Buy Princess travel insurance or not?

aprilsp88

Hi,

I wonder is the princess travel insurance better than others? I can only purchase it with the cruise fair.

Should I shop for travel insurance and add it on later?

Thanks,

April

If you're younger the 3rd party policies will be much less expensive (and with better coverages) than the cruiseline. If you're 65+ (or so), the cruiseline insurance (which doesn't factor age) is the better financial deal.

The cruiseline Insurance has pretty low medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and doesn't offer Waiver of PreExisting conditions. Princess insurance DOES include 75% Cancel for Any Reason coverage AND DOES cover free 3rd and 4th Passenger kids with insured adults. If you're eligible for the Platinum upgrade that doubles the coverages and extends Cancel for any Reason, it's not such a bad deal.

IMO CSA Freestyle is one of the better policies. We recently determined from CC posts that several of the popular policies only cover your "Emergency" medical expenses during the cruise fro injury/illness and NOT your continuing expenses once you return home. IMO it's best to purchase at time of booking so as to get the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions offered by several Policies, which CAN smooth your claims process.

ken

ken

I've learned my lesson in purchasing Travel insurance paying way too much. We've spend hundreds on insurance for nothing. I've actually called my personal insurance company and asked if I would be covered in case of an emergency on the cruise ship. Their answer was I would have to pay the fees out of pocket at first but they would reimburse me after my co-pay. Surprisingly they also stated that taking me off the ship via helicopter would even be covered. I'll pocket the money and spend it on excursions and eating at the specialty restaurants.

Just to be safe, I would carefully read the Policy and assure myself that the reps words (which aren't binding) ARE consistent with the Policy.

We found that our Blue Cross Policy actually includes a separate out-of-country Policy (and provider network) better than most Trip Insurance Policies -AND- that our World Master Card includes AD&D (on airline and cruise ship) and adequate trip cancellation and baggage delay/loss coverage.

ken

Hi,

I wonder is the princess travel insurance better than others? I can only purchase it with the cruise fair.

Should I shop for travel insurance and add it on later?

Thanks,

April

Definitely check out your options on InsureMyTrip.com & SquareMouth.com

If you have already exceeded the maximum grace period after initial purchase,then you have already waived your "Cancel For Any Reason"benefit! You'll be able to purchase a greater amount of insurance for less money at one of the websites provided.But you probably already know this!:rolleyes:

If you're younger the 3rd party policies will be much less expensive (and with better coverages) than the cruiseline. If you're 65+ (or so), the cruiseline insurance (which doesn't factor age) is the better financial deal.

The cruiseline Insurance has pretty low medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and doesn't offer Waiver of PreExisting conditions. Princess insurance DOES include 75% Cancel for Any Reason coverage AND DOES cover free 3rd and 4th Passenger kids with insured adults.

IMO CSA Freestyle is one of the better policies. We recently determined from CC posts that several of the popular policies only cover your "Emergency" medical expenses during the cruise fro injury/illness and NOT your continuing expenses once you return home. IMO it's best to purchase at time of booking so as to get the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions offered by several Policies, which CAN smooth your claims process.

ken

ken

I believe Princess Vacation Protection does waive pre existing conditions but I agree it is not the best if you are younger.

You do have to be VERY careful in relying on your regular health insurance. My policy with my employer also covers international medical care BUT it is limited to "Usual and Prevailing" rates. I guarantee that even care on-board the ship far exceeds "Usual and Prevailing", which is probably set to the amount the insurance would pay my doc at home for the same service. If admitted to an overseas hospital, you also have the fun of your insurance company trying to read a bill written in a foreign language while deciding what they do and do not cover.

With specific travel insurance, you don't have to worry about messing around with the particulars of the bill, since it is all covered, period.

In addition, you get the flight delay insurance, baggage loss/delay, medical referral, etc.

For me, I get it primarily for the medical. I have enough resources to absorb the other costs, but not a medical emergency. If I could get a med-only policy, I would.

