Calling All Sweet-Smelling Ladies! What is Your Signature Fragrance?

TerriSea

I may be the only one, but I love, love, love men's cologne. I wish there was something similar in ladies fragrances. Whenever I try new scents, I am never very happy because I wish they smelled more like the guys kinds. I know, I'm weird

No you're not, back in the 80s I always used to wear men's cologne!:D Then I got hooked on Rive Gauche (sp?) and wore that for years. I also always wore my drugstore favorite Tabu. I still do wear it a lot.:D

Halston is another fragarance I used to wear a lot and still to sometimes. You can also get Halston at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I saw a couple of bottles of it the other day at TJ Maxx. I didn't get any cause I still have some.

I wore Rive Gauche for a good while in th '70s Now when I smell it (yes it is still around) and then I found Grey Flannel and wore it for years. Now I wear Laura Mercier (sp) L'Heure Magic. Almost everytime I wear it someone stops me and wants to know what I'm wearing. There is nothing in it that really stands out to me, but it just smells good.

But my favorite, which I've been wearing since it came out in the 70's, is Halston. Now I can only buy it on the internet or at Ross as it is very 'inexpensive.' :-) Anyway, my kids always smelled of it when they were small from my holding them. And when I recently spilled some in my suitcase while on a cruise I realized that I do still love the scent.

Tina,

You brought up one of the most important issues about fragrance, and that is, it's a memory inducer.

The Halston brings you back to when your kids were small.

The memory/scent association is a stong one, both subconsciously, and as in your case, consciously.

On my first trip to Paris with my husband, (15 yrs ago) our hotel provided a highly scented bath gel and soap that we used daily which we both loved. I brought home the remaining contents of the bottle and sparingly used it until it was gone. Every use brought me right back to that lovely trip. On subsequent trips to Paris, I searched for it in every store I could. Since it only had the name of the hotel on the bottle, it took me a couple of years and many trips to find it. I finally found it a few years ago and bought a huge bottle (not expensive, about $25. for 25 oz) of it. Even now, 15 years after that trip, whenever I use it, I'm brought right back to that particular trip, and I go to Paris about 3-4X a year, so it's pretty amazing that I'm immediately transported right back to that little hotel room!

Apparently it is a chypre fragrance - not sure if I will like other perfumes of this type or not. I'm tempted to smell Lovely as it is also this type of scent.

Jane110, do people tend to prefer a certain type of perfume or go all over the board for their signature scents (i.e. change from a woodsy scent to an oriental one)? Just wondering...

Not an easy question to answer.

I like to use wine as an analogy to fragrance...........

Do people like only a certain type of wine? Some yes, some no.

Personally, I'm a red drinker, and only occasionally will drink a white, but my preferences are quite limited. In reds, I'm more open to discovering new and different wines. I prefer "big" wines - those with heavy bold tastes, such a Barolo, Shiraz, Malbec. I dislike Merlots, and Pinot Noir isn't a fave unless it's a very good one.

Like fragrance, people learn about one they like and stick with it for years and don't stray. However, once a person's palette matures, they learn to appreciate other notes, other variety's. It's like food as well. Think of all the things you eat now but wouldn't touch as a kid. Or even think of something you wouldn't eat 10 years ago, but enjoy now. Hopefully, people get more sophisticated as they mature, however, many don't.

I think the biggest mistake many people make is to limit their choices and say they "only wear AAAA at night and BBBBB during the day" etc. It's kind of like saying I only eat one food for dinner, or only drink one wine.

That would be so boring, but there are plenty of people like that. (not my favorite dining partners! :D )

Yes, you're right, people tend to like the same family of fragrance - oriental, chypre, floral, woods - and of course, it also has to work with their personal chemistry. But it's nice to branch out. Of course never buy something you don't like, but keep on sniffing. It's like tasting new foods, as your tastes mature, you'll find you like more things you didn't like before. Also, keep in mind that last year, there were over 800 new fragrances launched, so fragrance producers are always combing elements in new and exciting ways.

A good fragrance store will always have a dish of coffee beans on the counter. Sniff these between sniffs of perfume to clear out your olfactory senses. If you're on a mission to sniff and the store doesn't have them, bring a few with you. Also, you probably shouldn't sniff more than about 5/6 scents in a day. You'll just go on sensory overload.

