Calling All Sweet-Smelling Ladies! What is Your Signature Fragrance?

TerriSea

I have a few that I love and wear regularly: Chanel #5 Eau Premiere, Chanel Beiges, Shalimar, D & G lighter version of The One, Mark Jacobs, Fragonard's Soleil, Armani Code. Used to really like Euphoria until it broke in my luggage and that's all I could smell for months, not it's like a repellent. Do like DK Cashmere Mist and use that Deodorant.

I searched for years to find 'my favorite'- I finally did!:D

Chanel Chance - but not the perfume. I love the body lotion. It doesn't even resemble the perfume smell! You would think it would - but it is so light where the other isn't and it seems to last all day. I am a hairstylist and there isn't a day that someone doesn't ask me what it is I'm wearing!!! I sometimes ask people if it is very noticeable because quite a few will ask that day. They tell me "no , there is just a very light subtle fragrance" - I like that!!

I have found this with quite a few fragrances- the perfume 's can be overwhelming but the body lotions are more subtle.

My two all time favorites are Chanel No5, for fall/winter and Yves St Laurent's Rive Gauche for spring/summer.

I have a few others that I really like and wear occasionally like Opium, Oscar, Feminine, Coty Wild Musk, YSL and few more, but the Rive Gauche and Chanel No5 I would consider to be my signature fragrances.

I want to fall in love!!

I have been searching high and low for my "signature" fragrance. Over the years I have spent Way Too Much Money on fragrances that seem great at first, then I just can't stand them after one or two wearings! I would love some new ideas to try. And I get overwhelmed at the fragrance departments of Nordstrom and Macy's - too many choices!!

My current fragrance: Daisy by Mark Jacobs. Like it but don't love it.

x6n2aa.jpg

What is your favorite? And why do you LOVE it?:D

BTW, I recently tried Valentino Rock N Rose and that was pretty nice.

I think you need to learn about your preferences and start from there. People just telling you the names of their faves isn't going to help you much.

I would go to the store and do some research and find out what you love.

Perhaps you love oreintals, single flowers, florals, woody scent, chypres, or green scents? You need to know what you like and then start from there.

"Daisy" is what's known as a sparkling floral, and it contains notes of violet, red grapfruit and strawberry as it's opening (top) notes. The midnotes consist of gardenia, jasmine and violet, and the lasting final notes are musk, dry woods and vanilla. Perhaps you can figure out what notes you love, and which you don't love and then look for something with the fragrance notes you love?

Also, you might like perfumes by a particular perfumer?

Daisy by Marc Jacobs was created by Alberto Morillas. Maybe look at some of his other scents?

I've recently begun wearing "Citizen Queen", by Juliette has a Gun perfumes. It's very light, soft and feminine, but not overly sweet. And they have a brand new perfume out called Calamity J, which is more woody. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the indie perfumers, but if you prefer the big brands, you might like Jo Malone who has many interesting scents.

From Chanel I like Coco Madamoiselle, and Allure, but fragrance is very personal. You've got to test and play.

From Guerlain, the new Idylle is soft and lovely and smells like you're walking past a floral shop - peony and violet. I find it addictive and have been wearing it alot.

My favorite violet scent for summer is "After my Own Heart" by Ineke.

If you really have an interest read some of the perfume blogs. You'll learn a lot.

Lastly, about signature fragrances......

Angel by Thierry Mugler used to be my signature fragrance, but then I discovered that I love so many more. Angel is still a fave, but another signature of mine is Tom Ford's Black Orchid, but only in winter. It's waaay too intense for summer. But I could drink that stuff, I love it so. However, it really smells awful on many people, yet is incredible on my body chemistry. That's the joy of fragrance, finding what works with your chemistry.

But I really prefer to have a fragrance wardrobe and wear different fragrances to suit different moods, different outfits and different social situations.

Have fun!

I've worn Chloe exclusively for more than 20 years now. I also like L'interdit and used to wear that before Chloe. The hard part is finding Chloe. I only buy it online now because I can't find it in the stores.

The original Chloe is no longer sold in the US. The new Chloe is nothing like the old one. What you find online is probably old stuff and sitting around for years.

The original Chloe is still sold in France (and maybe in other parts of Europe?) and I buy it for a friend of mine in Paris. Perhaps if you're going there, or know someone who is, they can pick it up for you?

I don't care for the heavy perfumes, so I go for the Bath and Body Works,( Sea Island Cotton).. I use the bath gel, the body lotions and then the spray..I get alot of compliments on the fresh smelling and the prices are reasonable..:D

Yves St. Laurent's Opium -- I've worn it since college and always get compliments on it. Still haven't tired of it, either. I did try Thierry Mugler's Angel for a change and liked it but it's a little too popular for me. I prefer not to have people compliment the perfume ("Oh, I love Angel, too!") but me in the perfume ("Oh, you smell lovely!").

