The Motion of the Ocean

Pebbles1967

It all depends on how sensitive you are to motion as well as the weather. I've actually noticed that high winds make the ride worse than high seas (at least in my opinion).

There are a couple of things you can do. My wife is sensitive to the motion, so we most often book a midship cabin and she's been fine. The couple of times we had aft cabins for the extra large balconies she has experienced some sea sickness, but never midship as the motion is minimized there. Other options include Meclazine, Bonine, non-drowsy (or less-drowsy) Dramamine, etc. They work well, and still others swear by ginger and/or sea-bands.

I wouldn't worry about it too much; just be prepared. They may even offer the medication for free on the ship as well.

Funny you should mention stabilizers - because all of these ships do have them. Ironically though - they aren't used, and you know why? Because using them makes the ship go slower and of more concern, causes the ship to use more fuel. Can you believe that? It's true.

On our Alaska cruise a year ago, we had one terrible night of storms. I didn't lose it (came very close), but daughter did. Next morning there were stacks of barf bags at all the elevators. I asked a crewmember about the stabilizers and she laughed at me saying "oh, we'd never make it to the next port fast enough".

Howard

Just a note, Bonine, Dramamine, patches, etc. (most of the time) only work if you take them before you start feeling sick. Once you're queasy, they are not much help. Ginger ale or ginger cookies sometimes work at this point (but not for me). Anytime I'm a boat (large or small) I take a pill the night before and one every 12 hours until I'm back on dry land. I would rather take the pills than take a chance of feeling yucky and ruining any part of my vacation.

Great tip djpolly. I'd rather take a pill than risk barfing all day. I never used to experience motion sickness until after the birth of my first son. Now even to reverse in the car makes me a bit queasy. Yeah a cruise is a brilliant idea for me, right! :)

Funny you should mention stabilizers - because all of these ships do have them. Ironically though - they aren't used, and you know why? Because using them makes the ship go slower and of more concern, causes the ship to use more fuel. Can you believe that? It's true.

On our Alaska cruise a year ago, we had one terrible night of storms. I didn't lose it (came very close), but daughter did. Next morning there were stacks of barf bags at all the elevators. I asked a crewmember about the stabilizers and she laughed at me saying "oh, we'd never make it to the next port fast enough".

Howard

The Disney ships use the stabilizers all of the time except when entering port. They plan their itineraries assuming the 1/2 knot loss in speed. The ships are capable of 22 knots with stabilizers out. Thay don't travel nearly that fast normally.

Just a note, Bonine, Dramamine, patches, etc. (most of the time) only work if you take them before you start feeling sick. Once you're queasy, they are not much help. Ginger ale or ginger cookies sometimes work at this point (but not for me). Anytime I'm a boat (large or small) I take a pill the night before and one every 12 hours until I'm back on dry land. I would rather take the pills than take a chance of feeling yucky and ruining any part of my vacation.

I've always read this, but I don't agree at least when it comes to me.

I never took the pills until I was on the ship and realised that I felt queasy. My son, too. My DH and DD did not feel ill at all.

My son and I took a Bonine and within some time felt better. We only took one the next day and were fine, too. We didn't need them after that.

On my most recent cruise on the Wonder, the ship was really rockin. I needed them once again for the first two days, but then was fine for the next two days.

Great tip djpolly. I'd rather take a pill than risk barfing all day. I never used to experience motion sickness until after the birth of my first son. Now even to reverse in the car makes me a bit queasy. Yeah a cruise is a brilliant idea for me, right! :)

In your case I would bring some along. I never felt or got motion sickness until the cruise. I get motion sickness on the Wonder, but I've cruised the larger RCI ships and I don't need anything on those. I guess if I went on a RCI ship simliar to the Wonder size, I might get the same response, too.

