HAL Line Wins Nine Porthole Readers' Choice Awards

Krazy Kruizers

Holland America Line Wins Nine Porthole Readers' Choice Awards

Premium Cruise Line Attracts Top Itineraries, Best Private Island & Most Eco-Friendly Honors

Seattle, Wash., November 19, 2009 – Among the nine 2009 Readers’ Choice Awards that Holland America Line has received from Porthole Cruise Magazine are five that recognize the line’s varied and port-intensive cruise itineraries. Readers of Porthole conferred awards for Best Central America/Panama Canal, Best Northern Europe, Best Alaska, and Best Australia/New Zealand Itineraries, and Best Private Island for Half Moon Cay, the line’s exclusive Bahamian port call that appears on most Caribbean cruise itineraries.

In the 11th annual awards, the line also took top honors as most Eco-Friendly Cruise Line and for having the Best Spa Facilities, as well as a pair for Best Overall Facilities for Physically Challenged Passengers and Best Medical Facilities.

“Being recognized for five cruise itinerary regions is a true testament to our goal of delivering unique and in-depth cruise itineraries for our guests,” said Richard D. Meadows, CTC, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs. “We are also very proud to be recognized for our commitment to environmental stewardship and the three additional awards for access, medical facilities and our luxurious spas are a great acknowledgement of the services we provide to our guests. We are delighted.”

”Porthole Cruise Magazine is the top source of cruise and destination content for savvy travelers,” said Bill Panoff, publisher and editor-in-chief of the magazine. “Our readers appreciate the quality and overall cruise experience that a premium line such as Holland America Line delivers every day.”

Artful Itineraries Blend World Sights with New Discoveries

Known for its longer, port-heavy cruise itineraries, Holland America Line picked up its five cruise itinerary-themed awards for destinations spanning the globe. In Alaska, the line operates three major cruising itineraries — Glacier Bay Inside Passage, Glacier Discovery and Alaskan Explorer cruises — that showcase the highlights of Alaska with distinctive options to suit the various wishes of Alaskan-bound travelers. Northern Europe cruises combine the best of the Baltic with British Isles and Norwegian Fjord exploration. Departure ports now include Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Dover or Greenwich (London) and Copenhagen.

Australia/New Zealand sailings offer a mix of 14-day Sydney roundtrip and Sydney to Auckland adventures as well as the new 34-day circumnavigation of Australia with five days in the Great Barrier Reef. Among the line’s most popular itineraries, Panama Canal cruises sail the engineering marvel on five ships or guests can opt for a day visit to the canal on a 10-day roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale that includes several Caribbean ports.

In 2009, Half Moon Cay received its ninth Best Private Island acknowledgement from Porthole readers. Built as a sustainable port of call, the island’s offerings provide private beach cabanas, an exclusive over-water bungalow, a full beachside water park for children, and an array of shore excursions that include horseback riding by land and sea, personal watercraft adventures and an opportunity to swim with stingrays.

Top Awards for Environment and Spa, Too

Holland America Line won the Most Eco-Friendly Cruise Line award for their commitment to responsible environmental practices through comprehensive and innovative fleet-wide programs. The program emphasizes waste reduction and recycling, use of cleaner-burning propulsion technology and cutting-edge solutions. Holland America Line’s ships currently meet or exceed all provisions of the international regulations governing the environmental management of marine operations.

Holland America Line also has a history of embracing new environmental technologies such as shore power while ships are in port — one of two cruise lines to utilize this eco-friendly power — and being the first cruise line to install state-of-the-art, level-four water treatment systems and implement a whale strike avoidance program.

According to Meadows, the nod for Best Spa comes from the line’s focus on unique offerings in the Greenhouse Spa and Salon offered as a part of the $525 million Signature of Excellence enhancement program. The Greenhouse Spa and Salon with fitness center offers guests relaxation and rejuvenation as well as beauty and wellness rituals ranging from tai chi to hot stone couples massages.

Completing the awards, Holland America Line received recognition for its accessibility and medical facilities. Holland America Line ships accommodate guests with a variety of special needs including those requiring wheelchairs, scooters or service animals; those who have sight or hearing impairments; and those using oxygen.

