GMA a mistake?

DEIx15x8

Anyone else think GMA is a big mistake? At first it sounded like they were going to be broadcasting the show Live from the Oasis of the Seas like Today did on Freedom. After watching last weeks arrival and now after the promo they aired today it sounds as though it will only be a few segments as only Sam Champion will be on board. To make things worse the Today show used 3 hours to broadcast Freedom and now could offer 4, while GMA can only give 2 and since it seems they will only be segments most likely will only give 30 minutes. That seems like an impossible amount of time to show off this ship in since Today didn't even cover all of Freedom in 6 times that amount of time.

There is also the fact that GMA has terrible cameras. I don't know how many people on here watch in HD or can tell the difference between HD and SD but last weeks arrival was done almost entirely with SD cameras. That is why most shots looked blurry, they took a widescreen SD camera and attempted to up-convert. They even aired a shot in full screen HD up-converted Live and then 30 minuted later re-aired the shot in it's original SD with bars on the sides. It is really annoying when they would jump between HD cameras and SD ones because the change is huge. Hopefully they will bring HD cameras for tomorrow but from what I've seen I think all their remote cameras are SD up-converts.

They did it again. "We're going to be broadcasting from the Oasis of the seas tomorrow to show you all the behind the scenes action." Then later the on location person says she'll see Sam tomorrow. The in studio people then tell Sam that he'll be running from end to end tomorrow. So they are still sending the same conflicting messages they have been since last week but I'm about 99.99% positive now that it is definitely just Sam and maybe that other news person that is already there. Really disappointing that their wasting such a good opportunity.

What were you expecting? GMA has to appeal to thier core audience, who mostly have never cruised. In a typical morning they do news, entertainment features, food segment, home issues etc.... They just cant ignore all of that and devote 2 hours to OASIS. I think we and RCCL will get about 20 min total covering the ship. The other 10 min will be inane dribble from the hosts and useless interviews with the captain which we all have seen already because of his blogs. Personally, I'm happy with any coverage but if you think about it even whole shows that are devoted to ships (like Samantha Brown on Freedom) aren't indepth enough for me.

What were you expecting? GMA has to appeal to thier core audience, who mostly have never cruised. In a typical morning they do news, entertainment features, food segment, home issues etc.... They just cant ignore all of that and devote 2 hours to OASIS. I think we and RCCL will get about 20 min total covering the ship. The other 10 min will be inane dribble from the hosts and useless interviews with the captain which we all have seen already because of his blogs. Personally, I'm happy with any coverage but if you think about it even whole shows that are devoted to ships (like Samantha Brown on Freedom) aren't indepth enough for me.

The Today Show did it for three hours Live from the Freedom of the Seas anchored by the Statue of Liberty. They did all their usual segments. They started the show broadcasting the news from chairs in the crown lounge over looking the pool deck. They did a fashion segment on the Royal Promenade bridge, a food segment in the Dinning Room. They did all the usual segments and interviews but did everything from various locations onboard the ship. They probably devoted about 1-1.5 hours of the three hours to specifically talking about the ship but every segment showed the different areas of the ship even when the topic was not directly ship related. I remember that day was also very bad weather, lots of fog and rain but they still managed to show a lot of stuff. I had been expecting GMA would do the same thing. I never expected them to change their show to an infomercial but I had expected them to be "Broadcasting Live from the Oasis of the Seas" as has been advertised for awhile. I think their is a difference between broadcast GMA live from the ship and broadcasting segment live from the ship. The location of the show is determined by where the anchors are.

About two months ago the Today Show did a similar thing with the new Cowboys stadium where they broadcast from their but still did the usual segments. For that one though only the guys went so the segments were split 50/50 between the guys at the stadium and the girls in NYC.

After to listening closely to the GMA folks this morning, I too think this may be just a compilation of quick spots from several areas on the ship. The young lady already on board from GMA said she will be in an Aquatheater mini-show tomorrow morning and Sam will be running all over the place. Doesn't sound too promising but I wil be watching anyway.

