ES and other sites offering upgrades?

sunseeker09

We booked with ES and have received a couple or reductions already (once before final payment, and once after final payment as OBC). That's all great. No complaints there.

So what about other sites that advertise things like this:

"$$$ Book now and receive a FREE two category upgrade within category type on select categories. Interline eligible guests may book up to three reduced rate cabins on select categories. Book by November 30, 2009. "

This is as well as the cheapest price.

Does Carnival honour such things? I mean, if we had booked through this site instead, we'd be getting a 2 category upgrade for the same price we paid through Carnival for 2 categories lower (the basic 8A balcony).

It's not really a big deal, as we're just happy to have a balcony (I think, unless we found out later it's a noisy spot!) but I'm curious?

If you called and tried to book to get those SELECT categories, you would find out that the SELECT categories are probably a past guest rate.

Unless the category that gives you the free upgrades, still is less than your ES rate, they wouldnt honor it. Believe me you arent going to get free upgrades booking ES with that other site either. Thats why all the disclaimers about "SELECT" ... they mean you dont get the free upgrades with all rates.

We booked with ES and have received a couple or reductions already (once before final payment, and once after final payment as OBC). That's all great. No complaints there.

"$$$ Book now and receive a FREE two category upgrade within category type on select categories. Interline eligible guests may book up to three reduced rate cabins on select categories. Book by November 30, 2009. "

Does Carnival honour such things? I mean, if we had booked through this site instead, we'd be getting a 2 category upgrade for the same price we paid through Carnival for 2 categories lower (the basic 8A balcony).

It's not really a big deal, as we're just happy to have a balcony (I think, unless we found out later it's a noisy spot!) but I'm curious?

They don't match travel agent promotions. Here's the rule from their website concerning lower prices:

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If, after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

• What is a Carnival advertised fare?

A Carnival.com or Carnival advertised fare available to the general public. A Carnival advertised fare excludes group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates.

They don't match travel agent promotions. Here's the rule from their website concerning lower prices:

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If' date=' after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

[b']• What is a Carnival advertised fare?[/b]

A Carnival.com or Carnival advertised fare available to the general public. A Carnival advertised fare excludes group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates.

G'ma thats not a travel agent promotion though. Any public site is showing Carnival rates, (they arent allowed to advertise lower Carnival rates, only email them to you or on the telephone, in private).

Carnival even asks you which site you saw the rate on ... so obviously if its a advertised rate for Carnival cruises, no matter which site its on, its a "Carnival rate". ... this isnt a case of a private offer where a TA is cutting their commission. Iv seen the same advertisements and know they dont apply to ES rates. ...

I would go so far as to say that site that uses that wording, is just trying to get you to call them and book. Its meant to confuse and make you think... well maybe they will give me a free upgrade with ES.

I am going to say the answer to the OP's question is No.

I have clients sailing the Triumph.

There is at least one on line cruise only agency advertising book a Cat 8E get 2 Cat up grade to Cat 8M for price of the 8E

Called to book them w/Carnival - Carnival unaware of this promotion and not honoring.

Cat M actually cost them $30.00 more to book with Carnival than if they had booked thru the cruiseonly agency. (Not alot of money but not the point)

Carnivals reps response was if you prefer - have them book with the online agency.

Luckily my clients still booked with us.

Carnival even asks you which site you saw the rate on ... so obviously if its a advertised rate for Carnival cruises, no matter which site its on, its a "Carnival rate". ... this isnt a case of a private offer where a TA is cutting their commission. Iv seen the same advertisements and know they dont apply to ES rates. ...

firefly333.... I respectfully disagree with the above...I thought this was the case too, but we are currently going through this issue with Carnival.....saw an advertised rate for Carnival on another site (actually the one through which we booked) showing a really great rate for a suite, screen printed it, called Carnival to match it, even emailed a copy of it as proof to them, climbed up the management ladder with emailed proof and all. Carnival's response was that since it was not a "system listed price" in their system they would not honor it. The price has since gone back up...so now Carnival just keeps saying they can't "see" the rate...well, duh, it changed, just like the Carnival site daily price changes, but they have the emailed proof of my price upgrade request. Still working on this.....but Carnival won't budge so far, even though it was a legit site and one they have honored their prices/reductions/upgrades many times in the past. UGGGHHH!

