Ruby princess

CRLAUMAN

I have been on Carnival and am thinking about booking a Princess (Ruby)cruise. Is there a big difference. I did like the Carnival relaxed atmosphere and I loved my balcony cabin(Carnival Victory)

Are the Princess Cruises stuffy and not as relaxed?

We are carnival junkies- the price allows us to cruise more often.

We so much wanted to try Princess but was kinda leary because we kept hearing that Princess is full of old people and nothing to do at night.

I am so glad we tried our first Princess cruise on the Caribbean so I can form my own opinion.

Our Princess cruise wow'ed us from the moment we stepped to the pier.

It is soooo complelty different from carnival. The ships themselves are beatiful.

And the first night they had this awesome seafood buffet that we skipped dinner in the dining room.

I like that the times for the shows that I can pick which one to go to and there were no conflictions like we have on carnival where we have to pick and chose what we want to do best.

I came home and booked us on the Crown- again we mighty impressed and not once did we eat in the dining room this week. It was more relaxing to eat at the buffet. (again nothing at all like carnival buffet- these tables are set with table cloths, and silverware is set out- not wrapped in a gaudy napkin) there are waiters walking around to get your drinks- (the soda card on princess is affordable for us. 35.00 for a 7 day cruise- was able to use it in the show lounge, out by the pool, at the buffet. and we dont have to haunt down a drink station to get something to drink.

On the Crown we experienced the specialty places- for what we paid for a supper club on carnival we were able to try two places on the Crown- the lobster on the crown was sooo much better then the carnival; (in the specialty place)

On the formal night there was a champagne waterfalls-- wow- ok we saw it once and didnt need to see it again.

Princess is all that plus some- Now we are also booked on the Ruby for February 2011

I suggest you take your first Princess cruise and form your own opinion.

Best balcony- C753 huge and private (catBB) (doesnt have a sofa but the balcony sure makes up for it

or mini AD E731

doing a google search will show you both balconies.-

I have been on Carnival and am thinking about booking a Princess (Ruby)cruise. Is there a big difference. I did like the Carnival relaxed atmosphere and I loved my balcony cabin(Carnival Victory)

Are the Princess Cruises stuffy and not as relaxed?

The Victory is an older ship and not even as nice as the newer Carnival ships. I have been on the Ruby's sister ship (Crown Princess) and will be on the Ruby next summer.

First, balcony cabins are bigger on Carnival.

As for everything else, the Ruby will blow away Carnival. The ship is much nicer. There are more entertainment venues. There are two specialty restaurants (I don't think the Victory has any) and there are the beautiful Princess freshwater pools. Princess is not stuffy. It is much more relaxed than Carnival. Carnival ships are pretty congested and Princess ships are roomier and the atmosphere is less hectic. I found people on Princess to be more friendly. One last thing, chair hogging is notorious on Carnival and really not much of a problem on that class of Princess ship.

I had the AD mini that Serene mentioned below and it was worth every penny but probably much more expensive than a regular balcony on the Victory. I also agree with Serene on the differences in buffets on two lines. Breakfast at Princess buffets is actually pretty good and I could not deal with Carnival's limited breakfast buffets.

If you don't mind paying a little more, I think you will find the Ruby to be a big step from Carnival.

The Ruby is a beautiful ship. If a balcony is in your budget, the Caribe Deck offers a 9' x 5' half covered/half uncovered balcony.

Also, another great spot are the 4 aft balcony cabins on the Riveria Deck. The Ruby is the first Princess ship to have those as balcony vs port hole/ocean view. These cabins are steps away from the Terrace Pool (adults only), Outriggers Bar as well as Cafe Caribe.

There are also places like the International Cafe that you can have delicious pastries and luncheon items like chicken salad, shrimp salad, and small sandwiches.

I hope you enjoy the Ruby as much as I did.

I like both lines and have sailed both ships you mention. Yes, Victory is older (my very first cruise though!) and I prefer Carnival's newer or at least newly-refubished ships. Just sailed the Dream for 2 nights!

Princess is more elegant--more wood and marble than chrome and colors. You will find crowds and chair hogs (especially by the aft pool on Princess) and the theater is movie-theater style seating--not with the cocktail table like Carnival. And yes Carnival's balcony cabin is a bit larger than Princess. Princess does not have an amenities basket so pack your toothpaste! Princess has the best pizza at sea; whenever the guys went "missing" we could find them at the pizza place. Also no free ice cream machines like Carnival (though with limited hours (1?) Princess did have ice cream in the buffet area).

Still, I like variety and will continue to sail both lines!

Also no free ice cream machines like Carnival (though with limited hours (1?) Princess did have ice cream in the buffet area).

This has changed this past year. Where Scoops was, there is now free soft ice cream all day long. It was thick, smooth and creamy. Not like the gritty ice milk:)

This has changed this past year. Where Scoops was, there is now free soft ice cream all day long. It was thick, smooth and creamy. Not like the gritty ice milk:)

Good to know! Glad to hear it. So I'll be eating pizza and ice cream every day. Do they do the 3:30 ice cream bar in the horizon or whatever still?

Looks like I'm getting off Island Princess in FLL the day you're getting on!

Good to know! Glad to hear it. So I'll be eating pizza and ice cream every day. Do they do the 3:30 ice cream bar in the horizon or whatever still?

Looks like I'm getting off Island Princess in FLL the day you're getting on!

Lori, seems they discontinued the afternoon ice cream in the Horizon, but still serve the home made stuff in the dining rooms. Well, hopefully when you disembark the Island, you will have saved some booze for us;)

Archived