Captain Khlebnikov stuck in ice.

Friscorays

From what I understand, this is the final tourist season for the Russian icebreaker and it sounds like they are ending at least one cruise on a particularly exciting note:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33988286/ns/travel-news/

Yes, indeed, very exciting. They are doing helicopter tours and getting some rays, awesome.

We leave in a few days for our turn on the Fram, doubt we will have anything as exciting, but we are certainly looking forward to getting down there.

RC

i am shocked that they are having a problem where they are at, i didn't think ice would be a big issue that far north. but as long as they aren't stuck too long it would just add to the adventure! actually the msn article says they aren't really stuck, just waiting for more favorable weather to help move the ice that they have already broken up. Just another day in the life of an icebreaker i guess!

we have been enjoying the webcam on the Fram for the last several days, they seem to have had good weather, no big patches of ice where they are.

Beverly

I received an email from Quarker Expedition in which is explained that the last season will be by 2012. I am planning a trip on the last journey from Ushuaia to Hobart to celebrate my 50th anniversary. Anybody else planning this trip?

Yes, indeed, very exciting. They are doing helicopter tours and getting some rays, awesome.

We leave in a few days for our turn on the Fram, doubt we will have anything as exciting, but we are certainly looking forward to getting down there.

RC

Bon Voyage for your trip on the Fram.

Archived