firefly333.... I respectfully disagree with the above...I thought this was the case too, but we are currently going through this issue with Carnival.....saw an advertised rate for Carnival on another site (actually the one through which we booked) showing a really great rate for a suite, screen printed it, called Carnival to match it, even emailed a copy of it as proof to them, climbed up the management ladder with emailed proof and all. Carnival's response was that since it was not a "system listed price" in their system they would not honor it. The price has since gone back up...so now Carnival just keeps saying they can't "see" the rate...well, duh, it changed, just like the Carnival site daily price changes, but they have the emailed proof of my price upgrade request. Still working on this.....but Carnival won't budge so far, even though it was a legit site and one they have honored their prices/reductions/upgrades many times in the past. UGGGHHH!

Well, if Carnival doesnt allow TA sites to advertise lower rates, I guess I dont get how they can do it either, assuming its legit, not a misprint.

... and why would Carnival ask which site you see the rate on. Im pretty sure some have said other sites and gotten the drops, but they could be on Carnival site too.

OK, you got me.

This is exactly the problem I ran into this week

Yes, they asked which site the lower price - cat upgrade offer was - told them - didn't matter - the rep I spoke with did not have the capability to acess the other site and "see" it - so why did you ask me?

Another answer rep gave was possibility the other cruise only site had not been updated yet and that offer was in fact no longer available - well its a week or so later and the offer is still available

My client even called Carnival direct to get a price themselves and got the same answer

First time I have ever run into something like this

I, in fact, did question the rep about other sites discounting Carnivals prices and the response was they didn't know anything about it

I didn't get any satisfaction

Well, if Carnival doesnt allow TA sites to advertise lower rates, I guess I dont get how they can do it either, assuming its legit, not a misprint.

... and why would Carnival ask which site you see the rate on. Im pretty sure some have said other sites and gotten the drops, but they could be on Carnival site too.

OK, you got me.

The TA's contracts with Carnival state that the TA cannot advertise rates lower than Carnival's rates, else the TA can lose their booking privileges with Carnival (this reportedly happened with COSTCO some time ago!). The TA can however discount your rate (rebate commission) and such if you call them and discuss same (they just can't advertise lower rate) but this excludes such dealings from ES price matching since that rate isn't advertised. .

Often you'll find that in actuality the TA-advertised rate/upgrades are already available thru Carnival, usually only for selected cruises (and/or Promo rates or Guarantee Rate that the TA didn't make clear).

WRT the price adjustment Form's entry for "where did you see the offer", I personally strongly suspect that this form was originally copied from the 110% Price Guarantee form (which does allow price-matching other sites advertised rates) and that irrelevant field not deleted by a lazy employee.

ken

The TA's contracts with Carnival state that the TA cannot advertise rates lower than Carnival's rates, else the TA can lose their booking privileges with Carnival (this reportedly happened with XXXXXX some time ago!). The TA can however discount your rate (rebate commission) and such if you call them and discuss same (they just can't advertise lower rate) but this excludes such dealings from ES price matching since that rate isn't advertised. .

Often you'll find that in actuality the TA-advertised rate/upgrades are already available thru Carnival, usually only for selected cruises (and/or Promo rates or Guarantee Rate that the TA didn't make clear).

WRT the price adjustment Form's entry for where did you see the offer, I personally strongly suspect that this form was originally copied from the 110% Price Guarantee form (which does allow price-matching other sites advertised rates) by a lazy employee.

ken

I know the site that the OP is copying and pasting and that they are referring to past guest rates. The site might offer both past guest and senior, but the free upgrade is only available for the past guest.

