which is better? Cozumel/Belize or Labadee/Ocho Rios?

NCSU

Hi:

I've been on 2 cheap cruises sev. yrs ago. We are looking at going on the Nav. of the Seas in Feb. ....there are 2 cruises that catch my eye...one goes to Cozumel/Belize and the other goes to Labadee/Ochos Rios. I've only been to Ocho Rios and that was only for a few hrs. I enjoy laying on a beach but my husband is the type who can only tolerate it for a couple of hrs and then he's bored, hot, etc. Do you have any recommendations of which one to go on? Also, what is there to do at Cozumel if you don't buy an excursion of some sort? Can you just go lay on the beach somewhere or must you buy an excursion of some sort to enjoy the beach? What is there to do in Ochos Rios (besides drink)? Can you just walk around or again, is it better (and safer) to buy some sort of excursion? Honestly I'm thinking we only want to buy 1 excursion while on our cruise and then the other port, just enjoy whatever "free" stuff there is to offer. So considering all of the above (sorry if I rambled), which one would you do? Tx for the replies.

There are lots of nice beaches in Cozumel and you can just take a taxi, then buy food or drinks at the beach. I would do a paid excursion in Belize because it is not a place where you can just walk around.

Labadee is a relaxing beach day and you do not need to book anything. I would do my paid excursion in Ochos Rios.

Either choice will have its fans and critics.

ps check out the Ports of Call boards for lots of reviews on both private and ship's excursions. There is a ton of information you can look through without ever having to post a new thread.

The best thing in cozumel is snorkeling--- people come from all over to snorkel on their reef; you'll see lots of colorful fish. Either do a ship excursion or one on your own. Belize has popular zip lining and cave tubing-- go on a ship excursion. However, the town isn't worth going to for just walking around. Ocho Rios is another town outside the dock area that I wouldn't want to walk around in. However, we did the tubing down the white river and it was great! We paid $20 on our own to do it; it was double that through the ship. Beautiful, clear cold water, riding in tubes down the river to the end-- a lot of fun. Labadee is a beautiful, private area and the beaches on the ship side are very calm waters and very relaxing. They now have more excursions if you want to private beaches, etc. Just stay away from the market area if you don't want to have high pressure sales. Of all 4 spots, the only one I would go to is Labadee. I avoid western caribbean now as we don't like those other three particularly. We love grand cayman and key west, but don't want those other ports of call. We were really glad when they added Labadee to some of the eastern caribbean itineraries.

I've done both, and it's hard to say which route is better. I love Coz, it's one of my favorite stops b/c of the lovely beaches. But, Belize is a little tricky b/c you really have to do an excruison, and some, such as the cave tubing, include an hour bus ride to ge to the spot. Labadee is a relaxing beach day, but with all the changes (roller coaster) they've made, I don't know if that's still true. In Ocho Rios we went to a Sandals resort for the day and had the time of our lives. Would do it again in a second.

Are there any other POC to consider?

Hi:

I've been on 2 cheap cruises sev. yrs ago. We are looking at going on the Nav. of the Seas in Feb. ....there are 2 cruises that catch my eye...one goes to Cozumel/Belize and the other goes to Labadee/Ochos Rios. I've only been to Ocho Rios and that was only for a few hrs. I enjoy laying on a beach but my husband is the type who can only tolerate it for a couple of hrs and then he's bored, hot, etc. Do you have any recommendations of which one to go on? Also, what is there to do at Cozumel if you don't buy an excursion of some sort? Can you just go lay on the beach somewhere or must you buy an excursion of some sort to enjoy the beach? What is there to do in Ochos Rios (besides drink)? Can you just walk around or again, is it better (and safer) to buy some sort of excursion? Honestly I'm thinking we only want to buy 1 excursion while on our cruise and then the other port, just enjoy whatever "free" stuff there is to offer. So considering all of the above (sorry if I rambled), which one would you do? Tx for the replies.

