Switching cabin assignmens after boarding

Brickwood

I am planning a cruise with multiple families next year. I was offered a great price which was also available to my DH and DS, but not to anyone in the other two families. So I booked three cabins, one in my name, one in DH's name and the third in DS's name with the other two families spread out amongst the three cabins. I booked through Princess and they said we could have the keys switched around once we board. That made sense at the time but now I'm not sure about credit cards and checking in. Do we need to all check in together to get it straight? Or, will each person have their own boarding pass and be able to check in as separate families and then we can all get together after we're on board and go to the purser to get it straightened out? If families check in separately and the members are assigned to different cabins, can they still designate that charges go to one family member's credit card so it really is a matter of just switching keys later?

I'm obviously confused and hope you can understand what I'm trying to find out!

When you fill in the personalizer, you will specify the credit card that will be used for charges. You will then need to present that card at checkin.

The cabin switch should not affect the credit card that you checked in with.

I am planning a cruise with multiple families next year. I was offered a great price which was also available to my DH and DS, but not to anyone in the other two families. So I booked three cabins, one in my name, one in DH's name and the third in DS's name with the other two families spread out amongst the three cabins. I booked through Princess and they said we could have the keys switched around once we board. That made sense at the time but now I'm not sure about credit cards and checking in. Do we need to all check in together to get it straight? Or, will each person have their own boarding pass and be able to check in as separate families and then we can all get together after we're on board and go to the purser to get it straightened out? If families check in separately and the members are assigned to different cabins, can they still designate that charges go to one family member's credit card so it really is a matter of just switching keys later?

I'm obviously confused and hope you can understand what I'm trying to find out!

We did the very same thing on the Ruby in Sept. Check in like normal. Once on board you and DH and DS should go to the purser and have the cabin assignments changed. The credit card accounts, OBC's and any pre-booked tours, etc follow the person, not the cabin. We had no problems with the accounting on our statements at the end of the cruise. It takes 24 hours for the new cruise cards to be issued. Until then the original card will work for charges but will not open the cabin doors for the people that are moving. The names outside the cabins will not be changed, at least not for us. These were small inconveniences considering we were saving $3500 on 2 cabins. We also put the final cabin number on our luggage tags so we didn’t have to switch the bags. I hope this is some help.

When you fill in the personalizer, you will specify the credit card that will be used for charges. You will then need to present that card at checkin.

The cabin switch should not affect the credit card that you checked in with.

Sorry to disagree, but the credit card used to pre-register does NOT need to be the same one presented at the pier. There's absolutely no problem changing cards at the pier and each person can present their own card.

Sorry to disagree, but the credit card used to pre-register does NOT need to be the same one presented at the pier. There's absolutely no problem changing cards at the pier and each person can present their own card.

That's true. Just give them whatever card you want to use for that account when you check in.

I have always read of switching cabins being down without problems.

Yesterday I read the following thread. Check out what he had to say under the "Embarkation" section.

Hopefully an isolated incident.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1081202

All I can say is that we had no problems at all. Just be sure not to use the original cruise cards after the new cards are issued.

Fully agree with you. I was just trying to keep it simple.

Archived