Express disembarkation in San Juan

philv

We are sailing on March 7, 2010 out of San Juan on Caribbean Princess for Southerh Caribbean Classic itinerary. Ship returns to San Juan 6:00 am on 3/14. I just received notice that American Airlines changed my flight time out of San Juan on 3/14 from 11:50 am to 10:30 am. We thought 11:50 was a little tight but now I'm really worried about 10:30 am departure. In Florida Princess had an express disembarkation routine for those with tight schedules. Does anybody know if Princess does same in San Juan?

Yes, they will have walk-off disembarkation. You and about a thousand others will be doing the same thing (us included in Dec.). I just hope it isn't a nightmare trying to get a taxi. There are usually 3 ships in port and that means a lot of passengers off-loading within the same time frame. I'm worried about making our 11am flight too. Hopefully, the CB will be the first ship inspected and we can start disembarking before the other ships.

Just did 8 day CB repo,and bought new luggage to roll off. I was told Self disembarkation is not offered in San Juan, all luggage must be scanned before ship is cleared. I had to give up luggage the night before, caused frantic repacking, good thing we stayed in San Juan for a few days.

We were on the CB last year and San Juan does not allow self-disembarkation. PLUS, you have to go through agricultural inspection at the airport. For you to make this flight you will have to be one of the first off and pre arrange a limo to get you to the airport. Do not use Princess transfers. This will get you to the airport before the crowds come and delay security. Oh, security is REALLY slow in San Juan with the air machine that inspects you.

Yes, security at SJU is a mess, always. I'm really surprised about not having walk-off disembarkation. I was told that they had it. Also, I was told that if you're getting off a cruise ship, you do not have to go through the agriculture inspection at the airport (although many people do not know this).

Just checked again with Princess and they said it is a new change as of the first sailing of this season, which was last week. Not sure if that's true if the poster above did not have the walk-off option last year. Hmmm...very hard to get a straight answer sometimes!

I know they offer EZ Check, but from what I understand, it is also different at SJU. You have to claim your luggage, take it through customs, then turn it in again to be taken to the airport. I guess it saves you a little time at the airport since it doesn't have to go through security, but it's pricey at $20pp when you have a family of 4.

I too jsut talked to Princess and US Customs is requiring all luggage be checked so there is no Express . Any flights after 11 am can use the EZ check. I guess that too will eliminate the need to go through the agri check but does anyone know that it is true you dont need to go through agri check at teh airport if coming from a cruise ship. We are sailing December 6

I know that coming off the CB on Nov. 1, we were asked by airline employees while in the check-in line if we had gone through the agricultural check. They didn't ask us whether or not we had just come off the cruise ship. Neither did anyone check as to whether or not our luggage has the "agricultural check done" stickers attached. So the answer is - who knows?

As well, while on the jetway - this is quite after security, and just before getting on the plane - CBP asked everyone what country they were from. Don't understand that either.

And to make matters more interesting, we saw people coming off the ship with luggage - and it didn't look like the stuff one needed for the night before and that morning. We didn't see anybody stop them either.

I can understand Princess (or any other cruise line) not wanting to crowd public areas where people are waiting for disembarkation with luggage, whether or not screening of same is a CBP requirement before leaving the ship. But I wish there was better communication, because it makes no sense for luggage to be screened three times, particularly if an agri as well as a security screening has to take done anyway at the airport.

Yes, security at SJU is a mess, always. I'm really surprised about not having walk-off disembarkation. I was told that they had it. Also, I was told that if you're getting off a cruise ship, you do not have to go through the agriculture inspection at the airport (although many people do not know this).

We just did the express walk off with our luggage on Sun and other then the first group not getting off until 8:40 customs was a breeze.

That is so strange!!! That is exactly the info. I've heard from other people too - that you CAN do Walk-off Disembarcation. Very, very strange...I suppose we'll hear from those on the Nov. 1 CB cruise after Sunday.

Really don't know why they would stop it. It works well.

Archived