should we use priceline if flying standby ?

deputybubba

Hi all,

First post, So we are going to FLL in Jan. '10 for our first cruise.

We get to fly free stand-by so we plan a extra day on either side of the cruise incase we don't get on a flight.

So does anyone know how much advance warning you get if I book traditionally at a hotel ? I'm hesitating on priceline because I know I won't get any refund if we don't get on our plan.

Thanks for any advice.

Added - forgot to say we are cruising to eastern crib. from FLL

Current plan try and fly in on Fri. or Sat. start cruise on Sun.

Try and fly out Sun. when crise returns, if not able to get a flight stay overnight somewhere Sun. night.

Thanks again

A person would only use Priceline if they had set plans. Why would you pay for a room that you're not sure you'll use?

Jan. flights to FLA are most often full now because of fewer flights and all the Bowl games. Good luck with the stand by. Wouldn't be when we would use standby unless we were just headed for a land vacation. You have a ship to catch. I'd add more than a day pre cruise...more like 3. If you get there two nights early, you can enjoy FLL. By the way. Rates are pretty high this Jan.in the prime locations. Do you have a lap top to book a room while onboard the plane?

Most hotels will let you cancel a reservation without penalty as long as you call by a specified time (usually 4:00 PM or so on your scheduled day of arrival); hotels in South FLA during prime tourist season may have different policies - check with the hotel before you book. In your situation I would avoid Priceline. Good luck!:)

The cruise leaves on sunday at 5 pm and we are trying to fly on fri. and sat. so I'm hoping it will work out.

Thanks for the info on the hotel cancellations, I wasn't planning on lugging around a laptop for 10 days... so I might just have to carry the phone numbers of the hotel with us.

Thanks again.

So I've check a few hotels and the ones that I can cancel want 3 days notice. So back to my original question, If I can't find a hotel that will allow me to cancel the day of the reservation is there any reason to not use priceline/hotline ?

Thanks again.

So I've check a few hotels and the ones that I can cancel want 3 days notice. So back to my original question, If I can't find a hotel that will allow me to cancel the day of the reservation is there any reason to not use priceline/hotline ?

Thanks again.

I have reservations at Homewood Suites. It says I can cancel up to 6pm on the day of arrival(hotel time) without a penalty. So you might look at that.

It is a waste of money to book a room with Priceline if your plans are not solid.

Don't look at internet or web special pricing which often is non cancellable, or call and ask for special "deals' which would have restrictions.

Unless there is something really happening that night, I haven't seen the 3 days notice before. Are you trying for Bowl game days or a boat show? Check out hotels nearer the airport and then cab it into town.

If you are flying standby, can you fly standby to FLL, MIA or West Palm Beach? I was just thinking about how you could increase your odds of getting in when you wanted. Also, before you leave for the airport, do you have a way to check if the flights are full? Then you could book from home. Also, have you checked hotels in the Miami area as well as Ft. Lauderdale. It seems that the boat show might be that weekend, so maybe that is why they want 3 days notice. Hotels in Miami may be more flexible. Just an idea. Good luck. Out of curiosity, what if you aren't able to make it out on Friday or Saturday on standby? I only ask because my husband flies all the time for buisness and it is rare that he is on a flight that isn't full. But maybe you are with someone from the airline and he/she knows the routes better than us.

Yea we might have to look into flying to MIA I never realized how close they are. We ended up just doing a priceline bid for $99 and got the westin in north F.L. At that price it's still cheaper than booking into the Homewood suites for one night.

We can check on how full flights are, if it gets to bad I can always buy a ticket, we have several chances over both days though.

Hi all,

First post, So we are going to FLL in Jan. '10 for our first cruise.

We get to fly free stand-by so we plan a extra day on either side of the cruise incase we don't get on a flight.

So does anyone know how much advance warning you get if I book traditionally at a hotel ? I'm hesitating on priceline because I know I won't get any refund if we don't get on our plan.

Thanks for any advice.

Added - forgot to say we are cruising to eastern crib. from FLL

Current plan try and fly in on Fri. or Sat. start cruise on Sun.

Try and fly out Sun. when crise returns, if not able to get a flight stay overnight somewhere Sun. night.

Thanks again

No way I'd try and non-rev that weekend to South Florida. I would seriously consider booking a flight traditionally.

My husband's father is a retired Captain with Delta with a hire date of 1965 so we usually get on the plane first.

Flights are so tight that we NEVER non-rev any longer. It just isn't worth the hassle.

Good luck with the flight and hotel and let us know how it goes.

Archived