SirWired

Princess Berkely coverage (and a number of the 3rd party Policies) are UCR, which usually applies to the geographic area in which the service is provided.

Princess Berkely DOES offer a $1000 Hospital Advance, if necessary.

W/ Princess Berkely (and most 3rd party policies) MedEvac is arranged and funded directly thru the Emergency 800 number.

ken

No. They specifically identify the 60 day window in the Policy. ken

The way Princess describes it is:

Q: If I have a heart condition and am on continuing medication, will I be covered under the pre-existing conditions exclusion if my heart condition flares up during my vacation?

A: Yes! Your trip cancellation protection and medical coverage are subject to a pre-existing condition exclusion that applies if an injury, sickness or other condition affecting you, a traveling companion or an immediate family member booked to travel with you first manifests itself or changes within the 60-day period before protection begins. So, if you have no change in your health (even if you are on continuous unchanged medication) in the 60 days prior to purchasing Princess Vacation Protection, pre-existing conditions are not excluded.

What do other insurance companies offer that is different?

The way Princess describes it is:

Q: If I have a heart condition and am on continuing medication, will I be covered under the pre-existing conditions exclusion if my heart condition flares up during my vacation?

A: Yes! Your trip cancellation protection and medical coverage are subject to a pre-existing condition exclusion that applies if an injury, sickness or other condition affecting you, a traveling companion or an immediate family member booked to travel with you first manifests itself or changes within the 60-day period before protection begins. So, if you have no change in your health (even if you are on continuous unchanged medication) in the 60 days prior to purchasing Princess Vacation Protection, pre-existing conditions are not excluded.

What do other insurance companies offer that is different?

Billet - In the (non-binding) FAQ, Some tech writer botched clarifying the Contract's Pre-Existing condition clause and somewhat misleads you.

The clause from the Policy is (it's in CAPS in the Policy):

UNDER SECTION I AND UNDER THE ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSE COVERAGE IN PART B OF SECTION II, NO PAYMENT CAN BE MADE FOR ANY EXPENSES INCURRED AS A RESULT OF INJURY, SICKNESS OR OTHER CONDITION AFFECTING YOU, A TRAVELING COMPANION, OR AN IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER BOOKED TO TRAVEL WITH YOU

FOR WHICH , WITHIN THE 60-DAY PERIOD BEFORE YOUR PROTECTION PLAN PURCHASE,

(A) FIRST MANIFESTED ITSELF OR HAD SYMPTOMS WHICH WOULD PROMPT A REASONABLE PERSON TO SEEK DIAGNOSIS, CARE OR TREATMENT;

(B) REQUIRED TAKING PRESCRIPTION DRUGS OR MEDICINE, UNLESS THE CONDITION FOR WHICH THE PRESCRIBED DRUG OR MEDICINE WAS TAKEN REMAINED CONTROLLED WITHOUT ANY CHANGE IN THE REQUIRED PRESCRIPTION,

© REQUIRED TREATMENT OR TREATMENT WAS RECOMMENDED BY A PHYSICIAN.

This simplifies to,

If in the 60 day ( "look-back-window" ) before you purchased your Trip Protection Policy, a NEW medical condition manifests itself in any way, you're NOT covered for medical benefits under the Policy.

If before the look-back-window you were taking a prescription for a medical condition

(1) if the condition is under control with
no prescription change during the look-back window
, you ARE covered for medical benefits (which is the
only
scenario the FAQ addresses), but

(2) if the condition changes such that
the Prescription is changed during the look-back-window
, then you are
NOT
covered for medical benefits.

This is what's in the Princess Berkely Policy.

Many 3rd Party Policies offer the "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" which basically says it doesn't matter what new medical conditions or prescription changes occur during that Policy's look-back period (generally 60 to 180 days), you ARE covered for associated medical expenses. IMO it's beneficial to get this coverage as it simplifies the claims process in that the Insurance Company isn't searching for pre-existing conditions for which to deny your claim.

