Small ship for teens - which is best?

famcruisefun

Looking for recommendations for a small ship that would be good for a family with DD 16 and DS 13. We may be including active grandparents in their 60's and a 30something aunt as well. We like the idea of small ship to get more up close and personal with Alaska and maybe get the opportunity for more active shore time.

Thanks!

Kelley

Cruise West might fit the bill for you.. although your teens just need to know that there are NO activities specifically for them onboard the smaller ships and that it's definitely "close quarters" in terms of space for them to hang out themselves.. the "upside" is a marvelous up-close experience that will have great naturalists and lots of opportunties to go ashore and navigate waterways that the larger ships don't go to. The Spirit of Endeavour, Spirit of Discovery and Spirit of '98 range from about 80-100 pax maximum. For more information check out their website: http://www.cruisewest.com/alaska/index.aspx

There are a few companies (Lindblad, American Safari, GlaBay) that have smaller ships but I'm not sure but that they wouldn't be "too" confining.. Haven't read much about the American West sternwheeler that does Alaska but that experience would still be more mainstream than you are looking for.

Thanks for the information. Cruise West was the first place we looked - found a video about the line and my daughter who had been rather lukewarm about Alaska was enthralled - she loves the idea of getting up close - not doing the megaship thing. I worry that the activities off ship may be too sedate for them though. If there are active activities during the day they'll be fine with calm evenings aboard ship. They love to travel and travel well - but they are kids - they need some activity every day.

Any insight to Glacier Bay Cruises? That's the other small ship line we're looking at.

Thanks Kelley

Have you looked at some of the very small boats? They range from luxury-oriented to adventure-oriented, and some of the itineraries put them on my "when-I-win-the-lottery" shopping list. For example, http://www.homeshore.com/ , http://www.yachtalaska.com/ (and http://www.explorenorth.com/cruises/cruise-alaska2.html for many more of that type).

Murray

but when we were in Alaska in 2003, on a big ship, with lots of activities, the teens in our group were, well, typical teenagers. There are opportunities for active activities in the big ports, but I am not familiar with the ports that the small ships call on.

The teens were bored, not impressed with the beauty of Alaska and not particualarly interested either. The glacier landing with the dog mushing was to be the highlight of their trip but as often happens, was cancelled due to the weather.

So, you have got to really make sure that your kids will go with the right attitude.

Just my advice, your milage may vary.

we're still debating. I really like the small ship - uncrowded, get to see some real Alaska. Last summer we did a Tauck tour to the Canadian Rockies - helihiking - and all 4 of us loved it. The kids were the only kids in the group - next youngest was one 22 year old girl, then one girl in her late 20's - then my husband and I. The kids did really well despite it not being a "kids" trip.

With the trip to Alaska they would like there to be some other kids - but we don't need the abundance of kids there are on the big ships. We've cruised a lot - RCCL and Celebrity - the kids love to cruise, so I know they'll love the trip even if we do go with a mega ship. Last year when we were on Navigator of the Seas (RCCL) it was just too much for me with what seemed like twogazillion people around all of the time. And the ports were all about putting on a show for the people from the ship - I thought with a small ship we might see - as I said above - some "real" Alaska.

My husband is wondering about Radisson - smaller than the megas but not too small - not sure that's the answer. Anyone with suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks so much!

Kelley

Some of the small ships offer special family cruises, i.e., three or four cruises during the season where the programs are oriented to families with children. I think these include naturalists/tour leaders with experience with younger travelers. Teenagers may like the kayak/zodiac expeditions, which are included in the fare. Lindblad is one such cruise line. Also check out Glacier Bay and Cruise West. Some of these cruises may be booked for 2005.

I didn't suggest Radisson because their ship isn't really considered a "small ship" in the true sense of the word but, yes, that would be a consideration. However you won't find many families onboard that vessel either. I'm not crazy about the port times on the Radisson sailings and they don't go into Glacier Bay (or at least the couple I checked didn't). Cruise West's website is having problems so wasn't able to check on family sailings. Glacier Bay Cruiseline is under relatively new management. IMHO only with teens like yours (we too have done helihiking etc.) if you are set on a small ship I think Cruise West is best =- check the website later and see if they have any family cruises to Alaska on '05.. I know they had several in Costa Rica last summer

Big thanks to everyone for their opinions.

We looked at Lindblad - looks wonderful - unfortunately the family cruises end a week before we can leave.

Cruise West does look good - I think they only have two "family" cruises over the summer in June and/or July. Unfortunately, my DD is planning 5 weeks in a pre-college theater program and she has been planning this for a few years now - we aren't going to be able to go until mid August. When the website is back up and working, I think I will email Cruise West (maybe Lindblad too) and ask them, historically, if they have any younger cruisers at that time of year.

If there is anyone out there who has cruised Alaska on either of these lines in mid August - I'd love to hear from you.

Again - thank you for all of your help.

Kelley

Host Caroline - where did you helihike? I must say that was the most amazing experience of my life - I am a big chicken normally, but when I heard about those trips I forced myself to face my fears and I couldn't be happier that I did.

Archived