Our stateroom #6580 is located directly above the starboard stabilizer. It's usually out 99% of the time. ON THE Magic it's 6 life boats back, opposite the large weld that joined the Magic's two separetly built ends. The stabilizers are not to difficult to see. Occasionally at night, I've seen dolphins play directly behind the stabilizers, just feasting on the smaller fish that get caught in the disturbance the stabilers create. We've had this same room # on 6 out of 9 cruises, so my stabilizer observations are directly in opposite of what Howard claims. Disney puts them out, and they work real well up to about 12'-15' for wave heights. After that the ocean begins to win the battle of the motion. Check them out, the middle of the 6th life boat back, on either side. One other thing Mick, on 3, or 4 times, I seen on the report from the bridge screen speeds of 24.5 knts. These speeds were probably current related. Also the bottom painting products have improved dramatically in the last 10 years to improve overall efficiency, and thus top speed. Metrowon

Certainly no complaint with some of the other comments, but perhaps some more information and tips will help.

First of all, short of really, really rough seas that would cause motion sickness in and of themselves (this is pretty extreme), motion sickness or seasickness is caused by a conflict in the brain created when the inner ear is telling the brain that you are moving, but the eye is somewhere (inside) and sees no motion and tells the brain that you are not moving. Therefore, you should be someplace where you can see the motion -- the best place is on deck somewhere in the fresh air (the air helps as well). If you cannot be outside, certainly be next to a window, porthole, etc., where you can see the motion in the horizon (stars at night will work).

Secondly, eat! I know this seems counter-intuitive, and you think that you don't want anything in your stomach, but you are better off eating fairly normally. Don't eat a lot of greasy foods perhaps, and don't overeat, but eat normal meals.

For many people taking ginger (cookies, candies, pills) will help a great deal. Ginger is known to naturally prevent motion sickness. You should take this before you start cruising, and keep taking or eating it.

For most people, they need to take Dramamine, Bonine, etc., before the motion starts, and that is the best time to start taking it. If you are interested in using the scopolamine patch, be sure to get the prescription early and try it on dry land first. Some people have some serious side effects including hallucinations (not something to find out when walking along the edge of the ship!).

Now that this has all sounded scary, it's not. Most people get their sealegs fairly quickly, at worst in a day (two at the very most).

How a ship reacts to the seas (and yes to the wind) depends on the height of the waves, their frequency and a complex calculation related to the length of the ship. Stabilizers or not, given the right set of circumstances, any ship can be experiencing significant motion. Not even the OASIS is immune.

Just noticed your sailing from Dover to Barcelona Pebbles. The Bay of Biscay can be very fickle all year round, fingers crossed she will be kind for your sailing. If you do suffer from motion sickness try wearing the pressure point wristbands, Boots sell them, a lot of folk on our cruise found they worked really well.

Just noticed your sailing from Dover to Barcelona Pebbles. The Bay of Biscay can be very fickle all year round, fingers crossed she will be kind for your sailing. If you do suffer from motion sickness try wearing the pressure point wristbands, Boots sell them, a lot of folk on our cruise found they worked really well.

Thanks Elaine (and others) for your advice and tips. I'll get some seabands and motion sickness tablets before I go. I must say I'm skepitical about pressure point wristbands as when I was pregnant I had HORRIBLE morning sickness for a good 7 months. The midwife recommended seabands and they did nothing for me. I'm hoping seasickness is a different sort of animal :o

We shall see!

Where are you going on your next cruise Elaine?

Pebbles, I hope you don't mind me posting a related question in your thread. :)

Does anyone know how prone toddlers are to motion sickness, and if there is anything they can safely take? Our son will be a few weeks shy of his 2nd birthday, and all this seasickness talk has me wondering how he'll do.

I was going to ask a similar question about young children. Mine will be 6 and 8. I guess everyone reacts differently to different things. I can remember when I was that young I could ride on the spinniest rides, hilliest rollercoasters, etc and never feel any ill effect. It wasn't until I was much much older when I discovered I'm sensitive to motion.

Hopefully all our kids will be fine!

