Lots of random questions

leighi123

Ok I have a lot of questions, thought I'd just put them all in one thread so I dont have to chase down answers! We are doing our first cruise in dec., My son will be 2.5

First - my son has food allergies (dairy, oats, citrus, corn syrup, coloring, and a few other things)... and both he and I are vegetarian. With the buffet dining, is this going to be an issue? Im worried about cross-contamination w/meat into non-meat foods, as well as 'hidden' allergy risks, i.e. if they use butter on veggies or something like that. They arent life threatening, thank goodness, but he reacts bad enough that it would ruin the rest of the trip!

I already have to carry his medications for allergies, and special soaps and things, Im hoping I dont have to bring food! Are there snacks for between meals?

Can he go on the surfing thing? - He can swim well, never had floaties of any kind, did infant survival courses, a saw a video with the lady holding hands with the instructor, and he WANTS to do it now.

With the snorkeling - do they have those boogie board w/window things for little kids? I think it would be fun for him to try!

Should I bring his lifejacket for any reason? He is really small (22lbs at 28months), so usually its hard to get one that fits if we were to go on a smaller boat, or something - he doesnt need it for the pool.

Does he need a formal outfit for anything? Do I?

Where do I find info about age limits on things? For excusions mostly - liek hewants to swim with dolphins, do the zip lines (Im pretty sure he is too little for that one!), and do some other things...

Can he go ice skating? Do we need to pack warmer clothes for that or pants?

Are there lots of restrooms around? He has been potty trained sense he was 8months old, but he does pee a lot!

I saw that they have toys the kids can use - do they have books too or do I need to bring any? He loooooves books.

Ok Im sure I'll think of more later...

I can't help with the kid questions -- I don't have kids. But the allergy issues:

If indeed the allergies are severe enough that he could be sick enough to ruin your cruise, you really should talk with the folks in the special needs department of your cruise line. They will make an appointment for you to meet with the head chef, who can go over the menu with you each day, telling you what is in each item. There is a special children's menu, too, so be sure to talk with the chef about items there. And then can prepare special dishes if that becomes necessary. But this will only happen for meals you eat in the main dining room (they'll keep track of you, and make sure, when you come in, to follow your diet restrictions).

Cross-contamination really is possible; not long ago there was someone here recounting how someone in their party because very ill eating cheese puffs...they either were prepared with peanut oil, or somehow came in contact with peanuts. Source was never really determined, but the speculation even went as far as wondering if the person who filled the cheese puffs bowl had filled a peanut bowl earlier, and still had peanut "residue" on his hands...

So you'd need to be really vigilant if you eat anywhere but in the main dining room. Don't hesitate to ask about the preparation -- if the servers don't know, demand to talk to the chef.

Vegetarian dishes are usually quite clearly marked, but you can always ask if there is any meat product in it (like gravies or sauces or something). If the server can't tell you (and that's not likely) you can ask to see the chef.

There is always plenty of food on a cruise ship! The main dining rooms, of course..and a 24 hour buffet, several casual buffets, ice cream bars, other sandwich bars, etc. And boxes of cereals at breakfast, so if your child can eat those, you can grab a couple of extra boxes for him to snack on during the day.

Have a great cruise!

There will be at least one formal night---maybe 2, depending on the length of the cruise. You should have something formal for you....your son is too young to worry about "formalwear"...something clean and nice is fine.

You will need long pants to ice skate....they have skates for you to use.

I believe your son isn't big enough to do the flowrider---there are size restrictions. The water has such force, he could be badly hurt at only 22 lbs!

You need to contact the "special needs" dept. about his allergies....it's only prudent!

Aww he wants to surf soooo bad. Maybe next time!

So would he be ok in a button up shirt and kahakis or something? He has that already! How formal do I need to go? I will have to buy something for sure.

Thanks for all the allergy info, that is good to know. I already have an allergy card we use at restaurants that explains his restrictions, so it should be easy to pass on.

Aww he wants to surf soooo bad. Maybe next time!

So would he be ok in a button up shirt and kahakis or something? He has that already! How formal do I need to go? I will have to buy something for sure.

Thanks for all the allergy info, that is good to know. I already have an allergy card we use at restaurants that explains his restrictions, so it should be easy to pass on.

