LIVE from the Caribbean Princess

chrisahx

Hello Everyone,

We are now into day 3 of this 7 night cruise and I can post some things that seem to be updated. The "Presto" dry-cleaning/laundry service is NOW same day service. You hand your clothes in by 9am and they arrive back on the same afternoon. And the regular service is all next day delivery by 1pm. This seems to have changed from what I had read recently on a thread about the "Free" service for Elite members and full suite guests. I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that the Wi-Fi service all over the ship is also a free amenity for full suite guests. I had concerns it was going to be only for use in the internet cafe, but it isn't. Its working out by the adult pool right now as I type this, hopefully I'll get a connection in the cabin too, I don't know for sure since today is my first day using the net.

Formal night was last night, and dressing up seems to have fallen by the wayside. I saw a few guys in Jeans on formal night in the Jade (I'm not sure thats the name of the dining room or not) during the Late 8:15pm 2nd seating. Also on the 1st night at dinner in the main dinning room, a guy at our table of 8 had on shorts and a pair of flip flops. His girlfriend, who was quite beautiful was dressed very nicely in a lovely dress which could have even been appropriate for formal night.

Monday in St. Thomas, most if not all of the morning tours were cancelled due to the weather. When breakfast was delivered at 7:30am, it still looked dark out the window and was so foggy you couldn't see land. It rained all morning and for the afternoon it was heavy overcast. Today however in Tortoga its been blue skys and sunny all day long so far.

Wow - shorts and flip flops? Perhaps the guy at dinner didn't get his suitcase in time to dress properly? That's usually the only way they'll let you into the dining room dressed like that for dinner.

Sorry the weather wasn't the best in St. Thomas, but so glad it cleared up for you in Tortola. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip! Enjoy! :)

thanks for your live posts! keep 'em coming! will be on the CB for the southern explorer itinerary Christmas week. Have you sampled the International Cafe or Vines yet? I'm anxious to try the gelato!! sorry your weather was damp in St. Thomas, but i'm sure there's better weather ahead for you! thanks again for posting live!

If you wouldn't mind checking something for me. We booked A750 Grand Suite for Oct 23. On the Princess site it showed it Aft (Port? Left) side on Aloha deck. Princess just sent us a brochure and it shows the deck plan as the Grand Suite (A750) being broken into two suites (A752 & A750) - with A750 in the middle. We are splurging for our anniversary and I would sure hate to arrive and find that we had half the space promised :(

Thank you so much and have a wonderful time.

We were on CB for the Nov. 1st cruise and did not get any of our 4 bags delivered to our room until after 10 pm that night. We also had to go to dinner the 1st night in our very casual attire. I can see where she may have gotten her luggage but he did not.

Hello Everyone

Last night I did the "Chef's Table". It was a very enjoyable evening albeit almost being ruined by some nut job. Everything started out beautifully. They opened up bottles of champagne and then we all put on these white lab coats (If anyone wants to know the specifics on the meal itself, there is an in-debth article here on cruise critic where the reviewer talks about the specific food they serve and as far as I can tell, the menu they currently serve at "chefs table" is the same as it was when the review was written).

After we get on the lab coats, they start bringing us one tasty appetizer after another. There were around 10 of us, but I was the only single person, the rest of the group was made up of couples. It just so happened that a couple from our roll call group was also present and the same couple had also sat behind me on the flight to San Juan from Atlanta as well, and I thought they were friends of mine. Little did I know how wrong that thought really was. While we were being served the appetizers, I was telling the wife of the couple, who also happened to be a travel agent, how I had been using magic jack to make phone calls for free, since the wi-fi in the rooms was also free for suite guests. Just as I finish telling this woman that if she needed to make a call home to check on her 90 plus year old mother her brother was looking after, her husband told me to "shut up so he could hear the description of the appetizer being served" I was in complete shock! Here I was offering to save them $8.95 a minute and this man is blasting me for nothing? (I certainly wasn't talking loudly to where what I was saying interrupted the presentation. In fact, after he made an A** out of himself, it was him everyone was looking at, not me). I wish I could say it ended there, but it only got worse. As the waiters and Maitre d are taking us to a long table where they are going to seat us, the waiter asks me to sit on one of the sides. I mentioned to the waiter that since I was alone, that it might be best for me to sit on the end, and he agreed. Out of the blue, this jerk starts saying, "stop arguing with the guy and just sit where he asks you to sit" I hadn't been arguing at all with the waiter and neither myself or the waiter were upset or bothered by anything. It was actually none of this idiots business anyway since it didn't even affect him. I don't say anything back to him and try to just move on. At the chef's table, they continue bringing us wonderful food and end with desert which is served on a domed platter made of edible sugar. After desert, one woman is saying how she would like a cigarette. I used to smoke and now have these electronic cigarettes where you inhale nicotine vapor. I show this to the woman, and well, you guessed it, the old coot starts in again. He says, don't use that, the people at the next table will think you are smoking. I told him its water vapor and doesn't smell and that I've been using it since the first day and no one has ever complained or said anything (I hadn't used it that night because there had been no break in between dishes being served).

I DO NOT understand what this mans problem was with me. I could not have been nicer to him or his wife, yet he seemed dead set on trying his best to humiliate me in front of the group. It seemed to backfire on him though and he ended up being who everyone starred at. I just don't understand why his wife didn't do something. The funny thing is, during all his ranting, she keeps on talking to me as if he hadn't said a word. This is one weirdo couple. Finally they decide to leave before everyone else (thank God) but not before thouroughly putting a damper on what would have been the highlight of the cruise. After they leave, the other chef's table members tell me how well I handled it all and that I showed a lot of restraint. Granted I'm a lot younger than this couple, but that doesn't give him the right to treat me the way he did. When I told this all to my parents, my mother said maybe the old man was jealous that his wife was giving me all his attention. Maybe that was it, but you have to understand that they are old enough to be my grand parents. I haven't run into them today, but I'm not sure what, if anything, I'll say if I do. ANY ADVISE? I SURE COULD USE SOME!!!

He certainly sounds very insecure!! I would guess that he is worried about his wife liking you better than him and with the way he was behaving, who couldn't? I also had a friend that had a woman ruin her Chef's Table experience, so you aren't alone in that at least. Sorry he made such an idiot of himself. Glad you took the high road.

If you see him on board, I would just ignore him. He doesn't deserve your notice.

[quote name=chrisahx;22087631

I was telling the wife of the couple' date=' who also happened to be a travel agent, how I had been using magic jack to make phone calls for free, since the wi-fi in the rooms was also free for suite guests. Although you thought this was a nice gesture, this benefit is for suite guests, not their friends elsewhere on the ship. Abuse of benefits such as this can lead to them being discontinued or eliminated. This happened with totally free internet for platinum/elite members when they let friends use their free time.

The funny thing is, during all his ranting, she keeps on talking to me as if he hadn't said a word. This is one weirdo couple. She has to live with him after the cruise, so she deserves some sympathy.

See above.

Glad that this did not ruin the experience for you.

Archived