

I will occasionally lay out bed clothes at home for overnight visitors. They're always amazed and then have to listen to the story behind it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival use to do this in the old days as well. On one cruise we had a game going with the steward, we would hide the nightgowns but he would always find them. After the first cruise I would bring a new one just for the steward. lol

They would also get your newly bought t-shirts and make animals out of them, which would make them unwearable until washed. Glad they no longer have time to do these things.

• 2 weeks later...

Costa cruises in 1992 did it as well...it was so funny one night at the superb evening meals one of our male table mates sheepishly asked me about it as he was single and did without jammies..took some getting used to...as I recall they always made the waist a bit more flattering than reality...that was truly a fun funny little quircky (sp) part of the cruise...nowadays I suppose it would move too quickly into harassment issues that unfortunatley are not always unfounded...this was Costa Riviera.

Wow, you just brought back a couple of memories of yesteryear. I do remember coming back to my cabin to see my night clothes arranged on the bed.

Do you remember when they had separate interior rooms used exclusively to blow dry your hair or use curling irons?

Hello and yes..on the Costa Riviera ship the hair fixing and clothes ironing all happened in little rooms on at least every cabin deck...I remember I was not too close or too far...I can not remember the hair or jammies deal from my first cruies on a very small Epirotiki ship..Apollon II...oh no..is this a bad sign?

Eww, I would not like my cabin attendant going through my stuff to find my PJs! OR unpacking it - I would not know where to find things!

WOW...I just am shaking up the morning at about minus 15 degrees F at the moment, logged on, came here and meandered into Peru..which I hope/ guess is ok. For on topic, it is best to have folks out of your "personals",

for a joy of the day...your Peru photos...thank you...also my dear grandparents were Aunt and Uncle Boots to quite a few here in Montana...

both born in 1902 and 1903 and one of best friends son fell in love with Peru and has stayed to help as Medical emergency person...you all had a real heart adventure and I need to get in touch with my Peru visiting friend...thanks again...Boots, I take it , was neat woman on trip with you...thanks again...sjn911.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
We learned this the embarrassing/hard way during our first Oceanic cruise when the steward carefully arranged our old, ratty, holey (but comfortable) PJ bottoms. We made sure that we packed "presentable" PJ's after that.

Same thing happened to DW on Celebrity Solstice in December, 2008.

recently, I did the folded BRA..huge, with bath towel for my steward..he loved it..always fruit to eat w/ chocolates too..and you barely had your shoes off after returning from port, that he wasnt at your door with Iced Tea, soda..or whatever..we think they never slept, as they were always in the little galley of theirs..and rush back in to point the "TP" for you. Thems was da daze!

Here is what they did back on the Carnivale in 1991. They didnt go thru your stuff, but our TA, who was a family friend, suggested we leave our night clothes out and see what happened.

scan0054.jpg

Our cabin steward got a joke one night.. We took all our dirty clothes.. Stuffed them into a pair of jeans, and a t-shirt. The t shirt said save water drink beer.. so of course we propped our person up on a pillow, turned on a small light and put a hat on his head and shoes on his 'feet'... Then we made 'arms' and put a beer in the crook. The cabin steward came in to to turn down the bed thought my dad was asleep and left...

He then saw us in the hall and did a double take...

He then saw our 'trick' and propped our buddy up on the toilet.... We had a fun trip...

Can't wait to see what my kids come up with! They are going on their 1st cruise!

Just got back from the Brilliance of the Seas. I was suprised to find my nightie beautifully arranged each night, so it's not a dying tradition!

Usually it was placed into a butterfly shape but our lovely attendant did a few others which I can't remember.

After the first night, my sister-in-law hid her nightie because she didn't want the attendant having to spend time arranging it!

Archived