He'll be fine in a button up shirt and khakis. Do you have something like dark silky-looking pants and a "pretty" blouse? I have one pair of silk pants in a dark navy blue, and a couple of blouses, one white, one ecru, with a bit of lace trim...which I wear whenever there is a "dressy" occasion, on shore or off. You can wear the same outfit, dress it differently with different jewelry or a scarf or something, and no one will notice...or care.

I really think your 2.5 year old is pretty young and small for most of the activities you're interested in, though.

Are there lots of restrooms around? He has been potty trained sense he was 8months old, but he does pee a lot!

None of my kids were even walking at eight months. Maybe they were potty trained, but I didn't know it because they couldn't talk to tell me, and it took them too long to crawl to the bathroom.

None of my kids were even walking at eight months. Maybe they were potty trained, but I didn't know it because they couldn't talk to tell me, and it took them too long to crawl to the bathroom.

He wasnt walking either, and it was right after he started crawling!, he would just sign that he had to potty, and we would take him. Kids in cloth diapers train a lot faster, plus we did EC some, and my kid is super smart!

He'll be fine in a button up shirt and khakis. Do you have something like dark silky-looking pants and a "pretty" blouse? I have one pair of silk pants in a dark navy blue, and a couple of blouses, one white, one ecru, with a bit of lace trim...which I wear whenever there is a "dressy" occasion, on shore or off. You can wear the same outfit, dress it differently with different jewelry or a scarf or something, and no one will notice...or care.

I really think your 2.5 year old is pretty young and small for most of the activities you're interested in, though.

:) I live in florida, and I work from home - the only clothes I have are shorts and tanks tops and a couple non-dessy sundresses!

Pants are required for ice skating. It's unlikely that they'd have skates his size though.

Each shore excursion will have info on age restrictions. They differ by operator. Check out the shore excursion list for your cruise.

You should contact the special needs department for the food allergies. They generally like to know several weeks before you sail. Buffets always present a cross-contamination risk. Even foods that one would not suspect would have a certain ingredient, may indeed have that ingredient. You may want to bring your own snacks just in case.

How do I contact the special needs department? Do they have an email I can send his allergy info to?

All the cruise lines have a special needs department. CAlled different things on different cruise lines, though.

Did you book through a travel agent? He/she should be able to help. Otherwise, look around on the website of the cruise line.

Can he go on the surfing thing?

My 6yo was too short last spring on RC's Independence.

Should I bring his lifejacket for any reason? He is really small (22lbs at 28months), so usually its hard to get one that fits if we were to go on a smaller boat, or something - he doesnt need it for the pool.

Probably not. The tender to port from the ship doesn't use lifejackets, so the only reason would be if you booked an excursion on a small boat.

Where do I find info about age limits on things? For excusions mostly - liek hewants to swim with dolphins, do the zip lines (Im pretty sure he is too little for that one!), and do some other things...

From what I've found, to actually swim with the dolphins you have to be 8; there's a half-wall thing where you're in the water but standing on a ledge that is available for younger kids, but it doesn't look like much fun. I haven't even mentioned it to my dc because it looks like they won't be old enough. The ziplines have a height/weight minimum - it says on the page where you can book the excursion. Maybe the dragon coaster on Labadee? They can ride with a parent, so might not be so picky about size.

Can he go ice skating? Do we need to pack warmer clothes for that or pants?

Skate size would be the biggest concern. They do require long pants, and I brought those stretchy knit gloves - easy to pack and make falls less unpleasant.

On the Independence, there were plenty - pretty much both ends of every deck and some in-between. They were always clean & empty, too.

I saw that they have toys the kids can use - do they have books too or do I need to bring any? He loooooves books.

Freedom does have a library, deck 7 I think. There won't be a ton for kids, but maybe something he doesn't have at home. There are some in the kids' club area too that they might let you borrow.

Resale shops are your friend. You can easily pick up a few appropriate things for yourself and your son. I would not worry about books, toys, etc. We never took 'extras' for my son at that age and he was never bored or missed his things. There is so much to do and it is all such a great experience.

As other folks have said, be very careful about the food and eat in the main dining room. Even if you pick up fruit from the buffet, unless you peel it, wash it again first just to make sure there is no contamination.

Archived