Has anyone heard of a Travel Channel or Discovery Channel show regarding the building of the Oasis? I have to believe that someone is planning such a show. Surely Samantha Brown will have an Oasis show soon.

Now to get petty... it drives me crazy when reporters/TV faces have no idea what they are talking about. This AM the GMA lady already on the ship was standing near the mooring lines saying that "these lines are called ropes..." DUH... Is it just me or am I expecting too much? It's like news folks saying a revolver is an automatic weapon...:eek:

--------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

I would suggest to most of you to relax a bit, take a deep breath, and find your happy place.

There is little about this ship that GMA will tell us that a we don't already know. For me, I'm not expecting much. The Today Show is much more "personality" driven than GMA, and, yes, since the Mouse owns GMA, I'm just hoping for some good pictures.

The bottom line is this: within a month, enough YouTube videos will come in from us OCD planners that we'll know every inch of the ship before we even step foot on her.

After to listening closely to the GMA folks this morning, I too think this may be just a compilation of quick spots from several areas on the ship. The young lady already on board from GMA said she will be in an Aquatheater mini-show tomorrow morning and Sam will be running all over the place. Doesn't sound too promising but I wil be watching anyway.

Has anyone heard of a Travel Channel or Discovery Channel show regarding the building of the Oasis? I have to believe that someone is planning such a show. Surely Samantha Brown will have an Oasis show soon.

Discovery Channel was in Turku during the construction process working on a show dedicated to the ship, which was confirmed by people who worked on the ship.

Some members on here have mentioned that it may have been for the new show Discovery has been airing called "Mighty Ships". I'm guessing it may be at least 6mths to a year before we see anything actually airing.

Travel Channel or Discovery Channel show regarding the building of the Oasis? I have to believe that someone is planning such a show. Surely Samantha Brown will have an Oasis show soon.

They will be on the ship and have been covering the ship for a shot called "Mighty Ships". They have covered the construction in Finland and will be coving the first 2 inaugural sailings...December 1st-12th...:D

As a big Today Show fan, I agree. Why did RCI go with ABC? Do you think the Today Show wasn't interested?

That was a suspicion from a lot of my associates that the Today Show had no interest. Please remember the media has been all doom and gloom reporting how awful the economy is and how many Americans are suffering etc. and it makes perfect sense the Today Show might recoil from broadcasting live on a ship most Americans can not afford.

... And the Oasis of the Seas fits right in with GMA's BIG Getaway they have promoted this year. What better BIG getaway than the Oasis of the Seas.

"Fifteen lucky viewers and their guests will be on the ship next week as "GMA" broadcasts live from the Oasis Friday, Nov. 20.

"GMA" worked with WABC-TV, New York and KGO-TV San Francisco and four ABC affiliate stations: WTNH, Hartford Conn., WPLG, Miami, WFTV, Orlando, Fla. and KOMO, Seattle, Wash., to hold "'GMA's' Biggest Getaway Ever" contest. There will be three winners from each market. Each winner is someone who has been recognized for giving back to his or her community."

I am shocked. I was on the Today Show sailing. There was so much excitement; not only was it a new ship, but the tv crews were running across the ship because the entire broadcast was live. This is a joke; 2 minute segments every half hour. Wow, what a waste of an opportunity..

I agree with Tootsieh. The camera work is so bad - they are flitting all over the place - you really can't get a good fix on anything. :(

Agree. All the shots are in kind of weird positions in each of the locations. They dont give you alot of panorama's or dramatic shots to fully take in each location. Which they should since it is for marketing purposes they are doing this.

My dh, who is super excited to be on January 16th sailing (along with super excited me) said, "if I wasn't already booked on this ship, I'd have no desire to go on her, based on this show."

Very disappointing.

We wanted to see restaurants and staterooms (from insides to suites). Wouldn't it have been nice to show a couple standing on their balcony looking out at the sea, or on their balcony looking over the aft pool and ocean.

GMA, your show was terrible!

I disagree, I think showing staterooms would have been a terrible decision. The truth is they are not trying to show off rooms they are trying to show off the "Wow" factor of this huge ship at sea. Thats why everything shown was stuff that is new to sea like the zipline, central park.

Archived