Insurance - Cruise line ins. good value?

Is the insurance the cruise line sells a good value? This is my first time booking a cruise 7 months out, and I was going to get insurance from my travel agent.

I've been shopping cabins for a week. I saw a good value room (211 sq feet ocean view) crop up late last night. So I tossed a 24 hour hold on it, and emailed my travel agent that I would have her pick it up. But she said for me to just go ahead and book directly with the cruise line. I trust her and her choice of insurance plans, but am not so sure about the cruiseline insurance.

Suggestions?

By the way, it's Mariner, early June 2010, if it matters.

Thanks....Kathy

I've never bought cruise line insurance because I feel "it is the fox watching the chickens." In other words, they have loop holes when necessary. I always get 3rd party and the two times I have had to collect, I've had no problem.

On the good side, it is cheaper if you are older as 3rd party insurance is based on age/cost of the total package. Cruise insurance is OSFA based on the cost of the cruise only. Many people have had it and collected on it and been happy campers. I'm not sure if it covers pre/post cruise which 3rd party will for no increase in cost most of the time unless it is a very expensive venture involving a lot of time. No matter who you buy your insurance from, be it the cruise line or 3rd party, you will have to pay the bill and then chase reimbursement. Always take a credit card with a high limit on it for such an occasion. On our last cruise, treatment for my ear being flushed from wax was $279 at sick bay. At home, it is $70. My insurance covered all but $50 deductible.

On the minus side, other than the "fox" part, I had a friend whose luggage was lost on a cruise transfer from the ship to the airport homebound. Cruise line said it was the transport's problem--independent contractors. Transport company said they had no proof it was every in their possession so not their problem. She finally got compensated (and not the value since she couldn't produce receipts for everything in the bag) when her daughter, the lawyer, sent a letter to Royal saying she didn't care whose responsibility it was, she wanted to be compensated. Unfortunately, her travel companion whose luggage was also lost passed away before it was settled.

Go to insuremytrip.com and check out the various policies. It is an easy site to navigate and allows you to compare policies side by side. I usually add a day prior to leaving and a day after anticipated return home and found no difference in price. I put in what I think my expenses will be for the cruise including air to port, hotel costs pre/post, and then "inch" it up until the price goes up so I get maximum coverage for no extra cost over what my estimate is. I say "estimate" because I buy the insurance within a couple of weeks of depositing to get pre-existing (which covers not only you but immediate family causing you to cancel or interrupt the cruise) but really don't know what the airfare and hotel costs will be because I probably won't be booking them for awhile. I, also, look at air evacuation coverage because I don't want my compound broken leg or heart attack being treated in some third world country.

Most of the time, it is not that much more to have 3rd party insurance which covers more than cruise insurance. I'm not sharing my age, but I do have Medicare (lol). Which, I will add, covered $68 on my ear and I was on a trans-Atlantic where the nearest land was the Canary Islands. That surprised me as I thought once you left the confines of the USA, Medicare was not an option.

Hope this helps.

Tucker in Texas

I always add the offered Trip Ins. (Berkeley) from RCCL..Have had to file a claim with them once and had a very positive experience quick response and great customer service..I would not consider booking without it...and feel the cost is comparable and gives the basic protection for our cruise that I am looking for..I am not looking for it to take the place of any other Ins. policies I have , but as an addition for the specific purpose that it is intended.....

Doesn't American Express gold card have free travel insurance if you charge with them?

You have to be VERY careful about what credit cards have in the way of coverage. It's best to call them and have them send you a policy. Honestly, there usually is VERY little coverage. Some cc companies offer no coverage to those 64 and up.:eek:

I have a sheet which compares travel coverage of different credit card companies in Canada. I don't think it would relate to the States, though. But I do remember that AMex was particulary bad in comparison to the rest.

So, best to do some research.;)

An important thing to consider other than cost, is whether you have any pre-existing medical conditions. The last time I checked, RCCI's travel insurance does not waive pre-existing conditions. Therefore it might be more adviseable to purchase insurance through another source. Many of the top companies will waive any pre-existing conditions if the insurance is purchased within a specific time period from the cruise booking/deposit date. This waiver period ranges on average ranges from 10 -20 days from booking/deposit date depending on the insurance company.

Here's some links to check out for cost comparisions and pre-existing waiver periods.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

http://www.squaremouth.com/

We always use the RC insurance. Its Berkley Care and we have used it twice. Both times we had excellent service and received every penny we claimed. It was both timely and easy to process.

You can add your insurance on at time of booking but you don't pay for it until final payment....75 days prior to your cruise....you can not add it after final payment. For that you would need a third party insurance carrier.

We always use the RC insurance. Its Berkley Care and we have used it twice. Both times we had excellent service and received every penny we claimed. It was both timely and easy to process.

You can add your insurance on at time of booking but you don't pay for it until final payment....75 days prior to your cruise....you can not add it after final payment. For that you would need a third party insurance carrier.

I believe that certain conditions are covered if you book travel insurance at the same time that your book your cruise. However, I do not remember the specifics. We do add the coverage upon booking but I'm sketchy on the details. It seems like it has something to do with a pre-existing condition that occurs between the time of booking and final payment? If you buy insurance when booking, you are covered? If you wait, you aren't? It is also worth noting that travel insurance isn't just for cancellation. It also covers emergency evacuation back to the states in case of health issues, accidents.

I believe that certain conditions are covered if you book travel insurance at the same time that your book your cruise. However, I do not remember the specifics. We do add the coverage upon booking but I'm sketchy on the details. It seems like it has something to do with a pre-existing condition that occurs between the time of booking and final payment? If you buy insurance when booking, you are covered? If you wait, you aren't? It is also worth noting that travel insurance isn't just for cancellation. It also covers emergency evacuation back to the states in case of health issues, accidents.