And each Holland America Line ship has a medical center carrying much of the standard equipment found in North American hospital emergency departments. The onboard medical center accommodates most emergencies and routine medical procedures and is staffed by two to four registered nurses, a crew physician and the ship’s doctor — all certified in advanced cardiac life support. For additional information, consult a professional travel agent, call 1-877-SAIL HAL (877-724-5425) or visit www.hollandamerica.com.

Please send this to the smug groupies at the Brand X luxury cruise lines board.

Hint: What sane person would make a name of a cruise line from "cry" and "stall"?

The Xers were being very smug and cruel last night, IE: ave. age 128.5, HAL is God's waiting room, etc.

I'll get a copy of Port Hole Magazine and see what awards X got. My guess, some, P/H has to spread the kudos around to maintain advertising revenue.

I'll get a copy of Port Hole Magazine and see what awards X got. My guess, some, P/H has to spread the kudos around to maintain advertising revenue.

You are right about "industry" awards. Spread them around like self-esteem badges they give out in school now instead of grades.

Darn tootin, HAL is God's waiting room, because there is no reason when you are on board to leave. I might characterize Brand X as purgatory where you are punished until you get it right. (that is, stop being stupid and get a ticket for HAL)

Porthole magazine is almost notorious for the way it gives awards contingent on the amount of advertizing a cruise line gives them. When this magazine first came out I subscribed for several years but as the articles became less ship and cruise oriented and went into things like shopping (Colombia Emerals, for example) I found that Cruise News was much more what I look for:)

Please send this to the smug groupies at the Brand X luxury cruise lines board.

Hint: What sane person would make a name of a cruise line from "cry" and "stall"?

This may be of interest to you ...

ZAGAT SURVEYORS NAME CRYSTAL CRUISES AS FAVORITE

Also Rated Number One for Facilities and Activities

LOS ANGELES, November 20, 2009 – Zagat recently released the results of its first cruise line survey revealing that travelers named Crystal Cruises as their “favorite” among mid-sized ships. The ultra-luxury line was also the winner for Top Facilities and Top Activities.

The survey, conducted on ZAGAT.com, covers 22 major cruise lines as voted on by 2,379 regular cruisers.

The announcement comes less than a month after Condé Nast Traveler readers voted Crystal Cruises as the “Best Large-Ship Cruise Line” for a 16th year and, in August, Travel + Leisure readers voted the ultra-luxury line as the “World’s Best” for a 14th consecutive year. Crystal Cruises has also recently been awarded Best Luxury Line by editors at Cruise Critic, trade magazines and leading travel agents.

“We are very pleased that experienced cruisers are rating Crystal as their favorite,” says Gregg Michel, president of Crystal Cruises. “The choices of sophisticated facilities and the array and quality of activities aboard Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity are resonating with guests who want their port experience embellished with an interesting and fulfilling shipboard experience.”

AG

Porthole magazine is almost notorious for the way it gives awards contingent on the amount of advertizing a cruise line gives them. When this magazine first came out I subscribed for several years but as the articles became less ship and cruise oriented and went into things like shopping (Colombia Emerals, for example) I found that Cruise News was much more what I look for:)

Absolutely. :)

Smooth sailing to you...

After you take away all the jewelry advertizments you aren't left with much quality reading material.

...as someone in the business once told me....magazine survey rewards have two primary focus points. The first is to reward the largest advertiser. The second is to encourage other advertisers to become the largest advertiser by spending more in the next fiscal period and thus creating additional demand/competition for space. Works well for both the auto and travel mags. We like HAL, but there are other cruise lines that we like just as much.

This may be of interest to you ...

ZAGAT SURVEYORS NAME CRYSXXX CRUISES AS FAVORITE

Also Rated Number One for Facilities and Activities

LOS ANGELES, November 20, 2009 – Zagat recently released the results of its first cruise line survey revealing that travelers named CrysXXX Cruises as their “favorite” among mid-sized ships. The ultra-luxury line was also the winner for Top Facilities and Top Activities......

