Fuel surcharge coming back soon? Oil at 80 bucks

hammsz

the surcharges were supposed to be implemented with anything over 70 bucks, not that i want it to come back.

thats not what it says. It says they "can" add them, not that they are supposed to add them. Your wording/interpretation is much stronger.

Carnival announced when oil was higher in June that they were not adding it at this time. Probably wouldnt as has been stated by many as long as the economy is weak. People are smart enough to see the bottom line.

You seem to want them to add it?

the surcharges were supposed to be implemented with anything over 70 bucks, not that i want it to come back.

When oil first start making it's way over $70 there was a statement released by Carnival that due to the economy etc they do not intend to bring the fuel surcharges back at this time however that could change in the future. Unless we have a crystal ball we are going to have to wait for official word from Carnival regarding this. I would not rely on getting "insider" info from a message board. When and if the changes are made believe me you will find a multitude of posts linking the official press release. Until then there is no fuel surcharge.

thats not what it says. It says they "can" add them, not that they are supposed to add them. Your wording/interpretation is much stronger.

Carnival announced when oil was higher in June that they were not adding it at this time. Probably wouldnt as has been stated by many as long as the economy is weak. People are smart enough to see the bottom line.

You seem to want them to add it?

You were posting at the same time I was trying to find the article to link here lol

You were posting at the same time I was trying to find the article to link here lol

I was trying to find the link too. I dont remember it saying "because of the economy", thats just what I think is the reason they wouldnt add it now. It was back in June. I didnt find the link now either.

You are twisting the words a tad bit..... And Carnival announced a while back that due to the economy they are holding off right now....

Basically Carnival has it in their contract now that they have the right to reinstate the fuel supplement if oil exceeds $70.00 per barrel.

Is it going to happen in the future ??? Probably. But no one knows exactly when and it is anyones best guess. Until then, be prepared for it if it happens because there is nothing you can do about it ! :D

I was trying to find the link too. I dont remember it saying "because of the economy", thats just what I think is the reason they wouldnt add it now. It was back in June. I didnt find the link now either.

I couldn't find it either but found this on the Princess page. Since thye have the same parent company they are probably pretty close as far as the fuel implementation is concerned.

At the time we suspended fuel supplements we reserved the right to reinstate them if the price of light sweet crude oil, according to the NYMEX, should increase above $70 per barrel. While we have now exceeded that threshold, in light of the economic crisis and resulting consumer weakness, we presently have no plans to institute a fuel supplement. We will continue to monitor the situation in the markets and review our position as the situation warrants.

Bill

When they did charge the surcharge, how was the reaction? Big outcry? You assume it was a pricing model experiment to charge a fee vs raising the fares.

That's an under statement~! When they implemented it initially they made it effective on all sailings after X date. That included all of us that already booked cruises. The masses went crazy and the attny general in Florida stepped in. Carnival changed the implementation to exclude those that had already booked cruises and added the wording "The company reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests at up to $9 per person per day if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel." to every single page that shows the cruise price. It was their original contention that the fine print in the cruise contract allowed them to increase it at any time.

Many if not all of the other cruise lines followed suit in implementing this fuel surcharge. What started out as a $5pp per day soon went up to various price points with the final result of $9pp per day.

I was happy to see it gone and would rather pay the additional cost upfront then to have additional fees added after booking.

At this time Carnival is heavily discounting cabins to keep the ships FULL . . . throwing on the fuel surcharge wouldn't help that at all, IMHO. Unless oil spikes up significantly AND STAYS THERE for any length of time, I'll think they'll stay away from a surcharge for now.

The minute one cruiseline throws on a surcharge, all of them will, however.

The contract wording on fuel surcharges is simply a protective measure for the cruise lines IF the price of bunker shoots up out of control and stays at an inflated price for too long a time.

All the cruise lines are doing all they can to keep fares as low as they can to keep the cabins full....adding cost is not in their best interest!

If it was a matter of the fuel cost being an added income stream you can bet they would all be boosting the price whenever they could.....and blaming it on the oil companies.

That's an under statement~! When they implemented it initially they made it effective on all sailings after X date. That included all of us that already booked cruises. The masses went crazy and the attny general in Florida stepped in. Carnival changed the implementation to exclude those that had already booked cruises and added the wording "The company reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests at up to $9 per person per day if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel." to every single page that shows the cruise price. It was their original contention that the fine print in the cruise contract allowed them to increase it at any time.

Many if not all of the other cruise lines followed suit in implementing this fuel surcharge. What started out as a $5pp per day soon went up to various price points with the final result of $9pp per day.

I was happy to see it gone and would rather pay the additional cost upfront then to have additional fees added after booking.

There were more pom-pom shakers here on CC cheering on the new surcharge in November 2007 than people correctly pointing out it's improper imposition.

I couldn't find it either but found this on the Princess page. Since thye have the same parent company they are probably pretty close as far as the fuel implementation is concerned.

At the time we suspended fuel supplements we reserved the right to reinstate them if the price of light sweet crude oil, according to the NYMEX, should increase above $70 per barrel. While we have now exceeded that threshold, in light of the economic crisis and resulting consumer weakness, we presently have no plans to institute a fuel supplement. We will continue to monitor the situation in the markets and review our position as the situation warrants.

Bill

Yup, that's it. The fuel supplement is a Corporate policy, not a "Cruise Brand" policy. If it ever gets re-implemented it will affect all Carnival brands at the same time (CLL, Princess, HAL ... ).

There were more pom-pom shakers here on CC cheering on the new surcharge in November 2007 than people correctly pointing out it's improper imposition.

lol I can remember you fighting if anyone said they werent going to fight it, you wanted everyone to join up and fight and write to FL AG... it did finally work. Just because they didnt join your fight didnt mean they were a pom pom shaker ... in their defense.

I got more to lose now than last time, more booked cruises... so Im keeping my fingers crossed they dont add it.

Archived