Comparing Summit to Millennium

teacher_md

Hi fellow cruisers!

I loved my Mediterranean cruise on the Celebrity Summit last summer (12 nighter). The Summit is a classy ship with top-notch service. Food is also a step above other cruise lines.

I am researching for a cruise to take on my Spring Break in March. I have found a 10 night cruise on the Millennium that looks really good. The price is a bit high at the moment, but I'm watching it to see if it goes down enough to make it affordable (I like balcony cabins).

So to my question - how does the Millennium compare to the Summit? I know they are sister ships, but how do they differ?

Thanks for all of the helpful tips.

- aj

We returned to San Juan Nov. 6 after a delightful 11-night Southern Caribbean itinerary. While I have not been on the Summit (was on the Infinity in 2003), I can report that the May refurbishment of the Millie was beautifully done. I do not know if the Summit has yet been redone. We were in Concierge Class and enjoyed the updated furnishings and the flat-screen TV. Cabin 8143, if anyone has questions. In spite of the age of the Millennium, she looked brand new, and I especially appreciated all the lovely fresh flowers, both in our stateroom as well as in the public areas and even the ladies' rooms. The Celebrity Theater was comfortable and tastefully decorated, as was the Metropolitan Dining Room.

As for the price, I suggest you watch out for "resident rates" and even internet coupons offered on Celebrity's website. We saved $150 on our price just with that coupon. The cost of the stateroom fluctuated quite a bit in the months prior to our sailing. Any questions, I'll try to help.

We returned to San Juan Nov. 6 after a delightful 11-night Southern Caribbean itinerary. While I have not been on the Summit (was on the Infinity in 2003), I can report that the May refurbishment of the Millie was beautifully done. I do not know if the Summit has yet been redone. We were in Concierge Class and enjoyed the updated furnishings and the flat-screen TV. Cabin 8143, if anyone has questions. In spite of the age of the Millennium, she looked brand new, and I especially appreciated all the lovely fresh flowers, both in our stateroom as well as in the public areas and even the ladies' rooms. The Celebrity Theater was comfortable and tastefully decorated, as was the Metropolitan Dining Room.

As for the price, I suggest you watch out for "resident rates" and even internet coupons offered on Celebrity's website. We saved $150 on our price just with that coupon. The cost of the stateroom fluctuated quite a bit in the months prior to our sailing. Any questions, I'll try to help.

Hi, glad you had such a good cruise:) I just read another review

from the same sailing. They said it was so bad they would not be going

on Celebrity again.

Same cruise, 2 totally different experiences..happens alot.:eek:

Day 2 and Day 10. Both our formal nights were port days, but we departed port at 5pm for the first and at 6pm on the second (St. Croix and Aruba, respectively). Your itinerary may very, however.

Lois, I never understand that. For us, ANY day cruising is a good day, make that a great day :)

How would you rate the food in the main dining room? Very negative reports recently on these boards. Glad you had a good cruise..we're leaving on the 16th on Milly.

We were not at all impressed by our dinners in the MDR. All at our table agreed. Except for the breads and desserts, which were quite good. The salads, appetizers, entrees were pretty to look at but not very tasty overall. Fancy names don't make up for actual taste. To make it worse, service was extremely slow; diners at nearby tables were sometimes finished before we received our entrees. One of our tablemates requested salt-free items, in advance. He was given the next night's menu at the end of our meals, so he could order ahead. Still, he always received his entree much later than the rest of us, and he often ate little of it.

Yet our waiter and his assistant were quite pleasant and anxious to please, but apparently overwhelmed by either the numbers of diners they served or the slowness of food coming from the kitchen.

On a side note, there was no live dinner music, something we really missed from our 2003 Infinity experience. BTW, what's with the playing of a recorded version of the theme from "Titanic" :eek:

Archived