cemetery beach - safe to leave shoes, etc?

tbmrt

We were thinking of going to Cemetery Beach, but wonder if it would be safe to leave our belongings on beach while we're snorkeling?

(Of course we intend to carry any valuables in our waterproof waistpack)

When we were there a couple weeks ago, we were the only ones there at first, then two other couples eventually showed up. We had all our stuff sitting on the beach under the trees as we snorkeled, never a problem. Should be fine, especially if you have a waist pack with your valuables.

We were there in Oct. There were five other people on the beach, 3 were from another ship. Nobody touched our stuff. We did keep our money and ship cards in a water wallet. Remember to bring a couple of water's with you, as there are no services there. It's a beautiful beach with no crowds.

I have been to Grand Cayman several times but have never heard of cemetery beach, can you tell me where it is

Sorry OP - not trying to jump on your thread but we will be there in January and this sounds interesting

Here are my notes so far....Supposedly a nice beach w/good snorkeling, not much else there though (food, etc)

Barbara

PS Go to ports, Cayman Islands, under CC message boards for more info

The buses are really minivans, which are white and have a green circle on the front. Look for one that has a WB in the circle (for West Bay)---those go to and come from Seven Mile Beach. They cost $2.50 US per person. Tell the driver that you want to go to Cemetery Beach. On the way back, tell them that you want to be let off as close to the cruise ships as possible.

I think I read somewhere on this board that there's a bus terminal starting point in town. We just asked a store worker where to get the bus and she pointed us in the right direction. It's a bit hard to remember and describe here, but wasn't a problem when we were there.

The bus depot is 1 block to the left from the cruise terminal. We exited the cruise terminal, crossed the street and turned left and walked 1 block. You will see it...can't miss it. The fare is $2.50 US pp each ride. (A taxi if $4 pp each way and a taxi will not take you to hell) We told the guy we wanted to visit hell and away we went. He dropped us off and told us to come back out to the edge of road and wait by the palm to catch another bus back. We spent about 25 minutes at hell and waited about 7 minutes for a bus. Look for buses with the WB 1 or WB 2 on them. Told the driver we wanted to go to cemetery beach and away we went. Dropped us off right at the path that leads to the beach. After our visit to the beach, we were headed back up the path from the beach to the road and the bus stop across the street when a bus came by...he honked his horn...and we waved and he stopped and waited on us to get there. He took us back to the bus depot and we walked the 1 block back to the cruise terminal. They honk their horns and if you want to ride, just give them a wave. If you don't want to ride, then don't wave. It was that simple. Keep in mind, that this is the public transportation for Grand Cayman so there might be locals getting on and off while you ride. We only had one ride that anyone else was on the bus with us. This is the only way we will travel now when we visit Grand Cayman. If you have more questions...just

dst - cemetery beach is at the north end of 7 mile beach. It is a good spot for snorkeling and it is a beautiful piece of beach but there are no facilities there at all.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Thanks - we are renting a car and may stop there for a quick swim. Our ultimate goal is to hit Rum Point which is in the opposite direction :)

Depending on how long your ship is in port, you will likely find that a trip to Rum Point via rental car uses up most (if not all) of your available time in port. I doubt you'll have time to hit Cemetary Beach as well...

Just read about these two places for good snorkeling also.

It seems that Sunset House also has a pool w/waterfall. This may suit my hubby who isn't as avid a snorkeler as I am.

So hard to choose!

We loved our day at Cemetery Beach about a month ago. The reefs appear dead but they were still full of fish. The water was calm and clear and we were the only ones at the beach for most of the time. Yes, it was very safe to leave our stuff on shore under a tree while we snorkeled. There are no facilities at the beach but we brought some snacks from the ship (yes, I know you can't do this) and bought some beer from a little store near the tender port. There are no bathrooms at the beach but .....

j

Considering spending the day at Cemetary when we're at Cayman in January. I wondered if there's a place in town between the cruise terminal and taxi area where we could pick up water, snacks for the day?

Am a little torn between Cemetary and Eden rock --- both sound really nice but hubby isn't as much of a snorkeler as I am, so i think he would enjoy the shady beach at Cemetary more --- isn't Eden rock basically on the side of the road in town?

anyone whose been to both - please give suggestions. Thanks!!

Eden Rock is an easy walk from the port. Snorkeling is good at both and you have to swim out to the reef at both of them. The big difference is Eden has a rocky shore line, with a ladder to get in.

100_4135.jpg

When we were there they had picnic tables to sit on. Next door at The Paradise Grill they had lounge chairs. We ate lunch there and used their chairs.

100_4147.jpg

Cemetary Beach is a sandy beach with no chairs, but lot's of shade from the trees.

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2345-1.jpg

Cemetary was my favorite of the two.

We loved our day at Cemetery Beach about a month ago. The reefs appear dead but they were still full of fish. The water was calm and clear and we were the only ones at the beach for most of the time. Yes, it was very safe to leave our stuff on shore under a tree while we snorkeled. There are no facilities at the beach but we brought some snacks from the ship (yes, I know you can't do this) and bought some beer from a little store near the tender port. There are no bathrooms at the beach but .....

j

Just a note on this... there are public washrooms further up the beach. I'd say about a mile and a half maybe? Not really close, so if you have to use them, leave enough time to get there! There's also a Foster's for food/drinks further up along the road. Not sure if they have washrooms you can use, but if so, it would be closer.

We started to see fish as soon as we got in the water but the reef and the larger groups of fish were a ways out. We took some small inflatable rafts that we picked up at the dollar store. We were glad that we had them because the day we were there was a little rough.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Does anyone know about often do the buses pass by Cemetary Beach, (every 15 mins, 30 mins, etc.). We (my family & my buddies family) will be there on December 3, there will be a total of 8 of us, 5 adults and 3 kids all under five years old, I need to know if I'll need to make any special arrangements to get back to the tender stations.

Also, do you think Cemetary Beach would be an OK place to take a 2, 4, & 5 year old.

Thanks

Also, do you think Cemetary Beach would be an OK place to take a 2, 4, & 5 year old.

I wouldn't...primarily due to the lack of facilities, eg. no washrooms. At that age, when you gotta go, you gotta go...there might not be time to walk down the beach to find some...

:(

I wouldn't...primarily due to the lack of facilities, eg. no washrooms. At that age, when you gotta go, you gotta go...there might not be time to walk down the beach to find some...

:(

What would be another place similar to Cemetary beach that would be more kid friendly eg. bathrooms, showers. Were looking to do the beach scene away from crowds, an would like to include a little snorkeling, as well, but if snorkeling is not possible then the beach will be just fine. Finally were not up for the over-priced ship excursions, just a bus or cab fare to get us there, basically a public beach.

Thanks

Royal Palms and Seagrape, both on seven mile beach, have clean facilities and restaurants. There are a couple of fast food places across the street from Royal Palms, too. Taxis are around $4 pp each way, and I don't know how close the buses run by or the closest bus stop to either place. Either would be good for children.

Archived