Hotwire or Priceline?

DeRon

Ah, not so fast priceline fans!

Some tidbits to keep in mind, and some advice....

1. Check rates on Hotwire.com FIRST

2. Plug in a slightly lower or much lower rate into Priceline.com to see if they can beat it.

3. Check the FINAL priceline bid total before submitting. They take on a whopper of a processing fee with the "taxes and surcharges."

That said, I've personally found Hotwire.com to actually be cheaper by a long run...and I do book hotels quite frequently.

But Priceline irritates me sometimes how you can't rebid unless you change areas. I know the tricks work sometimes (like choosing an area that doesn't have that star), but it seems like I have gotten just as good deals from Hotwire.

I book hotels frequently and in most areas where there are lots of large chain rooms the prices on Priceline are much better. There are some instances where you can get a better price on Hotwire, but not often. You do have to know how to bid though. Timing is everything with Priceline.

Ma Bell,

What is your experience with timing on Priceline. I've read bidding for travel, understand, and have used, free re-bidding, but have never really had an understanding of when the best time is to bid.

I use both Priceline and Hotwire. When I am not happy with the hotels that are coming up in a particular area on Priceline, I use Hotwire. And Garykool is right, sometimes there's not much difference between the two once you tack on Priceline's extra fees, especially if it's only a one night stay. Be sure to check both. If you're using Hotwire, be sure to read the tips at biddingfun.com.

I've used both but end up booking 90% of the time through Priceline. For 5% of the time, I get a better deal on Hotwire and the other 5% I need to stay at a specific location and book directly or can't get what I want through Hotwire or Priceline.

Pay attention to the average retail price displayed on Priceline. This little bit of information can clue you in to availability and pricing. It changes, and if it's not there most likely there is no availability at all for your dates. Check back.

Archived