That's interesting. You and I probably have similar tastes and body chemistry's.

I adore Rive Gauche, and Angel.

I wore Rive Gauche for years before I was married and it made my dates swoon. Men always compliment me when I wear Rive Gauche.

I know what you mean about Angel being recognizable and now when I wear it, I usually layer another scent along with it.

Funny thing: When a stranger asks me what perfume I'm wearing, I don't like to tell them. I don't want more people wearing "my" scent, so I often say, "oh I have so many, I forgot which one I put on today". :)

Also, when you shop for perfume, you should stop after just a few because your nose pretty much quits being able to really differentiate after 4-5 scents and you'll end up with something totally different than you thought.

That's why there's a dish of coffee beans on perfume counters. Take a sniff of the coffee beans between different fragrance sniffings to neutralize your "palette".

What I have purchased definitely is not old stock that has been sitting around. I buy from an importer and there has been no difference in quality or scent. Chloe is still sold in the US. I have seen it in several stores locally, but it's more costly than how I buy it now. I have not been able to buy the perfume, however. But, unless I find it online, it won't happen because one trip to Paris was enough for me.

Hi Laurie,

That's interesting that you're able to get in from an online importer. How great! Can you tell me the name? Since I go to Paris so often, I buy myself and friends the french fragrances not sold here. Howver, there are some italian scents that can't be gotten here and I don't go to Italy often, so perhaps they might carry them?

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

Many I have tried, and alas not loved. Chanel #5 and Shalimar are awesome on certain people, but unpleasant on me. I find it so interesting that many women are so loyal to a scent, there must be a reason when there are millions of others.

Based on postings here, I am planning to try: Cashmere Mist, Guerlain Idylle, Viktor and Rolf Flower Bomb and other scents by Givenchy, since I do like Ysatis, Amariage and Organza.

I was wondering if anyone is in love with Philosophy. I see it sold on one of the home shopping network channels. It seems to be a big seller.

Today I am wearing Bulgari. Nice, but not amazing. Ah well, my search continues, and I do appreciate the suggestions!!:)

My favorite in Chanel Coco Madmoiselle. I only wear it on special occassions (a nice dinner, a night at the theater, and a cruise qualify as special occassions) to make it last a little longer. But...I hate to admit it, for my everyday fragrance, I wear WIND SONG!!! I know it is such an old scent and it is soooooo cheap, but I get compliments on how it smells EVERY day! I never tell anyone what it is, but just say, "Thanks!".

I just bought the Monkey Farts. I thought it was a cute name and thought the scents would be perfect for my upcoming Carribean cruise.

I recently just got a sample of Flora by Gucci and it smells awesome. This is going to be my next perfume purchase:)

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

Many I have tried, and alas not loved. Chanel #5 and Shalimar are awesome on certain people, but unpleasant on me. I find it so interesting that many women are so loyal to a scent, there must be a reason when there are millions of others.

Based on postings here, I am planning to try: Cashmere Mist, Guerlain Idylle, Viktor and Rolf Flower Bomb and other scents by Givenchy, since I do like Ysatis, Amariage and Organza.

I was wondering if anyone is in love with Philosophy. I see it sold on one of the home shopping network channels. It seems to be a big seller.

Today I am wearing Bulgari. Nice, but not amazing. Ah well, my search continues, and I do appreciate the suggestions!!:)

I love Philosophy's Amazing Grace. It is the kind of scent that when you wear it, people tell you that you smell good. Even the nurse at my school told me I smelled good, and normally perfumes bother her.

When I met my husband in college I always wore Cachet. They had it in EVERYTHING back then - lotion, powder, sick form, even a DELICIOUS creme perfume that smelled divine on me. I wore that for many many years until the scent CHANGED! Either they just changed the ingredients or my chemistry totally changed. It no longer smelled like it used to, plus it made me sneeze (NEVER did that for years and years!)

So I started searching and I found Tova Signature and IT became MY signature scent. I wore it fifteen years. Then, a few years ago the scent seemed to change. It used to last ALL DAY LONG, and suddenly I could no longer even smell it at all after a few minutes. Strangers USED to come up to me in the grocery store after work and ask what I was wearing - and I had not refreshed it at all during the work day!! Well...that no longer happens. I'm convinced they changed the formula, lots of people agree.... so back to square one...although I still wear it in several forms, but I no longer can smell it on my pillow in the morning like I ALWAYS could in the past...or get the compliments.

Archived