Should I bother With a TA?

Tarrytown Lad

Some backround: We've cruised all over the place......from Cunard to Crystal to Seabourn to Oceania.

Our question for all of you fine people is -do we need an agent to book a SDYC cruise?

Friends who use agents always claim that their agent gets them goodies, but all of the goodies are already included here, right?

Help us Decide please!

Also, would a ship board credit be of much use on this kind of a cruise....?

Some backround: We've cruised all over the place......from Cunard to Crystal to Seabourn to Oceania.

Our question for all of you fine people is -do we need an agent to book a SDYC cruise?

Friends who use agents always claim that their agent gets them goodies, but all of the goodies are already included here, right?

Help us Decide please!

Also, would a ship board credit be of much use on this kind of a cruise....?

TA or not TA, personal choice. Have done both, so far with good results both ways. As far as shipboard credit, can be used for shore excursions, spa treatments, SeaDream logo products, or the top end wines.

No, you do not really need a TA to book a SD cruise. I booked my last one on board, got the room I wanted etc, then transferred it to my TA. Mine gives me spa credit. It also keeps her happy for when I need something else, and I get a better deal on travel insurance through her.

I use a TA for one reason: I'm lazy. :)

I *love* not having to worry about making reservations or confirming them. I email my TA, he does everything for me. Then, I waltz onto the yacht and the Crew takes over doing everything for me. What's not to like?!? :D

We've never gone the shipboard credit route on SD.

Wow, that was quick-

Thanks all, we love the perspective!

We're the type who enjoy doing things for ourselves, but the Agent that our friends use were offering what would be a VERY generous shipboard credit if we were, say, sailing on Cunard.

Then, we got to thinking that the only way we could use up such a credit was if we got into the Louis XIII cognac, so it seemed like a waste.

BTW, what is the verdict on the SDYC shore excursions? Should we use them or do our own thing ashore?

If you are an experienced cruiser, familiar with the destination, do your own thing. Concierge on SD can set up car rentals, dinner reservations ashore, etc. We had good luck going that route. The one SD-offered shore-ex we did turned out as expected, no issues.

If you are cruising to an area you have never been to before, you may want to lean a little more heavily on the SD-offered shore-ex. Takes a little of the stress off.

A slightly different perspective here. Yes, you can book your cruise yourself through SD. It's very easy. BUT it doesn't cost a penny extra to use a TA and sometimes less. You can get amenities the cruise line won't give you. But most important, if something should go wrong you have someone to fight for you. If you are unhappy with Sea Dream and you booked yourself who do you think Sea Dream will side with? It's unlikely but one never knows when traveling.

I have to agree with Wripro. I use a TA that is one of the top agents for booking luxury cruises. He has not only sailed on all the ships he recommends, but he has a great rapport with the sales departments for the cruise lines. Should a problem arise, as we had with a change due to a last minute charter, he knew exactly how to handle it and made sure we were accomodated with very little effort!

We went the TA route. I knew exactly what I wanted and just had the TA book the trip, but he managed to throw in some ship and spa credit; which was nice because we used the spa a number of times and took a couple of excursions. So yes, you can use the credit even in an all inclusive trip. It's too bad though that SeaDream doesn't participate in the Amex Plat cruise credit like Regent...

CDW

We went the TA route. I knew exactly what I wanted and just had the TA book the trip, but he managed to throw in some ship and spa credit; which was nice because we used the spa a number of times and took a couple of excursions. So yes, you can use the credit even in an all inclusive trip. It's too bad though that SeaDream doesn't participate in the Amex Plat cruise credit like Regent.
I guess we'll do the same thing and use our old reliable TA Dr. Wu.

LOL, although the credit our TA was offering seemed large for an all inclusive situation, I guess that there is always a way to spend money.

Having cruised Regent, we found it wildly over rated and would not sail with them again, regardless of an AMEX Platinum benefit. We intend to limit our future cruising to SeaDream, Seabourn or Oceania -if we can snag an owners or vista suite.

We did get a great heads up from that same TA, however, regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest program (also a Platinum Amex thing). The properties are beyond beyond, and the points never expire!

If you are an experienced cruiser, familiar with the destination, do your own thing. Concierge on SD can set up car rentals, dinner reservations ashore, etc. We had good luck going that route. The one SD-offered shore-ex we did turned out as expected, no issues.

If you are cruising to an area you have never been to before, you may want to lean a little more heavily on the SD-offered shore-ex. Takes a little of the stress off.

I agree with Ragnar.

We used SD-offered shore excursions in the Med. I'm a chicken when it comes to exploring new-to-me locales *on my own*. We were impressed with the SD shore excursions - both the free ones and the fee-based ones.

I guess from my earlier post regarding TAs, you could call me a lazy chicken. :D

I'd be most interested in hearing how SD compares to Oceania in your opinion.
Cammiem-

In our experience, if one knows how to handle ones butler on Oceania, SDYC and Oceania can be a very similar experience. This naturally gives the edge to Oceania, given their much lower per deim.

On the other hand, if your butler is running scared financially , and insists on getting your signature for every blessed thing you ask for as you get it, then SDYC becomes tons more attractive.

We've had the same issues sailing Grill Class on Cunard, and with Crystal, by the way.

Archived