My daughter has been out on our 26' boat in the gulf of mexico since she was a baby (now 6). She has never gotten sick even with the slow swells (that challenge the sight/ear problem mentioned about) that make the hardiest ill. I don't think any other child has been sick on our boat either. But I know a couple of kids who get car sick, as well as, seasick.

The Disney ships use the stabilizers all of the time except when entering port. They plan their itineraries assuming the 1/2 knot loss in speed. The ships are capable of 22 knots with stabilizers out. Thay don't travel nearly that fast normally.

^^^^What Mick said. ^^^^

We had the pleasure of getting a private bridge tour on the Magic in February, and I specifically asked the First Officer about the stabilizers. He told us exactly what Mick reported - - the stabilizers are used about 90% of the time while at sea, and that they have minimal effect on the ship's speed or fuel consumption.

For those not familiar with the stabilizers, they are basically like very large airplane wings under the water that are recessed into the hull sides when not in use. When extended, they minimize the side-to-side rolling action in high seas and high winds.

We've never had an uncomfortable amount of action on any of our cruises on DCL.

Pebbles, I hope you don't mind me posting a related question in your thread. :)

Does anyone know how prone toddlers are to motion sickness, and if there is anything they can safely take? Our son will be a few weeks shy of his 2nd birthday, and all this seasickness talk has me wondering how he'll do.

You might want to head over to the family board as this is discussed a lot, but toddlers don't seem to be prone to motion sickness. I'm guessing that it is, in part, a consequence of being fairly unstable (toddling if you will). As for an older child, I would suspect they'd be more prone to it, so you'd definitely want to check with your pediatrician before heading out. The generic motion sickness pills are fairly cheap, so it would be worth picking them up before you go if your pediatrician recommends it.

Our last trip there was five of us ranging from 2 years old to 70 years old. It never bothered the younger people at all...the middle aged people never got sick but it's definately a weird sensation that takes awhile to get used to, and grandpa did get some motion sickness on the last day.

I think there's some truth that older people are more susceptible, when I was a teenager I went on every amusement ride there was with no problem, now I get dizzy thinking about going on anything that spins around.

I can get seasick in a bathtub, however this doesn't prevent me from cruising.

I do wear the sea bands, but after a few days they're annoying. If you do get them, get two pairs since you'll want to change to dry ones at night.

I also wear a 1/3 of a Scopolamine patch (starting about an hour before I board the plane) and change it every 3rd day of the cruise. With this, I get no unwanted side effects.

Since I inherited this trait I thought it would be only fair to pass it on to my children who have been getting car/air sick since they were babies.

PS I never had morning sickness.

We sailed last January on the Magic -- Western and the trip was rockier than I expected. My husband and I used the patch which worked really well-- you can feel the ship moving, but it doesn't bother you. We had an inside cabin. My son would feel sick every evening towards dinner and then he took Bonine and was fine even though he used it sporadically instead of just before we left. My girls, ages 13 and 4 didn't need anything. The hardest thing for my older daughter was reacting to a dirty bathroom where someone else got sick and did not summon an immediate clean-up. We did a lot of snorkeling and did not have depth perception problems. I must admit that I did feel dizzy when back on dry land but I figure this was a small price to pay for a few days for a great cruise. I didn't realize you could use smaller pieces of the patch so maybe I will try that this coming Feb. when we take the Magic on the Eastern. I think I would have been sick without the patch because it was just a really windy time of the year. Better to ask your doctor for something and then have it. You can find Bonine at any Walmart or CVS. They have free Bonine on the ship at the first aid center. Good luck!

In 3 cruises out of Port Canaveral, the 2 in the winter (late Jan. and late Feb.) had rough seas the first night. Stabilizers or not - if the seas are rough, you WILL feel it. Whether or not you will get sick depends on how sensitive you are to motion.

I'm cruising out of Port Canaveral again in 2 weeks, and I will take Meclizine tablets every day - whether or not I feel sick.

Archived