Im assuming the above TA found a rate on another site, not the one the OP referred to, which Im sure is a Carnival rate as I said ... but I cant speak for all sites. Iv seen some mistakes and misprints, even higher prices than Carnival's. Carnival wouldnt match a wrong rate posted on a TA site.

Unless the OP actually calls to find out what the rate is, they wouldnt ever be sure. Iv seen that TA and know which one they are referring to. If they do discount Carnival's rate, you have to get it on email and they will email you a group rate some times. They wouldnt advertise it.

Thanks everyone for all the interesting info. This stuff is all so new to me. I'm not going to even bother to pursue this it's a lost cause... which is no biggie to me. Like I said... we're happy to have the balcony room with have booked, and to have had a few reductions.

BTW... That other site doesn't say anything about having to be a past guest or anything, so that would be really annoying to call and find out that only "special" people can get the deal. Guess I'm glad I just booked through Carnival. ;)

Thanks everyone for all the interesting info. This stuff is all so new to me. I'm not going to even bother to pursue this it's a lost cause... which is no biggie to me. Like I said... we're happy to have the balcony room with have booked, and to have had a few reductions.

BTW... That other site doesn't say anything about having to be a past guest or anything, so that would be really annoying to call and find out that only "special" people can get the deal. Guess I'm glad I just booked through Carnival. ;)

I don't know when you are sailing, but keep checking the rates for your category because you are still eligible for the price drops up to 48 hours before you sail, so you may still get some more OBC.

Has anyone gotten a reduction on their taxes when requesting a price drop? When I originally booked at $719, I was charged taxes on that amount. Since then I have gotten price drops equaling $120 per person but still paid taxes at the original amount. We booked with ES.

The taxes are per person, not a percentage. They dont change no matter if you booked a suite or a inside. Unless there is a decrease or increase in the amount for other reasons, it wouldnt change just because your rate changed. I have had taxes and fees change by a tiny amount, and had to pay the increase on my Ecstasy last January out of my rate drop. ... so the amount CAN change, but it has nothing to do with your rate.

G'ma thats not a travel agent promotion though. Any public site is showing Carnival rates, (they arent allowed to advertise lower Carnival rates, only email them to you or on the telephone, in private).

I would go so far as to say that site that uses that wording, is just trying to get you to call them and book. Its meant to confuse and make you think... well maybe they will give me a free upgrade with ES.

Well, unless Carnival is offering the upgrades also, it isn't a published Carnival deal. The price might be Carnival's, the upgrade isn't.

Well' date=' unless Carnival is offering the upgrades also, it isn't a published Carnival deal. The price might be Carnival's, the upgrade isn't.[/quote']

the upgrades are a Carnival promotion, because when I see those exact words on a site ... for my cruise.. the rates corespond to the past guest rates ...(the site just doesnt specify what rates they are).

Im not saying there are no TAs offering free upgrades, but usually, on most online TA sites, it is a past guest rate when you see those particular words the OP is quoting from my own experience. Some people dont seem to know you dont see that rate unless you do a advanced search.

Put another way, if it was a TA site offered 2 category upgrades for all cruises then they would say so. That particular verbage, with all the ifs ands and butts, is saying its is for a particular rate ... cant apply to all categorys etc ... It is too much of a disclaimer to be from a TA just offering it for all cruises... Iv seen that verbage before... and called.

Carnival would only honor this offer if it was on their website. They do not honor offers from other TA's.

Carnival would only honor this offer if it was on their website. They do not honor offers from other TA's.

How could Carnival honor it anyway ... its too nonspecific .... get 2 category upgrades ... on specific categorys..(doesnt say what specific categorys it applies to).

this is not the verbage from a TA offering free upgrades on its own.

Well, the other site changed their verbage already and now it is specific to 55+ or past guests, and the resident discount we took advantage of is gone... Maybe they read Cruise Critic? lol

Chacooe - We are sailing Jan.3, so yes, I will continue to monitor the rates. I just often check other sites because it's much easier to see things like resident discounts without having to hunt and peck like Carnival's site. Thanks. :)

Archived