Warm enough for shorts in February?

WouldBeCruiser

Gentlemen, feel free to ignore this post and read no further, I don't want to bore you.

I'm hoping the ladies will give me some advice, as I have a packing problem!

I'm usually the " take everything except the kitchen sink" variety of traveler. I always overpack - use up my full luggage allowance and of course end up bringing home piles of clothes that I never wore, and I feel comfortable travelling that way because I know that I'm prepared for any weather.

However, this time we are travelling with another couple, four of us in one rental car. We are doing a week of sightseeing in Orlando and then our four day Carnival cruise to the Bahamas.

I won't be able to take more than one suitcase, or they won't all fit in the car, so I have to abandon my usual packing strategy, and keep it to one suitcase. We have already decided that it would be a good idea to use a coin laundry on our last Orlando day so we at least will have some clean clothes for the cruise.

Although I have looked up the average temperatures for late January/ early February in that area, I am having a hard time equating this with my clothing needs.

I was thinking of a couple pairs of shorts, a couple pairs of capris, a pair of jeans, and one pair of black dress pants. then throwing in 6 different tops that will pretty much mix and match with all the bottoms. Of course my swimwear and towel will be included - that's a given, but I'm having trouble deciding about warmer clothes.

A friend who travelled last year told me to just take one sweater in case it's a little chilly in the evenngs.

Do you think that short sleeved tops are going to be OK, or should I be packing warmer clothes?

I'd hate to spend the week shivering, or even worse have to go shopping and buy more clothes, so I would appreciate any advice, and thank you for reading this far!

I am anxious to see the responses to your question. I will be cruising late February/early March to the eastern Caribbean from Canaveral and have been wondering the same.

I'm sure that someone will take pity on us and offer some advice. Keeping my fingers crossed for some help.

For the most part you will be fine with what you are packing (especially since you are coming from the frozen north!) Definitely take a sweater or 2 as it sometimes can be very cool onboard in the evenings in the dining & public rooms and Fla & the Bahamas can also get "cold snaps" where it can be cold (50's ) for a few days. Short sleeve shirts should be fine. Have a great cruise!

It's very, very hard to say; in fact, it is simply impossible to make anything other than a wild guess. For the most part, February in central FL is absolutely beautiful. Typically warm enough that you are fine in shorts, but cool enough that you can wear long pants or long sleeve shirts without sweating profusely. However, we also almost always have some days in February where it is quite cold (as in temps in the low 20s, with highs around 50) - cold enough that you'd likely something much more than just a sweater. On the bright side, the cold front blows through, it's cold for a couple of days, then returns to beautiful. Also on the bright side, these cold fronts are very obvious and can be clearly tracked as they move down from the north & sweep from west to east. In the wintertime, long-rane (i.e. 10 day) forecasts are usually very accurate, with the arrival/end of the cold front rarely being off by more than a few hours, half a day at the most - accurate enough for you to see what the weather will be when you're here.

You're packing what I would pack. Just take along a sweater for eveings and maybe I'd pack a jogging/wind suit if you need something for walking in Orlando if it's really cool.

Why pack a towel? Not needed on the ship or in any hotel you'll be at in Orlando.

I'd say plan on being able to layer up if cold. ie, it's ok to bring only one sweatshirt if you always wear different shirts under it, since those are the one that will get soiled from you sweating on them during the day. I've had particularly bad luck with cold in Florida during the winter months- on both a January and a March trip to Orlando, I spent most of the time in jeans and a sweatshirt over a t-shirt, going with just the t-shirt during only the warmest part of the day. This isn't the norm statistically, but it can happen so you want to be prepared. Just make sure you have at least 1-2 pairs of jeans and a sweatshirt that you can wear over t-shirts if need be. Once you head toward the Bahamas, it should be warmer than Orlando, generally.

I agree with the other advice and might add I've been to Fl. in Feb for the last 12 years. Orlando area can be very hot or very cool. I've had times where I had to buy extra sweatshirts to wear over what we had. You don't have to worry about weight so pack using space bags so you can fit more in your luggage. Leave the towel home and as you said do some laundry as often as you need to. Most importantly HAVE FUN!

February is a tough call. I live here and have vivid recollections of the past four Februarys because of an event I do every February, middle of the month. During the Miami Boat Show, I host a party for the Hatteras folks on my boat. Some years, we are wearing jackets, and even those who came from Michigan were uncomfortably cold in their light jackets. Last year, shorts and tank tops. The year before, heavy rain and damaging winds.