Pre existing conditions are tricky. Some times the ins carrier requires ins payment in advance, like 60 days prior to final payment. Not sure about Berlely....thankful we don't have pre existing conditions so we just add it at time of booking so I know its there! :)

Ok, ok, I will ask the dumb question....

Please explain pre existing conditions to me. Does this mean if you have, for instance, heart issues in the past you would not be covered in the event of a heart attack?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking at probably buying insurance in the next two or three days.

Is the insurance the cruise line sells a good value? This is my first time booking a cruise 7 months out, and I was going to get insurance from my travel agent.

I've been shopping cabins for a week. I saw a good value room (211 sq feet ocean view) crop up late last night. So I tossed a 24 hour hold on it, and emailed my travel agent that I would have her pick it up. But she said for me to just go ahead and book directly with the cruise line. I trust her and her choice of insurance plans, but am not so sure about the cruiseline insurance.

Suggestions?

By the way, it's Mariner, early June 2010, if it matters.

I have bought insurance for all my cruises and would do it again even with good health insurance.

Last cruise I didn't feel well as we boarded and by that night was in the ER and visiting the hospital the next day for another IV.

Total cost of insurance $59 and the hospital and ER bill....well more than the cost of the balcony room.

Worth every penny. It was through Travel Guard and easy to file the papers.

Ok, ok, I will ask the dumb question....

Please explain pre existing conditions to me. Does this mean if you have, for instance, heart issues in the past you would not be covered in the event of a heart attack?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking at probably buying insurance in the next two or three days.

The pre-existing that I am referring to is a health problem or injury that occurs between the time of booking and final payment. My friends did not add cruise insurance when they booked and had plan to do so upon final payment. After booking, he had surgery due to a car accident. Was doing fine. Then an infection flared up after final payment. As it turned out, all was well and they were able to go on the cruise. However, whatever policy they purchased at final payment did not cover conditions occurring between booking and final payment because it was not stipulated upon booking or within a certain number of days of booking. I'm not sure I have that exactly correct but I do remember they were upset with themselves for not saying "yes" to the insurance immediately. It does not cost one cent until final payment and better to be safe than sorry. I'll also add that we went on the Grand Med cruise with friends of ours. He's a retired executive of a major insurance company. He did an awfully lot of research into travel insurance as he had previously had a heart attack. At any rate, he couldn't figure out just exactly what was covered and what wasn't either. And, as a previous poster stated, Royal Caribbean's insurance is based on the price of the cruise rather than age. For seniors, it's cheaper.

I always get access america. I get it within 14 days of my booking date because I have a heart condition and the stipulations are that if you change medicines within a certain period of time and have problems with that medicine while on the ship and have to be taken off you will not be covered. The ships insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, I know, I have read their insurance.

My mom got sick on the Granduer of the Seas in 2001 with her heart. Had to be airlifted to Florida from Mexico. Cost us $22,000. Access America paid everything, including the $8,000. airplane ride to Florida, my 2200.00 emergency seperate airplane ride to Florida, the 6,800.00 ship hospital bill, the 3,000.00 Mexico hospital bill and the cost for all the luggage to be sent home.

Although Access America would not insure my mom again, my dh and I have used them ever since and they have really worked out well.

My sister in law used Travelguard and was unable to go on her cruise because of a broken wrist that needed emergency operation and they paid her every cent of her monies.

I would not ever do a cruise without insurance, I have been on too many cruises where people have been taken off or got ill and needed the insurance.

Once cruise a girl in front of us fell over her suit case, broke her leg.

Another cruise, one of our folks was in the ships hospital for sun poisoning, it does happen, he is diabetic and it cost him $4.000.00. He had travel insurance. What people don't realize is your regular insurance doesn't cover ships illnesses or out of the country illnesses. If we didn't have insurance when my mom got ill, we would still be paying on that.

Hope this helps.

Debi

I'm new to cruise insurance. Would we be covered if an immediate family member (who is not traveling with us) has a medical emergency? I always worry that something will happen to my 80 MIL or 86 Mom while my family is traveling.

I'm new to cruise insurance. Would we be covered if an immediate family member (who is not traveling with us) has a medical emergency? I always worry that something will happen to my 80 MIL or 86 Mom while my family is traveling.

Yes, you would, as long as you did not know at the time of insurance purchase, that either one was in imminent danger. But it has to be immediate family - no friends or cousins allowed. ;)

It depends on the insurer, and it is tricky.

What people don't realize is your regular insurance doesn't cover ships illnesses or out of the country illnesses.

Some regular insurance DOES cover you out of the country. Before purchasing trip insurance, make sure you know what your coverage is. We self-insure for shorter trips, and at this point could incur substantial expenses before we are in the loss column. For longer trips we have purchased the ship's insurance because of the "cancel for any reason" option (with RCI it's a 75% credit toward a future cruise). In our experience, the private insurers who offer that coverage end up being more expensive than the ship's insurance.

As for the "fox watching the chickens," RCI does not administer the claims process; they offer coverage through an independent third party. So I don't see a conflict of interest when purchasing through the cruiseline.

It depends on the insurer, and it is tricky.

Truer words were never spoken.

Boy, this is all good information. Now I've got a lot of studying to do. Check out my regular health insurance, and read up on the various policies.

We're healthy people, but you never know what might happen.

I appreciate the specific names of insurance companies to check upon. Much better than a mass-google.

Thanks, all! Kathy

Archived