Disappointed with Carnival?

phisig28

I just got back from a cruise on the Glory and must say that we had a great time, but was greatly disappointed when we came back. We were looking to book another cruise. I called my PVP and was told that there is no discount for booking after a cruise, or that there really is no past guest discounts anymore. With the new early saver program, everyone gets the same rate. Is anyone else upset by this? I have cruised Carnival several times, but am now looking for another line. I feel my loyalty should be worth something to them! Maybe they will get a clue. :)

I think there is some confusion. The Welcome Back credit was discountinued last August 9th.

There is still a past guest rate, but maybe it wasnt on the cruise you wanted to book, it is not very far out usually. ES rates are almost always better than past guest rates later on when they come out closer to your cruise date ... but yes past guest rates still exist.

There isnt a future cruise booking desk on Glory as we have been discussing on some of the other two threads on the subject now on the front page. Some other people seem as surprised as you they arent on their ship or Glory either. Only on 5 Carnival ships so far. .. and unfortunately Glory isnt one of them.

There past guest prices where never the lowest rate in my experience and if you book through an outside agent you could always, and still can, get a lower rate. And frankly there are so many if's and but's with es rates I can't be bothered. Frankly I get past guest rate offers from RCCL and NCL and I can always find a lower rate online in 10 minutes of less.

As for never cruising carnival again, well, if I turned away from every business that changed their plans on me I'd never go anywhere or do anything!

I am also disappointed in the early saver program. We are booking a cruise on the Freedom June 19, and we are also past guest. The early saver is the best price at this time. I was disappointed to find out that there are not alot of cabins available for this rate. We are booking 5 inside and 1 balcony, there were no balconies available on decks 7, 8, or 9. I felt like I was dealing with Delta about my skymiles. I also feel that past guest should get something over a first time guest. Two years ago we booked using past guest, and a couple going with us had to pay the regular rate. It just seems strange now. Oh well, nothing we can do.

In my opinion the ES program is working very well. The problems that most people are having could be elimated or greatly reduced if they would simply take the time to read and follow the program rules and then ask plenty of questions before they book their dream cruise of a lifetime.

Sadly, now that CCL has more and more "mini categories", it's going to be tougher to snag those OBC's with ES. I can't say I like it, but, CCL is wising up, as to keeping OBC's and the like to a minimum, aside from the penalties for changing an ES booking. I've said it before, CCL ain't stupid!:rolleyes:

Guest bahamamama1

Guest, past guest, early saver, whatever.. just look at the price and if you accept it then get it and if not then don't. Why be "upset" over it ? :confused: The price is what it is. Take it or leave it, let thefree market speak.

Guest, past guest, early saver, whatever.. just look at the price and if you accept it then get it and if not then don't. Why be "upset" over it ? :confused: The price is what it is. Take it or leave it, let thefree market speak.

BUT BUT BUT , Aw SHUCKS I sound like a motor boat :rolleyes:.

Lets go Phillies , Let's Go !

:D Oops wrong forum !

Please elaborate on this FREE market :rolleyes:

All 3 things the OP complained about, if they had come here before their cruise, none would have been a surprise. Doesnt take much research on the Carnival site comparing rates to find out ES is cheaper mostly than the past guest rate.

... or that the welcome back credit was discontinued.

... or that Glory doenst have a future cruise desk.

Some surprises and the lack of research arent good surprises I guess.

There has been considerable talk about the ES (Early Saver) program. Just remember that you will get the best price but you take a risk since an ES cruise cannot be cancelled by you. You are obligated from the point of purchase.

Guest bahamamama1

Please elaborate on this FREE market :rolleyes:

Are you serious or was that a rhetorical remark ?

In the event you were serious, simplistically put, businesses pretty much let the paying consumer dictate the price they can ask for goods and services. The free marketplace. You put your goods and services out in the marketplace and let the public decide what they are willing to pay.

If Carnival can fill ships without having to offer discounts and credits then let them. I am sure their stockholders would appreciate it. Businesses exist for the purpose of making money.

There has been considerable talk about the ES (Early Saver) program. Just remember that you will get the best price but you take a risk since an ES cruise cannot be cancelled by you. You are obligated from the point of purchase.

At the risk of losing a hundred bucks , you can still move the date .

It happens !

There past guest prices where never the lowest rate in my experience and if you book through an outside agent you could always, and still can, get a lower rate. And frankly there are so many if's and but's with es rates I can't be bothered. Frankly I get past guest rate offers from RCCL and NCL and I can always find a lower rate online in 10 minutes of less.

As for never cruising carnival again, well, if I turned away from every business that changed their plans on me I'd never go anywhere or do anything!