Last year, I ran heat for 10 nights, most of which were in February. A couple of years before that - never turned it on. There is just no "for sure" answer for February. So, like others have said, bring a little of both and prepare to layer if you have to. Also, check the weather about a week out - you'll be able to see if there is a strong cold front coming through - that's when it's cold. Some years we get them one right after another, and some years, they are mild and have some distance between them.

Although I have looked up the average temperatures for late January/ early February in that area, I am having a hard time equating this with my clothing needs.

I was thinking of a couple pairs of shorts, a couple pairs of capris, a pair of jeans, and one pair of black dress pants. then throwing in 6 different tops that will pretty much mix and match with all the bottoms. Of course my swimwear and towel will be included - that's a given, but I'm having trouble deciding about warmer clothes.

A friend who travelled last year told me to just take one sweater in case it's a little chilly in the evenngs.

Do you think that short sleeved tops are going to be OK, or should I be packing warmer clothes?

Leave the towel home and add a button sweater that can be worn over your short sleeves tops if you need it and pack one long sleeve top. Presuming you are flying to Florida leave your heavy winter coat home and wear a lighter weight spring/fall jacket that "could" be worn in Orlando during the evening IF needed. Hope you enjoy your vacation!:)

Since you are from the great north, I would say that no matter how cold it got in Florida, it would still be warmer than your home. But in regards to comfort, I have been in Orlanda at the land of the big mouse, in February. It rained, it was cold, and I ended up buying several sweat shirts and layered. On the ship with the wind, and being on the water it can be cool. Now you are looking at where I am from and it says Atlanta......I know the difference between cold and cool.

Former homes, Minnesota, northern France, New Jersey, Boston, Vermont. Remember to layer with style.

Gentlemen, feel free to ignore this post and read no further, I don't want to bore you.

I'm usually the " take everything except the kitchen sink" variety of traveler. I always overpack - use up my full luggage allowance and of course end up bringing home piles of clothes that I never wore, and I feel comfortable travelling that way because I know that I'm prepared for any weather.

However, this time we are travelling with another couple, four of us in one rental car. We are doing a week of sightseeing in Orlando and then our four day Carnival cruise to the Bahamas.

I won't be able to take more than one suitcase, or they won't all fit in the car, so I have to abandon my usual packing strategy, and keep it to one suitcase. We have already decided that it would be a good idea to use a coin laundry on our last Orlando day so we at least will have some clean clothes for the cruise.

I'd hate to spend the week shivering, or even worse have to go shopping and buy more clothes, so I would appreciate any advice, and thank you for reading this far!

Orlando the weather is very iffy in the winter months. One day it can be in the high 70's and the next in the 40's during the day. It all depends on the weather they are having in the north. If there are lot's of snowstorms then it usually will affect us. If you live in a colder climate then the weather probably will be fine for you to wear shorts. I've lived in Florida almost 15 years so if it get's in the 60's I'm chilly. Definately pack some clothes incase it's cooler it can get pretty chilly at night. Jan-March we can get a lot of cold fronts.

Now the bahamas It will probably be in the low-mid 70's. The water will probably be pretty chilly in the ocean for swimming.

Spacesaver bags help when needing extra packing space. Your selection of clothes sound perfect.

A problem I have when leaving here cold and arriving warm is my coat. I hate to be cold but then I hate lugging a heavy coat. I purchased a coat from Lands End a couple of years ago. Not super heavy but warm with a lining and it can be folded/zipped up to a square. Very easy to fool with tote in your carry on. Love it!;)

Other then the towel, you did a great job packing! Years ago I packed towels and they take up so much room! I love capris choice. They do great with a sweater if a bit cool but not too hot when it warms up and the sweater comes off... Have a great trip!!

If you like to take a few more pieces, for options, try using space bags.

Pro space bags: you can pack more in the luggage

Con space bags: luggage becomes super heavy

These shrink wrap bags come in different sizes with several per box. They are found in Target, BJ's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Sam's Club, etc.

Have a safe journey and enjoy your holiday!

I live in Ft. Lauderdale which is quite a bit south of Orlando, and it can be quite chilly in February sometimes. So, if I were traveling to Orlando in February, I'd definitely bring 2 long-sleeved shirts that can be layered and a warm cardigan sweater. That should be enough if it turns out to be chilly as long as you have a pair of jeans or khakis.

Archived