AG

This is good news. This will divert all those who want to pretend they never left land to concentrate on this Brand X ship and leave the seasoned travellers who love cruising because they know they are on a ship to HAL. I have never been on worse shore excursions than those we went on CrysXXX. Never learned less about where I was going than the ship lectures on CrysXXX. Sorry, but my sense of luxury is not just paying someone bonus bucks to remember my name which is the most often mentioned "luxury" by it happy passengers.

Trust me, there is little "ultra" about their luxury besides the price. But for those that insist a ship not look, act or be a ship, this is an alternative to staying in a Ritz Carlton and watching National Geographic videos because that is about as much travel contact most passengers on Brand X allow themselves with their port stops.

Something to be viewed from a huge A/C bus and fed sanitized luncheons at Western amenity restaurants just so they can gain bragging rights they "went" to India.....Malayasia ....Egypt .... etc. Brand X is for tourists. HAL is for travellers.

I hope that I am not changing the subject, but isn't Crystal that cruiseline that offers that phoney 2f1 airfare with 2k spending money on board? I faintly remember it because I called them when I saw the deal.

As I remember, it was like next to impossible to get a booking that would give me the advertised deal (or a straight answer) from them when they called me on the phone after submitting my request.

I have read some very nice things about Crystal cruises, but the phone service I received just left me feeling like someone was trying to pull a con on me.

I like the way HAL operates, straight forward answers when I call, I can check prices online for various bookings to make sure that I am getting a good deal, and whenever I talk to one of their reps on the phone, they seem genuinely interested (and not just in my cash, which was the case when I talked to both Crystal and Regent). The phone reps for both Princess and HAL actually discuss things with me, and even give me some good tips.

Crystal and Regent made me feel like a dollar bill sign and just how quickly they could get me to book without actually discussing what I would be getting or where we would be best going.

Just my personal experiences, I am sure that there are a lot of people who actually like those cruise lines, I just didn't feel as though I was getting straight forward answers from them regarding their "promotions."

P.S. Both hubby and I are in our 30's, and I find it more than a tad insulting to call and entire cruise line "God's waiting room." If HAL does indeed have a majority of older (and experienced) cruisers, that just instills faith in me that I made the right decision in choosing HAL. :)

Brand X CrysXXX advertises their "list" price first, which is about 4X as much as HAL for similar itineraries and then sells it to you at either 50% or 2-for-1 at 2X as much. All part of their facade being worth more than the actual experience. Keep in mind their cabins are quite small. Some of their food is better, but you can only eat so much anyway so this is literally money down the drain.

I was even on their "Culinary" tour with a "celebrity" chef and the food was okay, but not spectacular. The buffet had more tasty choices, but that was the only real difference. The breads and pastries were awful, the cheeses were better. The novelty of over-consumption wore off in a few days and the rest of the trip was spent eating in far more limited amounts and choices, so why pay so much more for what in the long run you don't want or use.

This is why I see CrysXXX as a tourist ship. Superficial gimmicks rather than travelling substance. Save HAL for the travellers. CrysXXX has its very loyal fans for sure. And people are quite happy paying considerably more for what in fact amounts to very little value added when it comes to having a ship take you from point to point, be nice about it, feed you adequately, and pay attention to your travel safety.

Even after the phony Brand X discounts, you still get twice the cruising choosing HAL. If this matters, and it does to me, having better eggs benedict on Brand X in a dank, claustrophobic dining room with surly, resentful waiters is not worth the extra cost of Brand X, if they both take me through the Panama canal.

I'll just add a little more salt to mine on HAL and take more cruises with HAL, rather than comimg home from fewer on Brand X but able to brag about the eggs benedict, which are still better at my local cafe than either ship anyway. As should be expected. Brand X loyalists remind me of people who think because they paid more for something, it has more inherent value. Nope, all they did was pay more for it and any sense of extra value rests only in the cruise lines accountants which they may plow back into more frou frou. But you still get from point X to X in relative comfort on both lines. Why pay more?

