Lock Closures: Help Please, Steamboats

HDS

Steamboats,

Would you please check if there have been any changes or more details re the lock closure dates for 2010, April 9-27 and post again on this board.

I'm asking for a friend who wants to cruise from Trier to Rousse in Spring 2010.

There may be other cruisers new to this board who are interested in an update.

Thank you again for your help to river cruisers.

Deb.

We are taking AMA Amadagio from Rousse to Budapest on April 19 - April 26. Will the lock closures affect us? Now that we have already booked our air, it is what it is, but it would probably be good to be prepared in advance. What happens when the locks are closed?

Also, any ideas as to how to get from Bucharest to Rousse other than the ship's transfer?

Steamboats,

Would you please check if there have been any changes or more details re the lock closure dates for 2010, April 9-27 and post again on this board.

I'm asking for a friend who wants to cruise from Trier to Rousse in Spring 2010.

There may be other cruisers new to this board who are interested in an update.

Thank you again for your help to river cruisers.

Deb.

As Steamboats seams to be away, I'll try and help.

The lastes information is, over the period 9 - 27 April 2010 the locks will closed for maintenance as follows:

River Danube (upstream from Passau) 12 - 24 April 2010

Main Donau Canal 9 - 27 April 2010

River Main 10 - 26 APril 2010

Down stream from Passau to Linz, Vienna, Budepest, Rousse there should be no problem.

With regards to Trier to Rousse, tell your friend to check the dates very carefully (the above dates are fixed - German efficency), so as not to cut it to fine allow a couple of days for contingencies (i.e. aderse weather, mechanical problem). Aim to be in Passau by 10 April, then it all plain sailing.

Here is a link (in German) that gives the closure dates for each set of locks:

http://www.elwis.de/NfB/Schleusensperrungen/wsd-sued/index.html

Translated:

http://translate.google.de/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elwis.de%2FNfB%2FSchleusensperrungen%2Fwsd-sued%2Findex.html&sl=de&tl=en

Ron

We are taking AMA Amadagio from Rousse to Budapest on April 19 - April 26. Will the lock closures affect us? Now that we have already booked our air, it is what it is, but it would probably be good to be prepared in advance. What happens when the locks are closed?

Also, any ideas as to how to get from Bucharest to Rousse other than the ship's transfer?

The lock closures only cover those in Germany.

You will be OK on your cruise.

Just Google "how to get from Bucharest to Rousse " and you will get a lot of possibilties.

Ron

HDS,

Sorry for not answering in time. But I´ve been on a "slightly" bigger ship from Nov 19th til Nov 24th going by the name of "Oasis of the Seas" as Reporter At Sea for Germany :D.

Ron,

Thanks for jumping in with the answers!

steamboats

Having never been on a river cruise I've done a considerable amount of online research. I've observed, especially on the Amsterdam to Budapest route, that many trips are scheduled leaving both Budapest and Amsterdam on Apr 25, 2010. Also, I took note that there are no trips on that route the two weeks prior. This led to my discovery of lock closures. I think the average traveler can assume that cruise companies will not schedule trips when the locks are closed. I sense having to arrange for busses, hotels, food, etc. cuts considerably into their profit margin, maybe even going into the red since they probably still have to pay some fixed expenses, like the crew. Bottomline - I think unless an extraordinary situation occurs, lock closures are something you should not be concerned with. Steamboats, did you get to personally meet all 6,000 passengers onboard Oasis? lol

cohengm,

Obviously you did your homework! But there were cruise lines (especially Scenic) who did schedule cruises which interfered with the lock closures. More experienced cruise lines do know how to plan their schedules :D.

Actually I´ve been on three pre inaugurals and the ship hasn´t been "sold out" on these cruises. But there were more and more pax on each cruise.

steamboats

• 3 weeks later...

Musicgirlcruiser,

I can´t say for sure but according to your itinerary I´d say the end of your cruise might be affected. The locks at Regenburg are closing April 12th and that´s the day when you´re supposed to be there. I think your itinerary is showing another day cruising to Nuremberg arriving there on the 13th. But that might not be possible as the locks on the canal are mainly closing by the 9th. So you might face a busride from Regensburg to Nuremberg and stay in a hotel there or directly go to Prague. But that´s something only Avalon can give you an answer to.

steamboats

• Having already paid deposit for the April 15th cruise on Avalon Poetry I was disturbed to find this note. We got the buy one get one free offer so I can't complain other than to say that I still would have preferred to know this in advance. :mad:

txoilworker

• This is copied from the travel site where I made my reservations.

• Avalon Tapestry
  • Note for April 4, 2010 Departure Date:
    Due to lock closures the ship will only be able to sail as far as Passau and the following modifications have been made:

Day 9 and 10: All shore excursions to Regensburg and Nuremberg will be included and operated by motorcoach
    - Drive time from Passau to Regensburg is approximately 1.5 hrs
    - Drive time from Passau to Nuremburg approximately 2.5 hrs
    - Passengers will still overnight on the ship
    - All meals are still included, with lunches being at local restaurants

Day 11: Disembarkation for this departure will be Passau instead of Nuremberg. The transfer from Passau to Prague is similar in length as Nuremberg to Prague
  • Note for April 15, 2010 Departure Date: Avalon Poetry

Days 9 & 10: All shore excursions to Regensburg and Nuremberg will be included and operated by motorcoach (Passengers will still overnight on the ship and all meals are still included, with lunches being at local restaurants)
    Day 11: Disembarkation for this departure will be Passau instead of Nuremberg. The transfer from Passau to Prague is similar in length to Nuremberg to Prague
  • In the event of water level problems on stretches of any river, it may be necessary to operate part of the itinerary by motorcoach.
  • Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
  • Included visits and special features are subject to change. If a change becomes necessary, a substitute will be offered.

The lock closures are published by the authorities very early. Actually the 2011 dates are already published (online). Sure there can be sort of last minute changes. But anyway I still don´t understand why the cruise companies do ignore these closures when making their schedules. O.k., I might understand. From my steamboat friends I know that the office is making the schedule not the river people. And the office people don´t have a clue of navigation and definitely think it´s not worth talking with the river people about their plans...:D

steamboats

Archived