I often wear Tom Ford Black Orchid. This is a heavy duty "thick/syrup/incense" fragrance which is described as an "oriental chypre". A lot of people don't like it, but yet is incredible on me. I've had people ask me "what are you wearing, I love it" and when I tell them, they'll say, "I hate that fragrance, but on you it's amazing".

However, unlike wine, I don't get as price conscience with fragrance. While I might love a $100. bottle of wine, it's not in my budget to open one up at home for a casual dinner of pasta with my husband. And if we don't finish it within a few days, it gets poured down the drain. :eek: So for everyday, casual drinking, I stick with wines under $15. and I even found a great Malbac that if I buy by the case, goes for $7. a bottle.

However, an expensive bottle of perfume can last me a few years, or longer. My Tom Ford was $135. and though I probably wear it 100 days a year (avg 3X a week in winter - it's one of my signature scents) the bottle still has plenty in it. I bought it 2 years ago, and shortly, I'll stop wearing it until next fall - it's too intense for spring/summer. Within a month, I'll be switching to Guerlain's new "Idylle" which I adore and will be probably be my signature scent for this summer -but again, not my only scent. I'll also be wearing Ineke's "After my own heart", the new Van Cleef "Oriens", and Kilian's "Rose Oud" in the evenings. (as well as others!)

Apologies if I put most of you here to sleep. I guess I get carried away about fragrance.

For those of you still awake, and want to read more, have a look at the following blogs: (none of them are me)

1000 fragrances

Now Smell This

Katy Pukrick Smells

Sniffapalooza (this is a group of fragrance aficionados)

Oh and I'm going to Grasse, France for the first time this summer! Grasse is where the flowers are grown and distilled, for almost all the perfumes in the world. I can't believe I'll be going there and seeing the flowers growing, seeing where the essences are made and talking to the perfumers!! Pinch me!

I love perfume. Some of my fav's right now are Vera Wang Princess and Estee Lauder Sensuous. I like to change up my fragrances often.

From Bath and Body I also have a couple of fav's. I LOVE Orange Ginger and Lemongrass Sage. They both just smell really clean. I'm pretty much a citrus smell nutcase. I love it in candles, perfume, EVERYTHING!

Hi

I have two favourite fragrances, one expensive, one cheap.

My high end fragrance is BE by Kalvin Cline.

My low end is Night Magic by Avon.

I've tried several other but always go back to these.

I'm not a fan of flowery fragrances and find that BE is a metal base as is unisex and suits me very well.

The surprise is Night Magic by Avon, it really suits me almost as well as BE, go figure.

Hope this helps.

Happy by Clinique (spring/summer)

Aromatics by Clinique (fall/winter)

Oh, I almost forgot - Breathless by Victoria's Secret (which,unfortunately, has been discontinued :()

I also wear Heavenly by VS - love layering the body wash, lotion and perfume. Not overpowering (I used to be afraid of that when I layered) :)

Too many to mention! Right now, I am wearing Idylle by Guerlain (lots of compliments on this), Flora by Gucci, Green Tea by Bulgari and Narcisse by Chloe. I savor my Flower by Kenzo and love trying/buying new scents as well as old ones such as L'Air Du Temps by Ricci and Cabochard (so many memories as Jane said!) by Madame Gres.........

Don't wish to put a damper on anything, I loved Opium many, many years ago, then Georgio Red (both would make me really sick now), and I still remember my Mom's Arpege or White Shoulders, however most perfumes now give me an allergic reaction. My eyes water, I'm instantly congested and then start coughing, asthma sets in if I don't get away from the scent. I stopped wearing perfume to work years ago, even before my allergies struck, as I know some people can be severely allergic. My own allergies only really hit about 8 years ago, in my early 40's. Unfortunately if you're wearing a strong scent and in the same room, elevator, hallway or table as me, there's nothing I can do, except leave (not always easy to do). Cigarette smoke gets to me too so I'm really glad that I hear Celebrity is pretty smoke free. And scents are such a personal thing, not everyone loves all scents, and some women, and men, wear far too much, not knowing how strong it smells to others.

Sorry to rain on what seems like such a fun thread, but please, please go easy on the scent when you're in public. A little of good quality stuff behind the ear should be good enough for only your partner to enjoy. Ok - and for my guilty, very occasional, pleasure, a little tiny bit of Clinique Happy Heart perfume where only my husband will enjoy! The Clinique Happy line doesn't seem to get to me like most other perfumes do.