Hey Rob, long time no see!!!!

Well, on this note I think its time to shut this down for the night.

If the cruise itself had been dissapointing, I can see coming back and saying Im switching cruiselines. What makes no sense to me is coming back and saying that things the OP could have easily known even before their cruise are a reason to change cruiselines ... .and Iv heard a lot of reasons ... but never because they didnt like how Carnival books past guests. ... you either like the rate or you dont and dont book.

Are you serious or was that a rhetorical remark ?

In the event you were serious, simplistically put, businesses pretty much let the paying consumer dictate the price they can ask for goods and services. The free marketplace. You put your goods and services out in the marketplace and let the public decide what they are willing to pay.

If Carnival can fill ships without having to offer discounts and credits then let them. I am sure their stockholders would appreciate it. Businesses exist for the purpose of making money.

Well for you nic ,you have the right drink in your hand !:D

My comment was in jest ! However you have an interesting point,

If Carnival can fill ships without having to offer discounts and credits .

However ,Carnival is not filling the ships !:rolleyes:

Guest bahamamama1
Well for you nic ,you have the right drink in your hand !:D

My comment was in jest ! However you have an interesting point,

If Carnival can fill ships without having to offer discounts and credits .

However ,Carnival is not filling the ships !:rolleyes:

Well then I wish they were not filling them in Galveston because we pay higher rates than anywhere else. :eek:

WAH WAH WAH - WHERE IS MY OBC !!!!!!!!!!

All 3 things the OP complained about, if they had come here before their cruise, none would have been a surprise. Doesnt take much research on the Carnival site comparing rates to find out ES is cheaper mostly than the past guest rate.

... or that the welcome back credit was discontinued.

... or that Glory doenst have a future cruise desk.

Some surprises and the lack of research arent good surprises I guess.

If one really wants to research a cruise there are far better options than these boards. While the boards are good for passing information in an entertaining way, they shouldn't be used for solid factual information. There are too many snide comments, posters who think they're funnier than they are and the self-styled expert cruisers who honestly believe they know it all. So many posts are reduced to arguments over a totally different subject than was originally posted. Why would anyone with a life want to read through hundreds of posts to find out three things?

These boards are good for ideas and for a chuckle but that's about it. You definitely have to take these boards with a more than a few grains of salt.

I just got back from a cruise on the Glory and must say that we had a great time, but was greatly disappointed when we came back. We were looking to book another cruise. I called my PVP and was told that there is no discount for booking after a cruise, or that there really is no past guest discounts anymore. With the new early saver program, everyone gets the same rate. Is anyone else upset by this? I have cruised Carnival several times, but am now looking for another line. I feel my loyalty should be worth something to them! Maybe they will get a clue. :)

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO phisig28: I have not been disappointed by Carnival except for one cruise. Law of averages catching up on that one. However, both before that cruise Carnival did not disappoint so I was more than willing to go with them again. With other cruise lines if I didn't have a good experience with them before I am not willing to try them again.

If one really wants to research a cruise there are far better options than these boards. While the boards are good for passing information in an entertaining way, they shouldn't be used for solid factual information. There are too many snide comments, posters who think they're funnier than they are and the self-styled expert cruisers who honestly believe they know it all. So many posts are reduced to arguments over a totally different subject than was originally posted. Why would anyone with a life want to read through hundreds of posts to find out three things?

These boards are good for ideas and for a chuckle but that's about it. You definitely have to take these boards with a more than a few grains of salt.

LOL! I agree to a certain extent.......but I have to say there is great info in the ports of call section........

LOL! I agree to a certain extent.......but I have to say there is great info in the ports of call section........

Iv gotten a lot of information on these boards?

What other places have better information than CC?? curious minds want to know.

Iv gotten a lot of information on these boards?

What other places have better information than CC?? curious minds want to know.

I agree to the extent with the other poster that you will not get reliable info on some of the topics here because of the cheer leading and what not.........and sometimes I cringe when a newbie will come in and swallow up some of the nonsense:cool: It comes down to who ya gonna believe:p

Not really the reality in some cases.......

But if you stick to the basics.......ports of call, class of ship, itinerary......you can't go wrong.......but I would never tell anyone to rely on just one site for info........

I agree to the extent with the other poster that you will not get reliable info on some of the topics here because of the cheer leading and what not.........and sometimes I cringe when a newbie will come in and swallow up some of the nonsense:cool: It comes down to who ya gonna believe:p

Not really the reality in some cases.......

But if you stick to the basics.......ports of call, class of ship, itinerary......you can't go wrong.......but I would never tell anyone to rely on just one site for info........

What other sites would you check out for info though ...

Archived