LUGGAGE weight and amount

nicholasis1

are there any restrictions on the weight of your luggage on the ship and the amount of suitcases? NOT that we have that many and we are not flying so I just wondered. thanks for all answers:D

some cruise lines have restrictions but most of the time is something like 200 lbs per person. In reality I have never seen them check(unless they are also flying you somewhere) but its always best to keep individual suitcases around 50 lbs because the crew generally doesn't like have to lift one that weighs a 100 lbs....

I wanted to add that you'll also want to consider the dropping off and picking up of your luggage since you are driving. I'm not familiar with the pier but you can probably drop off and then park your car but what do you do when you disembark. Will you need to move/wheel your luggage back to where your car is parked?

I have never heard of any limits on how much luggage you can bring on board. Since you tag your own luggage they really have no way of knowing till it is aboard and being delivered to your stateroom. It is more of the airlines limits that get people. That being said, on thing to keep in mind is that you have to store all the luggage in the cabin as well, and space can be limited.

The limitations are 200 lb. per person. Unless you are going on a world cruise and have no idea how to pack efficiently, I have a hard time understanding how people could possibly pack that much. Maybe they fill their suitcases with books?

Even when driving to port we try to only take what we are able to manage on our own. Yes there are porters both coming and going, but our experience has been that they are not as helpful as you might think and you may have some humiliating moments trying to wrangle your own luggage at times.

We take one suitcase per person, one carry on shared and my large travel purse...no matter the length of cruise or method of travel. Each case ends up weighing around 35-40 lbs., the carry on around 20-25 lbs.

We used to drop our luggage with the porters then park. When we got off the ship we have had porters take our luggage to our car. HOWEVER, we never park at the pier any more. Where we park is a LOT less then the pier and has a free shuttle. They pick us up when we get off the ship, right outside along the road.

From the Carnival site:

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"h x 24"w x 30"length.

However I do not think that is is enforced. I have seen passangers with several oversized bags that had to be over 50 pounds each. Crazy, there just is just no reason to bring that much stuff on a vacation.

For carry on:

In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

In 2007 the International shipbuilding community revised their estimates for average weight of passengers and luggage on cruise ships. These are critical numbers when designing and operating ships, as stability of a vessel is what keeps it riding upright and not capsizing in rough weather.

As the size of cruise passsengers has grown quite rapidly in recent years, they decided in 2007 to assume that the average passenger on a cruise ship now weighs 75 kilos and his/her luggage weighs 32 kilos.

Thats 165 pounds for the passenger and 70.4 pounds for the luggage.

In my career at sea, I don't remember seeing any adult passengers who weighed 165 pounds or less.

I also do not remember seeing cruise passengers with 70.4 pounds of luggage or less.

How many thousands of tons of passengers and luggage are unaccounted for on today's momdern ships? Makes you wonder why more of them have not had problems.

Archived