Beware Conquest Cabin 7228

storelady

For anyone who is considering booking the only handicap-accessible suite on the Conquest, cabin 7228, be forewarned that this cabin has NO handicap accessible shower. The cabin is very large but the bathroom only has a VERY deep bathtub with a hose type shower head. There is also no shower curtain around the tub.

I just returned from a 7 day cruise with my wheelchair bound mother-in-law. She was not able to step over the high sides of the tub and had no way to shower. The room does have a bidet (useless) that could be removed and a walk-in shower installed.

How can a cruise line offer a handicap accessible cabin without a shower? Also, the balcony door was a swing type instead of a slider. It is impossible for a person in a wheelchair to open that door. Sometimes it took all the strength I have to get it open or closed. Very bad design!

So if you or someone in your party is in a wheelchair you might want to think twice before booking this cabin.

People in wheelchairs should also be aware that HC cabins on Fantasy class ships ALL have a step up into the bathroom Im told. We loved the bars in the bathroom and the shower seat, but thats all you get. You still have to have someone get that wheelchair over the step up into the bathroom if you cant walk.

Just something to be aware of. For us it was great, my sister can hold onto the door jambs and pull herself up the step, but for some it could be a issue. I think all the HC cabins were converted along the way for Fantasy class ships.

I'm afraid removing the bidet and installing a shower would have to be done while the ship was in dry dock. But it wouldn't take much to do it since the plumbing and drain is already there for the bidet. Just install a couple of walls and a shower wand.

I was in that cabin when I was last on the Conquest- I'm not handicapped and am unsure why the TA put me there, except that it was a large room and the bathroom was unbelievably large. It was strange though I kept thinking it couldn't be a handicapped room because A: I was not handicapped (and surely they needed it) and B: There was only a tub and I couldn't figure out how anyone in a wheelchair could use it. On the other hand the room was too big and arranged in such a way that I figured it had to be an accessible room. Strange... I wonder what they were thinking when they designed it that way.

Archived