"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

The most important, research the excursions and NEVER use the ship excursions!

IMO I'm not sure I agree with this one. Yes, ship excursions are more expensive. But to a new cruiser, not knowing what to expect, there is some safety and security. One less thing to worry about. Once you have a few cruises under your belt, then you are more knowledgeable about the routines. I have done 3 cruises and have mainly stayed stayed with the ship excursions. Now I am branching out more.

Awesome thread, and I've not even read a third of it yet. Enjoying every post.

But one piece of advice I haven't seen yet is to go to the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on the ship!

I've enjoyed every one I've attended, and met people I had conversed with on these boards for months.

And if you're lucky like I was on the last cruise, may even have the captain send the entire group personalized invitations to a private bridge tour later in the cruise

Bumping this up for more tidbits. :)

I have already gone through most of the thread and c/p ideas into a notepad that I will use when packing.

I am preparing to take my very first cruise and we are very excited. :D

There's a Kindle ebook that may appeal to you and other first-time and novice cruisers - How to Be a Crafty Cruiser.

http://amzn.to/oiCtdv

Enjoy your cruise. You' ll soon be as hooked as the rest of us! :)

IMO I'm not sure I agree with this one. Yes, ship excursions are more expensive. But to a new cruiser, not knowing what to expect, there is some safety and security. One less thing to worry about. Once you have a few cruises under your belt, then you are more knowledgeable about the routines. I have done 3 cruises and have mainly stayed stayed with the ship excursions. Now I am branching out more.

I agree with you. First time cruising is stressful enough, but to be Travel Agent for your own excursions is very daunting. You can always stick with the basics (city tour and shopping) unless you really know an area. Once you've cruised and gotten the hang of it and know some of the ports then it's very comfortable to book your own.

Magnetic flashlights and locker mirrors adher to the walls (usually) - both are handy additions to any cabin (just don't forget to remove and take home).

Carry a whistle.

Bring a battery operated' date=' motion sensor light - cabins get dark at night, no matter the category.[/quote']

I brought a tap light with me to put on my headboard, just like I have at home.

If you do use zip ties please remember to put a small pair of scissors in one of the outside pockets of your suitcase!!!! otherwise you wont be able to open your suitcase! just sayin' :rolleyes:

I use a pen or pencil. Slip it in and turn it around until the tie stertches and breaks. Easy and worked every time. ( Found that trick out of necessity after forgetting to follow your advise)

I have the same movie in the player almost every night. The A & E version of Pride and Prejudice, I could practically recite the lines from the whole movie. But, part one is around 3-4 hours long...a good bit of sleep for me!

:eek: I thought I was the only one! I cannot fall asleep with a TV on most of the time, but A & E Pride and Prejudice is my go to for sleepless nights. I think it is because I love it, but there is nothing that startles me (squealing tires, gun shots, screams..etc). How funny!

I wish I would have known on my first cruise:

1. The food is not all that great in the MDR. OK, but not great. Adjust your expectations, or at the very least, go to dinner with a good sense of humor!

2. The Odor blocking garbage bags make a great laundry container, take no room in your luggage and stop the clothes from smelling up your closet or luggage!

3. A highlighter would have been helpful, I was a little overwhelmed by the daily options and found myself confused each morning trying to figure out what I wanted to do.

4. Rolling your clothes takes up much less room than folding, I could have packed a smaller bag.

5. Do not worry about your body type and how you look being in a swimsuit or how you look in your formal dress: Showing that you are confident and having a good time will make you look fantastic from a size 4-40! Have fun, talk to people, laugh and do not sweat the small stuff!

My comments in colour.

:eek: I thought I was the only one! I cannot fall asleep with a TV on most of the time, but A & E Pride and Prejudice is my go to for sleepless nights. I think it is because I love it, but there is nothing that startles me (squealing tires, gun shots, screams..etc). How funny!

I wish I would have known on my first cruise:

1. The food is not all that great in the MDR. OK, but not great. Adjust your expectations, or at the very least, go to dinner with a good sense of humor!

I was very pleased with the food in the MDR on the MSC Musica. Far more varied and different from the Italian food back home.

2. The Odor blocking garbage bags make a great laundry container, take no room in your luggage and stop the clothes from smelling up your closet or luggage!

I used plan bags, but thanks for the advice - next time I may try this!

3. A highlighter would have been helpful, I was a little overwhelmed by the daily options and found myself confused each morning trying to figure out what I wanted to do. One of the most useful things I brought with me.

