Is there not any jersey hotels that offer parking and shuttle to manhattan port?

NJCruiser23

I did search, but some info was older. Does anyone know if any of the jersey area hotels would let you park your car during the cruise and have shuttle to manhattan port? Thinking of coming in night before and trying this. Otherwise we will either park at port or get car service to take us in. Thanks for any other current info. :)

I did search, but some info was older. Does anyone know if any of the jersey area hotels would let you park your car during the cruise and have shuttle to manhattan port? Thinking of coming in night before and trying this. Otherwise we will either park at port or get car service to take us in. Thanks for any other current info. :)

The simple answer is no. None of them shuttle you to the Manhattan cruise terminal. The approximate rate from the Newark area to Manhattan is about $60-80 including tolls and tips.

probably the least expensive way is to take the hotels free transport to Newark Liberty Airport. Than the airport bus to NY's Port Authority Bus Terminal(about $17 pp) and ten dollar cab ride to the cruise terminal. The Bus Terminal is run by the Port Authority but the pier isn't.

Days Inn in North Bergen NJ has transportation into NYC for a fee (last February, it was $15.00pp from the hotel to Times Square). This is the old Holiday Inn (it has been there forever). Not a bad hotel, but certainly not a luxury hotel. Whether they will allow you to leave your car there I do not know.

Otherwise, leaving your car in NJ and cruising out of Manhattan will mean using public transport/hotel shuttle/car service to get to the NYC piers as smeyer418 pointed out.

For a 7 day cruise, it is almost as cheap to park at the NYC pier rather than taking a bus and taxi into NYC. And MUCH more convenient.

hi

i live in SJ so i take a bus to port authoirty and it is a quick $10 cab ride to ship pier

i do not know where you live so that does play into it.

maybe you can take a bus or train to port authority and then the cab.

i would not park in ny as i do not drive in the city and the parking rates are $$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

and i do not know hopw safe your car will be

hope this helps

As others have stated there aren't hotels that would offer a shuttle service of their own to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal . . . it is too distant, tolled, and quite frankly not a big destination given all of the guests that they serve.

Your plan would probably work best if you were to scout out an option where there is good transportation between a hotel and the terminal. Some people have reported success with staying at the Sheraton in Weehawken at Lincoln Harbor. There's a weekday ferry from the hotel across the river to Pier 79, a short walk or cheap taxi ride from the terminal (Piers 88, 90, and 92). There's also a number of hotels in Jersey City in the Exchange Place area. From these hotels there are rush hour ferries (from both Newport and Paulus Hook) to Pier 79 as well as full-time PATH trains (from Pavonia / Newport station) to 33rd Street station (short taxi ride to terminal).

Another option that has been discussed is Homewood Suites in Edgwater NJ - they have a shuttle to the ferry or you can take the bus to Port Authority. Of course car service is an additional option. Another person was going to use the long term parking at the Vince Lombardi Service area on the NJ turnpike and take the bus to Port Authority and a cab to the port.

You don't say where you are coming from in NJ or what day of the week you need to do this. IMO the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is easily accessible from either the GW Bridge or the Lincoln Tunnel. If you have NJ bus or train transportation from your town, that would be the least expensive. Train could be particularly good because you can easily get red caps at Penn Station to carry your luggage from the train platform to a local cab.

As I have said on many posts I live along the Palisades overlooking the Hudson River. I see the NY cruise port from my terrace. So I am very familiar with the area. Honewood Suites, Edgewater NJ, great location gorgeous views. You can park there at no charge while you are gone. A cab from there to the Pier runs no more than $40. You can also take the free shuttle to the Port Imperial Ferry and walk to the pier on the NY side. Happy to answer any questions.

As I have said on many posts I live along the Palisades overlooking the Hudson River. I see the NY cruise port from my terrace. So I am very familiar with the area. Honewood Suites, Edgewater NJ, great location gorgeous views. You can park there at no charge while you are gone. A cab from there to the Pier runs no more than $40. You can also take the free shuttle to the Port Imperial Ferry and walk to the pier on the NY side. Happy to answer any questions.

ok which cab companies charge only $40(and does this includes the $8 toll and tip?) My son lives in Edgewater and they all charge MUCH more than that....$60 including toll and tip...

ok which cab companies charge only $40(and does this includes the $8 toll and tip?) My son lives in Edgewater and they all charge MUCH more than that....$60 including toll and tip...