I want to fall in love!!

I have been searching high and low for my "signature" fragrance. Over the years I have spent Way Too Much Money on fragrances that seem great at first, then I just can't stand them after one or two wearings! I would love some new ideas to try. And I get overwhelmed at the fragrance departments of Nordstrom and Macy's - too many choices!!

My current fragrance: Daisy by Mark Jacobs. Like it but don't love it.

x6n2aa.jpg

What is your favorite? And why do you LOVE it?:D

BTW, I recently tried Valentino Rock N Rose and that was pretty nice.

I have body chemistry that changes scents and these NEVER change on me.

Armani Code- sensual, long lasting but light.

Juicy Couture- sweet but light enough for any occasion

Carol's Daughter (Ecstasy) - the name says it all

Vera Wang Princess

Burberry - The original (golden color in oval bottle, with gold top), NOT BRIT. My mom is hooked on this after 5 Chirstmas' ago when I gifted it to her. She won't wear anything else. She's spoiled :)

Too many to mention! Right now, I am wearing Idylle by Guerlain (lots of compliments on this),

I LOVE Idylle. They brought it out last October, which I thought was bad timing since it's such a spring/summer scent. I wore it in Oct and put it away all winter and will wear it again in the next few weeks. I think it will be this summer's signature scent for me.

I would suggest you also try "After my own Heart" by Ineke. Similar notes but put together in different accords. Totally captivating. www.ineke.com

BTW, have you ever read Katy Puckrik's perfume blog? Her videos are such fun!

Beautiful by Estee Lauder has been my signature scent for about thirty years - I can honestly say I have never worn any other scent. My daughters - who live a long way away from me - always tell me they miss me more when they smell someone wearing my scent!! I also use the body wash, talc and body lotion. It's an expensive habit ... but worth it!

Beautiful is definately my signature scent. I have tried a few other fragrances but nothing compares! Sometimes I wear just the lotion. My hubby usually buys me a nice gift set at Christmas.

Strong scents give me a headache. I prefer fragrances that smell clean and "soapy". I love to use Philosophy Inner Grace. I use the body wash, body cream and the spray. It's perfect for everyday as well as for evening.

My second choice would be Philosophy Amazing Grace. I also like their Falling in Love, but it smells a little like cotton candy, lol. I think layering is important as none of the individual items is that strong smelling, so layering gives the fragrance a bit more depth.

• 2 weeks later...

My personal passion is for very heavy blends of white flowers, but my family is allergic to them. It's no fun causing people to sneeze! :(

Interestingly, there are no allergic reactions to essential oils & natural products. Wish I could find an all-natural perfume that blends florals & maybe a little undertone of fruit or berries.... :o (And while I'm dreaming, it would have to be affordable!)

Previously on this thread , I mentioned wanting to try Sisley´s #1 perfume (There are 3 in the the collection:1 , 2 and 3).

I have never , ever loved perfume as much as Sisley´s perfumes. I just bought #1 and it is amazing. I´d have to still say that #3 is my favorite.

I alos purchased Prada´s Amber , and it is lovely . Almost as nice as the Iris.

I am a huge fan of Fresh products (I was crushed when they stopped making their lipsticks-my favorites were Tibetan Poppy and Rendezvous Point...still haven´t found replacements)and am now eager to try their perfumes.

Kim

I LOVE Idylle. They brought it out last October, which I thought was bad timing since it's such a spring/summer scent. I wore it in Oct and put it away all winter and will wear it again in the next few weeks. I think it will be this summer's signature scent for me.

I would suggest you also try "After my own Heart" by Ineke. Similar notes but put together in different accords. Totally captivating. www.ineke.com

BTW, have you ever read Katy Puckrik's perfume blog? Her videos are such fun!

So funny Jane! I think Idylle is more of a heavier scent and I have been wearing it all winter! I just love it period! I will look for the above perfume. No, I haven't read Katy's blog, I will have to go take a peek. Always love buying new scents! Thanks!

So funny Jane! I think Idylle is more of a heavier scent and I have been wearing it all winter! I just love it period! I will look for the above perfume. No, I haven't read Katy's blog, I will have to go take a peek. Always love buying new scents! Thanks!

Maybe because you live in NM which is a warm climate?

Idylle is so not a winter fragrance for me. It is funny.

Definitely check out Ineke's After my own Heart.

Archived