4. Rolling your clothes takes up much less room than folding, I could have packed a smaller bag. Totally agree. The difference is amazing.

5. Do not worry about your body type and how you look being in a swimsuit or how you look in your formal dress: Showing that you are confident and having a good time will make you look fantastic from a size 4-40! Have fun, talk to people, laugh and do not sweat the small stuff! Agreed! I wore a short cocktail dress (flapper style) on formal night despite my disfigured legs and had a great time

Enjoy, you all!

So they can call the ship back while they are standing on the dock watching it sail away without them. (LOL) ;)

Or maybe call a cab to get them to the airport.

Let's see, maybe you could blow the whistle when:

1. In MDR ... People arrive late, wear shorts, service is slow.

2. You catch kids playing on the elevator.

3. Scooter riders could blow it to let you know they are gonna run you over.

4. When you get tired of waiting for a drink.

5. You see children in the Solarium.

6. In the WJ, someone takes too long picking out their food in the buffet line.

Gotta get me a whistle.:rolleyes:

Other whistle suggestions appreciated.

Edited by johneeo

Field-tested some of these tips on a recent land trip to the UK. Best thing that I did was to take a collapsible laundry bag (the kind that springs out) from the $ store. Just flattened and shoved it --complete with dirty clothes--into my suitcase at end of trip. Took back-of-door organizer and did not use but could see doing so if shelving was very limited. I did use a LL Bean hanging personal organizer (medium size) that was a simply wonderful way to organize and store toiletries and meds. Took coordinating layers that I anticipate using on our Alaska cruise --worked well.

If you had to list your top 5 points/tips that you wish you had known before you went on your first cruise what would they be? Examples, like binder clip for the shower curtain or that the first drink is NOT free, etc.

My friend is going on a cruise for her honeymoon and neither have been on one before and she just doens't have time to read these boards, wedding planning and all, so I thought I might compile a list for her. I tried composing one myself but found that I just kept forgetting things. Thanks for everyone's help!

SODAS are NOT free!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the daily paper to know what's going on board the ship the next day.

This was where I was going. Not really a secret, but take a highliter and mark what you want to do the next day before you go to bed. Makes it a lot easier to organize your day and get the most out of your cruise experience. But, don't try to do to much. Enjoy doing nothing sometimes too.

Edited by rudechuck

What a thread! Very good points.

My thoughts are do NOT overpack. It's okay to wear your same favorite shorts a couple times or shirts. Next - think of what you absolutely need. Prescription meds come to mind. If you forget something by mistake, you can buy it! Relax, you are going on vacation!:)

If you plan to be in the sun more than 20 minutes bring sunscreen and where it. I once burned terribly in Melbourne when the high was 75 on Christmas. I had to change my massage 2 times until the burn went away. :eek:

I loved that someone mentioned bringing documents of proof of marriage if you have different last names. Even if you did have the same name it is good to bring this copy. You never know what another country will do or not in case of an emergency.

I do suggest bringing several one dollar bills for tipping room service (especially if you plan to get coffee every morning like we do).

I would also suggest staying mid-ship if it is your fist time cruise and bring some anti-motion sickness medicine just in case.

Also, do not forget to do as much as possible online before the cruise. It will save you time later and you can plan ahead.

Lastly, smile and enjoy that cruise! Tip extra if you love your service.

J

Just amazing how all the "local" crafts are same throughout the islands. Did find some better local crafts on the FRENCH side of St Maarten.

How true. One thing we really, really wished we'd bought in the Caribbean was a T-shirt saying 'Different island, same s**t!' (slightly unfair because the souvenirs generally are nice, but we agreed with the sentiment!) Definitely agree with buying souvenirs in St Maarten if that's on your trip - much wider choice and cheaper prices than most of the others.

If you had to list your top 5 points/tips that you wish you had known before you went on your first cruise what would they be? Examples, like binder clip for the shower curtain or that the first drink is NOT free, etc.

Can't keep it down to 5, but FWIW:

1. Buy your travel insurance before you even think of booking. We lost all our money on our second cruise because my husband had an accident and the insurance was bought after the cruise was booked - we now consider it well worth the (small) extra charge to have annual insurance in place.

2. Don't set your sights too high. Our first cruise was a budget one, and we reckoned that if the accommodation, food and entertainment were the standard of a good-quality inn, we'd be happy - they were all soooo much better!

