Palm the Maitr'd

mrbill62

Has anyone palm the maitr'd to get the table they want.Going on the Splendor the end of the month and they don't have any time dinning.We would like to get a table for 2.If Maitr'd tells us none are available do you think giving the Maitr'd $20.00 would help us to get a table for 2??? Thanks for any feedback. Mrbill Tracy Ca

And we wonder why our government is corrupt! Ok so that was little harsh, however if the maitr'd is likely to make such an arrangement for 20 dollars, then his job to the rest of passengers is substandard. Unfortunately I think that money corrupts peoples integrity. More often than not those two person tables are requested, and if a 20 hand job bumps out the first to request the table is pure and simply wrong!

Not to say is hasn't happened, but I've yet to read that this has happened. In fact, I have ONLY read that any "offerings" are met with a request to put said money back in their pocket.

I only have requested a change once, where that request was made, and I gave a tip on tip night.

Good grief....what century?????

Here's the deal. All efforts will be made to accommodate each passenger request for dining.

However, if a venue is full, no amount of "palm" is going to make a table suddenly appear. The Maitre'd is not going to move somebody already assigned just so the egotist, self-absorbed, Mr. "Big Shot" can have what he wants.

The best thing to do is go to where the Maitre'd is set up as soon as you board the ship...if arrangements can be made, that's the time. No amount of money is going to make it happen, however.

This is funny because I basically just asked this same question on another thread. It didn't seem like such an unusual question as I know it is done in Vegas.(or at least was done the one and only time I was there...30 years ago.)

So I get that no tip is required to ask for a table for two...but do you do it immediatley upon boarding the ship or at a specific time as someone else indicated on a different thread?

Ok, never mind about when to go. Someone replied on that other thread that it will say on the capers.

This is funny because I basically just asked this same question on another thread. It didn't seem like such an unusual question as I know it is done in Vegas.(or at least was done the one and only time I was there...30 years ago.)

There's a big difference in a land MD trying to jostle an evening seating of diners, vs a weeks worth at sea.

Has anyone palm the maitr'd to get the table they want.Going on the Splendor the end of the month and they don't have any time dinning.We would like to get a table for 2.If Maitr'd tells us none are available do you think giving the Maitr'd $20.00 would help us to get a table for 2??? Thanks for any feedback. Mrbill Tracy Ca

Yes, $ 20.00 DID get me a table by the window... The only time I have requested a change..... As sad as it may be, "Money Talks, Bullsh*t Walks", like it or not ~~!!~~

Take it one step at a time, the main thing is to get changed to anytime dinning. Once you are changed to anytime dinning then you can request a table for two each evening when you show up for the meal. If there is no a table for you, you will be given a call box, and they will page you when one opens up... No need to tip the Maitre'D each evening.

And we wonder why our government is corrupt! Ok so that was little harsh, however if the maitr'd is likely to make such an arrangement for 20 dollars, then his job to the rest of passengers is substandard. Unfortunately I think that money corrupts peoples integrity. More often than not those two person tables are requested, and if a 20 hand job bumps out the first to request the table is pure and simply wrong!

WOW! Hand Jobs? Awesome.Now i know how to get a good table

You do not need to use money - the Maitre D' will re-seat you if he possibly can. That's his job, you do not need to pay him.

Of course if there are no available tables, a $20 (or other sum) is not going to make him boot someone else to make room for you.

I gave the Maitre D' a $20 on a Princess cruise on the first day to get a table for 2 by the window for anytime dinning. It worked. We came to dinner the first night and found we had a wonderful table by the window for the entire cruise. I debated if I needed to give financial incentive, but decided it would be worth it to try and ensure we had a good seats for dinner.

I don't see any difference on a cruise ship or a land based vacation. If 2 people ask for the same thing and one gives a $20 and one doesn't give anyting; who do you think will get the table?

I've been on 5 cruises and haven't been overly impressed with any m'd. The one time I needed help I got it, but the way he made it happen was quite a clusterbomb. Furthermore as he was helping up, he was berating a couple of first time cruisers for being late to dinner. I'm talking a full on scolding. what an a-hole.

So, yeah, if I wanted a great table or a great waiter, I'd tip the guy right up front. No two ways about it. You can call it a bribe, but I'll be sitting where I want to sit.

If 2 people ask for the same thing and one gives a $20 and one doesn't give anyting; who do you think will get the table?

The first one to ask will get the table, money or not. Because the Maitre D' is not clairvoyant to know the next person to ask is going to tip.

Tips are customarily extended at the end of the cruise, although most people will accept a tip at any time.

If 2 people ask for the same thing and one gives a $20 and one doesn't give anyting; who do you think will get the table?

I would think the first guests request. Do you think he's going to hold out for the ones that grease his palms?

Never have been impressed with any maitre'd. The one time we needed to be switched (from early to late dining) he made it seem like the world was coming to a grinding halt so he could find us a late table :confused: Our last cruise the he did come to our table but then again we were seated in the reserved area (one of the folks we were linked with for dinner had the penthouse and there were several couples dining together). Nope - nothing extra from me, before or after.

Wow, so thinking you can "buy" your way to a window seat is ok ? Try open seating and request a seat ,If not no window possible, remember you are on vacation as well as the other people on your ship who may also want a window seat.

You have to do it just like Steve Martin.

2990981.jpg

No amount of money would it take for me to PALM anyone just to sit at a table for two. Upon boarding, simply ask to be seated at a table for two. On the Spirit last year we had late night seating and there were TONS of tables for two available. They even tried to seat us at a table for two and we refused. But each to his own. Keep your money in your pocket. No crew member is more special than the next--except for the captain. I wouldn't pay anyone to treat me more special than you. ;)

Offering a gratuity to the Maitre D' is absolutely reasonable. Policy may be to officially discourage tipping in this manner, and if the Maitre D' declines to accept your gratuity at the time of your request, I believe it would still increase your chance to have your request granted. (Maitre D' knows that you value service and will tip accordingly at the end of the cruise.)

To the commenters about everyone should be treated equally, I am not sure if you appreciate the low pay that cruise lines offer their employees. While I am sure that the restaurant tries to accomodate all requests, there are other intangibles to consider. Individuals perceived as generous tippers may receive more experienced and attentive waiters, better views, and the possibility of special accomodation.

With that said, I do agree that unlike a land based restaurant the Maitre D' may have less flexibility closer to the dining time. I would suggest visiting with the Maitre D' upon boarding the ship when all of the pieces are still in motion.

Wow, so thinking you can "buy" your way to a window seat is ok ? Try open seating and request a seat ,If not no window possible, remember you are on vacation as well as the other people on your ship who may also want a window seat.

Lighten up!

No amount of money would it take for me to PALM anyone just to sit at a table for two. No crew member is more special than the next--except for the captain. I wouldn't pay anyone to treat me more special than you. ;)

you should try it!

WOW! Hand Jobs? Awesome.Now i know how to get a good table

great way to get it free! LMAO

Lighten up!

you should try it!

great way to get it free! LMAO

We did once. We paid the cabin steward $20.00 upon arrival to keep ice in our room. He stuck it in his pocket and we had to get ice ourselves. It was a tip ahead of time asking that he do that for us. Well he didn't do it, so we deducted the $20.00 off his final tip. After that, no money ahead of time for anything. I guess we weren't that special after all. :rolleyes:

Archived