Most 3rd Party Policies (except HTH and CSA) require you to purchase the Policy within 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit in order to get this coverage, otherwise they have look-back periods from 60 to 180 days. With HTH and CSA you can purchase the Policy up to Final Payment and get the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions.

ken

You do have to be VERY careful in relying on your regular health insurance. My policy with my employer also covers international medical care BUT it is limited to "Usual and Prevailing" rates. I guarantee that even care on-board the ship far exceeds "Usual and Prevailing", which is probably set to the amount the insurance would pay my doc at home for the same service. If admitted to an overseas hospital, you also have the fun of your insurance company trying to read a bill written in a foreign language while deciding what they do and do not cover.

With specific travel insurance, you don't have to worry about messing around with the particulars of the bill, since it is all covered, period.

In addition, you get the flight delay insurance, baggage loss/delay, medical referral, etc.

For me, I get it primarily for the medical. I have enough resources to absorb the other costs, but not a medical emergency. If I could get a med-only policy, I would.

SirWired

Another factor in relying on your own health insurance is that many Policies have different In-Net-work and Out-of-Network coverages, with the Out-of-Network reimbursement usually not nearly as generous as the In-network; shipboard and out-of-country expenses will be out-of-network and not reimbursed as they are at home.

ken

We always get the Princess insurance because of the automatic upgrades we get. And we're old enough that the premium is attractive.

But could someone explain the "Cancel for Any Reason" clause? My husband and I have different ideas of what that means.

I used the Princess Insurance in July when we were forced to stay overnight in Dallas before our trip and missed our day-before stay in Vancouver. They paid quickly and without any hassle.

We always get the Princess insurance because of the automatic upgrades we get. And we're old enough that the premium is attractive.

But could someone explain the "Cancel for Any Reason" clause? My husband and I have different ideas of what that means.

I used the Princess Insurance in July when we were forced to stay overnight in Dallas before our trip and missed our day-before stay in Vancouver. They paid quickly and without any hassle.

Princess Berkely "Cancel for Any Reason" - if prior to departure you need to cancel for reasons not covered in the policy you will get 75% future cruise CREDIT (100% future cruise credit if you have the upgrade). If you cancel for covered reasons you would get a cash refund, of course.

I believe you can cancel up to 2 days before departure.

Additionally, I believe the Trip Protection premium is refundable if you cancel prior to Final Payment deadline.

If you're mid-60's or above -AND- get the upgrade that doubles many of your coverages and raises your "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage to 100%, the Princess Policy is probably the best overall deal around!!! for what it's worth, your 3rd and 4th cabin passenger (grand)kids would be insured free with insured adults.

If you were to pay the cruise & airfare with a WorldMastercard (or equivalent) you'd get free AD&D coverage for the cruise and airfare!

ken

Princess does not underwrite their insurance believe it is underwritten by Virginia Surety Co.

We generally purchase it every cruise but not always. It will not cover the air if not booked through Princess and unless it is very complicated air we never book air through them.

Just do your homework and know what the limits are especially with the evacuation insurance. Would not want to be "in hospital" at the nearest facility on some of our trips and paying upfront for later reimbursement can also be very problematic. I personally have yearly insurance for medical evacuation (Medjet Assist) and also have cancellation insurance from an independent company (Travel Guard and others).

One of our traveling group had surgery the day before a Med. cruise. She got about $6,000 dollars back for her $300 premium.

I have never used my life insurance, car insurance or fire insurance but I would not want to have to pay what it would cost to replace what those insure. I consider travel insurance part of the cost of trip unless I self-insure (cheap last minute trip or land trip with few pre-paid items).

Sure would like to have yearly travel insurance rather than by the trip.

So why don't you get annual travel insurance cover for everything? I do.

Princess does not underwrite their insurance believe it is underwritten by Virginia Surety Co.

We generally purchase it every cruise but not always. It will not cover the air if not booked through Princess and unless it is very complicated air we never book air through them.

Actually, the Section I Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption and Trip Delay and Cancel for Any Reason are "underwritten" by Princess (except in NY). the Section II coverage is thru Virginia surety Company.

ken

Archived