3. Stay away from the moaners - some people are never happy, and they'll spoil your cruise too if you let them.

4. Don't book too many excursions - if you really want to do one in the first couple of days, book that, but once you're on board, just ask the other passengers - they'll give you lots of help.

5. Don't overpack - no more than 2 outfits for 60% of the cruise. Wash them in the laundry halfway through (but as someone else said, check there is one on board!). Make sure you bring at least one 'proper' pair of comfortable closed shoes for sightseeing - I slipped into a broken grid in one port and my shoe was ripped almost through; if I'd been wearing sandals, that would have been my foot.

6. Pack a full change of clothes including swimwear in your carryon, and if the weather will be substantially different, change on the plane. A friend's luggage went missing for 3 days, and he had to wear his UK clothes for over a day in the Caribbean before the carriers would agree to pay for replacements! Also include suncream, any prescription meds (with a letter from your doctor if going outside your country), toothbrush and toothpaste.

7. Check out *all* the dining options – some ships have more than one restaurant of the same level, and for some reason, one is often far more popular, and thus more crowded than the other!

My list of essential items - seems like a lot, but most are small and/or light. I keep almost all these in a special ‘cruise box’ so there’s no last-minute searching – to given an idea, the box is about half the size of a cabin bag (although obviously, most are packed in the hold bag).

• Power strip with a lead (some ships - P&O for instance - don't have room between the table and the socket for one of those 4-in-1 strips that have the sockets directly below the plug), and multi-adaptors.

• E-reader, which doubles as an MP3 player, plus headphones (for those who prefer real books, check if there's a library on board - if there is, take enough books for the journey out, use the library on board, and then swap with someone else for the journey back).

• USB adaptor that plugs into a socket for charging electronic items, like said e-reader.

• Battery charger and lots of spare batteries.

• Kettle and teabags (sorry, what a stereotype! ).

• Credit card that doesn't charge any fees for currency conversion (and I contact CC company and mobile phone company before travel), and Travelex currency card loaded with appropriate currency (less fuss than travellers’ cheques and safer than cash).

• Currency calculator (and electronic phrasebook if appropriate).

• Travel pillow, eye mask, earplugs and wrap (to use as blanket) for the plane.

• Light rainproof cape.

• Collapsible rucksack – excellent for the beach.

• Clothes line with pegs.

• Laundry tablets (they're less messy than powder or liquids) - on our first cruise, the shop ran out of washing powder! Those Purex strips sound rather good, though. Or if there isn’t a laundry on board, a tube of handwash liquid.

• Drawstring laundry bags (from a US dollar shop) – so much longer-lasting than plastic bin bags and take up less room than even a collapsible hamper. On the outward journey, I use them to protect my evening dresses.

• Suncream (including high-factor lip block) and insect repellent, esp. if visiting islands - usually v. expensive both on board and ashore.

• Roll-up panama hat and baseball cap – take up far less room than straw hats.

• Highlighter pen for marking up the things that take our fancy on the ship's newspaper.

• Alarm clock (esp in the Caribbean - unless you really love the idea of being woken up at 3am every time you get within texting distance of another island, don't use your phone as your clock!).

• Alcohol hand cleanser, wipes, and disposable loo covers, and in case the worst happens, Imodium and rehydration tablets, plus first aid kit including band-aids and ‘instant dressing’ for blisters, and travel-sickness pills.

• Mending kit.

• Large zipped pouches plus some Ziploc bags for holding all these bits.

• Hanging cosmetic bag – better than the over-door shoe bags, as all the individual compartments have zips, so I don’t need other bags for cosmetics, hair accessories, etc.

• Waterproof neck pouch to hold valuables when swimming ashore; Ziploc bags usually aren’t good enough).

• Dictaphone (same reason as in post #118.

• Luggage scale with hook.

• Duct tape.

And my 'don't bother with' list:

• Towels - they're all provided, including beach towels.

• Toiletries – all the ones I’ve had were very good quality.

• Hairdryer – if there isn’t one in the cabin, ask the attendant.

Our travel kit is very similar to this--we keep it in a tub in a closet and pull out what we need depending on the trip length. Using wipes instead of bottled items frees up the carry-on liquids allowance. I have a separate phone from Mobal for when I visit the UK and Europe that just activates when I'm there (family is in UK-I live in US). The luggage scale has become invaluable!

Edited by Alaskanb