Hotels in Vancouver

My DH and I will staying one night in Vancouver after our cruise next summer.

I have been doing some research and narrowed my choices down to five hotels:

- Holiday Inn Downtown

- Hotel LeSoliel

- Delta Vancouver

- Terminal City Club Hotel

- St Regis Hotel

I was wondering if anyone has stayed in any of these hotels? If so, any information, positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

My DH and I will staying one night in Vancouver after our cruise next summer.

I have been doing some research and narrowed my choices down to five hotels:

- Holiday Inn Downtown

- Hotel LeSoliel

- Delta Vancouver

- Terminal City Club Hotel

- St Regis Hotel

I was wondering if anyone has stayed in any of these hotels? If so, any information, positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

As downtown Vancouver is very compact, I would just bid a 3½ or 4 star selection on priceline and take what you get. You'll get something good, and for a lot less than booking online now.

As otehr people have pointed out, the St Regis is anotch down from the others, but recently renovated (it was a complete dive until 2 yrs ago)

We stayed at the Westin Bayshore last May after our cruise. It was a fantastic hotel in a great area fairly close to the Cruise Terminal and Stanley Park. We got it through Priceline at a great price.

We stayed at the Westin Bayshore last May after our cruise. It was a fantastic hotel in a great area fairly close to the Cruise Terminal and Stanley Park. We got it through Priceline at a great price.

While it might be close to the CANADA PLACE cruise terminal, it's still a couple of miles from the BALLANTYNE terminal that OP will be using (RCCL). That being said, everything is a couple of miles from BALLANTYNE, and if you find a hotel near Ballantyne, RUN don't walk away.

• 2 weeks later...

Our May cruise will end in Vancouver & since we've never been, we're adding an extra day and flying out the next morning.

I have a few questions if someone doesn't mind answering:

1) What area should we stay in to be able to walk around and see the major sites? We'll be arriving on the Princess Sapphire so I'm unsure where that ship docks - if there is more than one port...

2) Is there a good mass-transit system in Vancouver? We'd prefer to see the city on our own if it is easy to get around.

3) In the absence of a decent mass-transit system, can anyone recommend a tour? We'll be there on a Saturday in May.

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate the insight.

Our May cruise will end in Vancouver & since we've never been, we're adding an extra day and flying out the next morning.

I have a few questions if someone doesn't mind answering

1) What area should we stay in to be able to walk around and see the major sites? We'll be arriving on the Princess Sapphire so I'm unsure where that ship docks - if there is more than one port...

Princess (for the past few years) have been docking downtown at CANADA PLACE

2) Is there a good mass-transit system in Vancouver? We'd prefer to see the city on our own if it is easy to get around.

Very good system http://translink.bc.ca/ An all day ticket is $9, buy as you go are $2.50/$3.75/$5.00 for 90 minutes (1/2/3 zones). Including a direct subway from 3 blocks from Canada Place to YVR Airport

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.287403,-123.094854&spn=0.034206,0.090895&z=14 shows a few highlighted routes and locations

While it might be close to the CANADA PLACE cruise terminal, it's still a couple of miles from the BALLANTYNE terminal that OP will be using (RCCL). That being said, everything is a couple of miles from BALLANTYNE, and if you find a hotel near Ballantyne, RUN don't walk away.

We sailed on the Rhapsody of the Seas(RCCL) last May and docked at CANADA PLACE. So I guess there are no guarantees that if you are on RCCL you will be at Ballantyne. We walked and wheeled our bags from Canada Place to the Bayshore Westin. If you dock at Ballantyne I think you have to take a taxi anywhere.

We sailed on the Rhapsody of the Seas(RCCL) last May and docked at CANADA PLACE. So I guess there are no guarantees that if you are on RCCL you will be at Ballantyne. We walked and wheeled our bags from Canada Place to the Bayshore Westin. If you dock at Ballantyne I think you have to take a taxi anywhere.

Yeah, I've sailed RCCL from Canada Place, but it's unusual, and only occurs at the very beginning and end of the cruise season (May & Sept)

I have a few questions if someone doesn't mind answering:

3) In the absence of a decent mass-transit system, can anyone recommend a tour? We'll be there on a Saturday in May.

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate the insight.

1. Stay anywhere in the downtown area between Stanley Park and Hamilton St. Avoid the 'downtown eastside' like the plague

2. The mass transit is decent for the downtown but not for the north shore. It is spectacular from the centre of downtown (Georgia and Granville) to the airport- 25 minutes and 3-4 dollars. Drops you right at the departure gates.

3. The best tourist sites are the north shore mountains and the Museum of Anthropology at the western tip of Vancouver on the university campus. Neither is particularly accessible by public transport.

3 The best tours are Grey Line. there is also a HOHO tour. The well known suspension bridge is a bit of a tourist trap but probably worthwhile. The scenery at the fish hatchery is almost as good without the kitsch.

Yeah, I've sailed RCCL from Canada Place, but it's unusual, and only occurs at the very beginning and end of the cruise season (May & Sept)

yes that must be right, the Rhapsody was re-positioning from Australia and then beginning the first Alaska cruise of the season. The only ship at Ballantyne was the Celebrity Constellation.

2. The mass transit is decent for the downtown but not for the north shore. It is spectacular from the centre of downtown (Georgia and Granville) to the airport- 25 minutes and 3-4 dollars. Drops you right at the departure gates.

3. The best tourist sites are the north shore mountains and the Museum of Anthropology at the western tip of Vancouver on the university campus. Neither is particularly accessible by public transport.

Both are easy on the bus/seabus/skytrain

a) Seabus to North Van then #236 "GROUSE MOUNTAIN" straight up the hill (past both the Capilano Suspension Bridge, and the fish hatchery). In traffic it could take a lot longer than that just to cross the Lion's Gate Bridge from downtown. (2 zones - $3.75)

b) #44 UBC bus, direct from downtown to UBC, and a 10 min walk on the UBC campus to the Museum. (1 zone - $2.50).

A collective thank you to those who answered my plethora of questions. Please know that taking the time to answer is appreciated. :)

I'm copying and pasting the answers so I can plan our itinerary.

Thank you again - I now have everything I need to know for Vancouver!

Archived