I am glad Brand X cruisers love Brand X. I am glad this is where they stay ..... and pay. I would hate to see them show up on HAL and start their non-stop complaining.

Not sure why some think X is more expensive. We just selected X for a ten day Caribbean. Came down to a verandah cabin on Princess, HAL, or X. Prices we all just about equal. We went with X because we preferred the intinerary. I guess this makes us tourists instead of travellers. What a lot of hogwash.

Not sure why some think X is more expensive. We just selected X for a ten day Caribbean. Came down to a verandah cabin on Princess, HAL, or X. Prices we all just about equal. We went with X because we preferred the intinerary. I guess this makes us tourists instead of travellers. What a lot of hogwash.

Choosing a cruise for the itinerary gets points for being a traveller, not a tourist. In the Grand Scheme of Things.:cool:

Still just a load of hogwash. How can anyone deign to judge someone's character just by the cruise line that he or she prefers. We've been on many-from Crystal to Carnival and they were all good and they met our expectations. Fortunately, most of our travels are by land so we do not come across as many complainers or those who rush to judge their neighbour

Still just a load of hogwash. How can anyone deign to judge someone's character just by the cruise line that he or she prefers. We've been on many-from Crystal to Carnival and they were all good and they met our expectations. Fortunately, most of our travels are by land so we do not come across as many complainers or those who rush to judge their neighbour

You are right. Character assassination is inappropriate and silly over just a cruise line choice. I let myself get a wee bit carried away there. I am sufficiently embarrassed. I withdraw the personal conclusions reached, and only stick with the substantive ones. You were right to call me on this. Gheesh, it is just a cruise.:o As the kids say, me bad.

Brand X CrysXXX advertises their "list" price first, which is about 4X as much as HAL for similar itineraries and then sells it to you at either 50% or 2-for-1 at 2X as much. All part of their facade being worth more than the actual experience. Keep in mind their cabins are quite small. Some of their food is better, but you can only eat so much anyway so this is literally money down the drain.

I was even on their "Culinary" tour with a "celebrity" chef and the food was okay, but not spectacular. The buffet had more tasty choices, but that was the only real difference. The breads and pastries were awful, the cheeses were better. The novelty of over-consumption wore off in a few days and the rest of the trip was spent eating in far more limited amounts and choices, so why pay so much more for what in the long run you don't want or use.

This is why I see CrysXXX as a tourist ship. Superficial gimmicks rather than travelling substance. Save HAL for the travellers. CrysXXX has its very loyal fans for sure. And people are quite happy paying considerably more for what in fact amounts to very little value added when it comes to having a ship take you from point to point, be nice about it, feed you adequately, and pay attention to your travel safety.

Even after the phony Brand X discounts, you still get twice the cruising choosing HAL. If this matters, and it does to me, having better eggs benedict on Brand X in a dank, claustrophobic dining room with surly, resentful waiters is not worth the extra cost of Brand X, if they both take me through the Panama canal.

I'll just add a little more salt to mine on HAL and take more cruises with HAL, rather than comimg home from fewer on Brand X but able to brag about the eggs benedict, which are still better at my local cafe than either ship anyway. As should be expected. Brand X loyalists remind me of people who think because they paid more for something, it has more inherent value. Nope, all they did was pay more for it and any sense of extra value rests only in the cruise lines accountants which they may plow back into more frou frou. But you still get from point X to X in relative comfort on both lines. Why pay more?

I am glad Brand X cruisers love Brand X. I am glad this is where they stay ..... and pay. I would hate to see them show up on HAL and start their non-stop complaining.

With all your expertise and experience regarding Crystal, I wanted to view your posts on the Crystal board. When I used the Advanced Search function, I was very surprised to find ZERO posts by you on that board. (Now maybe I misused the search function, in which case I apologize for this post.) Why bother to make all the derogatory posts regarding Crystal and its clients on the HAL board??? Why not post them on the Crystal board???

Just so you know, Celebrity ships have a large Greek letter chi on their funnels. Thus many people refer to Celebrity as "X".

AG

Archived