If most cab companies charge $60-80 from Newark to Manhattan how can you tell people that the price from Edgewater to the port is $60?? The Edgewater car services are all a ripoff. The Fort Lee Cab like GW Taxi are much less.

Thanks, just checking out all of our options. Most likely we will just park at the terminal, but DH isn't thrilled about driving into the city if we can help it. Thanks for the quick replies.

Driving from NJ through the Lincoln Tunnel or the GWB is not bad at all to the pier. The pier is on 12th Avenue so it is very little Manhattan driving.

The OP is in Passaic county, so she would have easy access to either the GW Bridge or the Lincoln Tunnel. GW Bridge might be longer, but might be easier driving since the HH Parkway ends at the cruise terminal. Bus or train might be an option as well.

If most cab companies charge $60-80 from Newark to Manhattan how can you tell people that the price from Edgewater to the port is $60?? The Edgewater car services are all a ripoff. The Fort Lee Cab like GW Taxi are much less.

because Edgewater is not Newark! Its a different city much farther from the port. Does the $40 include tolls and tip?

By the way. GW taxi says its meter plus $16.00(which includes the toll) and will be $45-50 plus tip...so edgewater being $60 which is south of the Bridge makes sense....the meter in NJ is higher than it is in NY...

because Edgewater is not Newark! Its a different city much farther from the port. Does the $40 include tolls and tip?

By the way. GW taxi says its meter plus $16.00(which includes the toll) and will be $45-50 plus tip...so edgewater being $60 which is south of the Bridge makes sense....the meter in NJ is higher than it is in NY...

Let's start with simple geography.. The Borough of Edgewater is not much farther away from the NYC Port than Newark it is closer. Edgewater via the GWB is 10 miles form the port. The City of Newark or using the airport as a starting point is 18 miles.

I am so sorry I was off by $5.00 about the taxi in my OP. I just got off the phone with Jason at GW Taxi..it is $45.00 plus tip. That is not $60. I encourage anyone who stays in the area to call him they are very dependable.

Let's start with simple geography.. The Borough of Edgewater is not much farther away from the NYC Port than Newark it is closer. Edgewater via the GWB is 10 miles form the port. The City of Newark or using the airport as a starting point is 18 miles.

I am so sorry I was off by $5.00 about the taxi in my OP. I just got off the phone with Jason at GW Taxi..it is $45.00 plus tip. That is not $60. I encourage anyone who stays in the area to call him they are very dependable.

$45 plus tip is not $40 in total as you said and unless you are a poor tipper it will be closer to $60 anyway than $40. and with all due respect to Jason that is an approximate amount and when the meter starts clicking when you are in the traffic waiting to get on to the pier it will still be closer to $60 still(GW Taxi uses meters its not a fixed fee car service). I never said they weren't dependable its nice you gave people a specific car service to call. It still will cost between $60-80 from the Newark airport area to the pier as I originally said...

The fixed fee set by the two airport commissions that control cabs at EWR used to have a set fee of $45 plus toll and tip from EWR. This fixed fee was only from the airport. It was more from other places in the Newark area(which included the hotel originally mentioned). Its been recently increased by $5.00 plus there are additional surcharges of $5.00 or more depending on time of day and if the cruise terminal is in a higher zone. The tolls are anywhere from $8.00 to $14 depending on whether the cab uses the turnpike or not or goes to the Holland or Lincoln tunnel. Jersey based cabs tend to charge more for the same trip but NY car services have slightly less fees. Finally a New York Cab going to EWR charges meter plus $15.00 plus round trip tolls plus tip- normally about $80....so the amount of $60-80 is based on experience and give a fudge factor for these variables....