We did the Navigator of the Seas Cozumel/Belize trip this past February. It was extremely relaxing, but tons of fun!

In Cozumel, we just went to Paradise Beach on our own (taxi ride). There are beach chairs and waiters that bring excellent drinks and food for those that want to relax, and kayaks, jet skis, etc, for those that want a more active day.

In Belize, we went to the Lamanai ruins and Jungle River Safari - a trip that my 12-year-old called "the BEST EXCURSION EVER!" because we rode a speedboat up the river, saw lots of wildlife including alligators, had a nice lunch, and then spent an hour or so climbing on the Mayan ruins and learning a little bit along the way.

Other active Belize options are cave tubing and zip-lining, as others have mentioned. Still other people went snorkeling on the reef.

In general, Belize was a very active port, while Cozumel was more relaxing. I think of Ochos Rios and Labadee as both "beach ports", but have been to neither, so I'm speaking from ignorance.

Either way, you can't go wrong with the Navigator. It was our second Voyager-class ship and there is so much to do on board, or just relax by the pools.

I've been to every place mentioned except for Labadee. That is the one place I would want to go to. The other 3-if I never went back again, would not break my heart. I've been to Coco Cay which is RC private Island and loved it.

Labadee is private also-just your ship there like Coco cay. We could come an go as we pleased. I could lay and get some quality sun while my husband and boys ran wild doing Jet skis and the list goes on.

When I went to Jamaica- it was an AI resort.

Belize-did a 4x4 jeep excursion.

Cozmel-Beach buggies-I will say-on our top ten list for excursion fun.

Both excursions-booked through RC.

Edited to say-

On Coco cay-not all activities are free. Jet skiing was an offered RC excursion on that private Island as are many other activities to choose from.

There are plenty of things to do in Cozumel...like others have said the beaches, snorkeling, shopping, etc.

There is always Dunns River Falls in Jamaica which you can do on your own. There is also cave tubing.

Belize is nice but this would be the town I'd book the excursion. I thought the guides helped us with the culture and history of the area and we were able to get to things we might not do on our own.

Labadee. January will be my first trip there; however, I am far from being a beach person. I am probably similar to your husband....being on a beach just relaxing is not my idea of fun. The roller coaster isn't too appealing to me either so I will most likely go for a bit but spend most of my time on the ship.

See my album in signature. What to do, a few ideas

Dunn's River Falls - Great Falls worth experience at least once. Be mindful that the vendors are extremely aggressive so go back through the entrance to avoid the hassle. Here you can rent jet ski.

Coyaba River Garden and Museum - beautiful botanical garden and fall wall. Its doesn't have the splendor of Dunn's River but fun to climb and not as crowded.

Maragrittavellie- short walk from pier fun tourist trap

Fern Gully - rain forest. Due to hurricane it's has lost some of the canopy but still good to see

Bob Marley birth's place- 9 Miles, where is body is laid to rest. Herb which is a Bud but grows like weed in Jamaica is open here.

Firefly - fire dancing on water and claim to have healing powers

White water rafting and tubing

Shopping: Island Village and Taj Mahal shopping mall but other shops lined the street. Shop for Blue Mountain coffee at a local grocery store minutes from the pier. There is an internet cafe just minutes from the pier beside the Burger King:eek:

Resorts for day pass:

Sunset Jamaica Grande - minutes from the pier with decent food, great pools, water slide, beach trampoline and private beach.

Beaches Boscobel:- Apart of the Sandals family. 20 minutes from pier, very nice but I would stick with the Sunset Jamaica Grand

Couples San Souic or Sandals property - Couples my favorite. They do not market to cruise ship so the place won't be crowded with them on port day.

Hedonism - clothing optional resort

Beach: reggae beach. beautiful and less crowded. There is one my Margarittaville closer to the pier.

Except for a few, I have spent time at the places mentioned. I have don't Hedonsim---yet or the tubing

Archived