$45 plus tip is not $40 in total as you said and unless you are a poor tipper it will be closer to $60 anyway than $40. and with all due respect to Jason that is an approximate amount and when the meter starts clicking when you are in the traffic waiting to get on to the pier it will still be closer to $60 still(GW Taxi uses meters its not a fixed fee car service). I never said they weren't dependable its nice you gave people a specific car service to call. It still will cost between $60-80 from the Newark airport area to the pier as I originally said...

The fixed fee set by the two airport commissions that control cabs at EWR used to have a set fee of $45 plus toll and tip from EWR. This fixed fee was only from the airport. It was more from other places in the Newark area(which included the hotel originally mentioned). Its been recently increased by $5.00 plus there are additional surcharges of $5.00 or more depending on time of day and if the cruise terminal is in a higher zone. The tolls are anywhere from $8.00 to $14 depending on whether the cab uses the turnpike or not or goes to the Holland or Lincoln tunnel. Jersey based cabs tend to charge more for the same trip but NY car services have slightly less fees. Finally a New York Cab going to EWR charges meter plus $15.00 plus round trip tolls plus tip- normally about $80....so the amount of $60-80 is based on experience and give a fudge factor for these variables....

Wow..I was off by $5.00 as I said in the last post. It is $45.00 plus tip no meter if you book as a car service in advance. I have never taken a taxi from Newark to anywhere because it cost the same thing to have a town car waiting for me.... something I am sure you will disagree with. The whole poor tipper comment is complety unwarranted you need to calm down a bit we are all expressing what we believe to be accurate and true as suggestions to other cruisers. No need for hostility.

Unless there is some kind of special circumstances I would never ever recommend someone taking a cab from EWR to NYC. It just isn't worth when you consider how easy it is take a $5 one way train ticket. The NJ transit trains are relatively nice and easily-accessible. Not to mention they take you into the heart of Manhattan. You walk outside there are cabs waiting for passengers and that trip will be significantly cheaper from 33 and 7th than a cab ride from NJ.

The train from Newark airport to NY is $15 - there is a surcharge added for the airport. Also, you have to be able to manage your luggage to get from the luggage claim up to the monorail and then from the monorail onto the train platform. Yes - there are escalators and elevators, but you still have to manage the luggage.

Unless there is some kind of special circumstances I would never ever recommend someone taking a cab from EWR to NYC. It just isn't worth when you consider how easy it is take a $5 one way train ticket. The NJ transit trains are relatively nice and easily-accessible. Not to mention they take you into the heart of Manhattan. You walk outside there are cabs waiting for passengers and that trip will be significantly cheaper from 33 and 7th than a cab ride from NJ.

$5? train ticket- that only gets you to the place the skytrain stops at- which is the amtrak station. Its at least $15 and you have to change at least once- with stairs and no body to help with the luggage. The easiest way from EWR to Manhattan for the least cost is the EWR to Port Authority Olympic trail bus(every 20 minutes I believe). The bus stops right in front of each terminal so you can have a sky cap load the luggage in the bus for $17 pp they take you to port authority bus terminal at 41 street and eighth avenue- close to the cruise terminal(less than a mile). where you can have a red cap take your luggage to a waiting taxi or if you want you can walk its a 15 minute easy and safe walk- which with luggage I don't actually recommend. Actually from EWR I normally recommend taking a limo such as http://www.carmellimo.com/Airports.shtml This says its $43 plus tolls plus tip(again the tolls are anywhere from $8-14) The cost from the airport is reasonable as long as you have two or more in the car. I do recommend many times public mass transportation(cabs are public transportation too) but not with any amount of luggage

Sorry I haven't been back. Forgot I posted here. Anyway, we are coming from Passaic County, Northern NJ. Coming in on Friday of July 4th weekend and coming back on a Saturday. Do the ferries run on the weekend? That's why I wasn't sure about taking the ferry, bc I didn't know if they ran on a Saturday. Thanks for all of the replies, everyone.

Sorry I haven't been back. Forgot I posted here. Anyway, we are coming from Passaic County, Northern NJ. Coming in on Friday of July 4th weekend and coming back on a Saturday. Do the ferries run on the weekend? That's why I wasn't sure about taking the ferry, bc I didn't know if they ran on a Saturday. Thanks for all of the replies, everyone.

Yes the ferry runs on weekends.

Archived