RCCL's response to my question in regards to bringing soda aboard.

icon_confused.gif

Thank you for your inquiry:

Unfortunately, you will not be permitted to bring any beverage nor snack on board of our vessel.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Catherine Wisdom

Customer Service Representative

question-I will be sailing on The Navigator for my honeymoon and want to make sure I can wheel on a cooler with my favorite sodas and snacks?

Navigator of the Seas Honeymoon Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL 2/99

CARNIVAL ECSTASY 3/02

NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS 6/04

If everybody asked for permission first, I doubt if most passengers would try to take their own. As for me, I don't ask...and I don't tell. I just bring. icon_biggrin.gif

Sophie

Counting down the days till we sail the Rhapsody! 12-5-04

I was wondering about that...because I know that the R.C. policy is no outside beverages. I know, I've read the boards about sneaking booze and soda on the ship...and I will admit that I do bring a small bottle or two with me...packed in my suitcase. But lately, I've read about people "wheeling coolers" onto the ship through security and not having any problems. I just can't believe it to be true.

Kimberly

Monarch of the Seas 4/02

Disney Wonder 11/02

Adventure of the Seas 10/03, 3/04

"Girl's Getaway" on Mariner of the Seas 11/7/04 !!

I think Sophie's logic is just perfect. Just like at work, I don't ASK my boss whether I can take a couple weeks off, I TELL him icon_smile.gif What choice does he has? icon_wink.gif

March 28, 2004 - Mariner of the Seas

July 4, 2004 - Sapphire Princess - Alaska

should I risk bringing the rolling cooler? Rolling the cooler full of soda right onto the ship?

Navigator of the Seas Honeymoon Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL 2/99

CARNIVAL ECSTASY 3/02

NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS 6/04

I would give it to the porter to check along with the rest of your suitcases and a nice little tip, it will make it to your room just fine.

Monarch of the Seas 09/92

Majesty of the Seas 11/93,11/95

Sovereign of the Seas 09/94

Grandeur of the Seas 11/99,11/00,06/01,02/02,05/04

Navigator of the Seas 12/02,11/04

Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03

Radiance of the Seas 11/03

I packed two boxes of soda and water for our upcoming cruise. I'm going to send it through with checked bags - with a nce tip to the porter. If they want to confiscate it, they can. I doubt they will.

As far as the roller cooler. Don't pack the sodas in it (pack them) and pack stuff you normally carry on in there. Works great as a carry on and can be converted once you hit the cabin.

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

Trying RC - Rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

May 30, 2004

If you are going to pack soda and water (and liquor I might add) with the stuff to be checked make sure you wrap them in trash bags or something similar in case it breaks or any cans explode. On my last cruise I brought 4 cases of beer on with us (in my luggage) and a few cans did explode, but they were wrapped up so it didn't mess up any of my clothing. I also pack my beach towels around it so it doesn't slide around and can take a few bumps.

HI guys!

I can understand them not wanting us to bring soda or alcohol because then they lose money. BUT...why wouldn't they want us to bring snacks. That would actually SAVE them money!!!!! I am on a special diet and was thinking of bringing some things.

Do you really think they have a "no snack" policy??

Melissa icon_smile.gif

I did pack them inside a heavy duty plastic bag. I didn't wnat any surprises.

They aren't going to say anything about my "Port Snacks" are they? I can't imagine they would. Why would they care if I want to bring my own food?

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

Trying RC - Rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

May 30, 2004

posted 05-18-04 09:52 PM

Thank you for your inquiry:

Unfortunately, you will not be permitted to bring any beverage nor snack on board of our vessel.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

My Reply: *What you don't know won't hurt you*

icon_wink.gif

Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I cant believe it. It seems to be happening once a week, RCI either takes something away or makes a change that takes away from having a great cruise experince. I can hardly take it any more. They end by saying thank you for choosing RCI. Again, this has to be a joke.

This is partial list of some of RCI's changes:

No towels by the pool

Charge $3.95 for burgers and ff

Lunch menu does not change for the entire cruise Eliminated turndown service for the first night

Further elimination of midnight buffets

No water or sodas allowed to be brought on board

fewer selections on menus

Significant increases in spa prices

Significant increases in soda card prices

Increase in speciality restaurant prices

I know I have left off a few other changes

Apparently it is the "written" policy, and has been for a long time, but it is obvious that they do not enforce it at all. Why worry about it? I absolutely will be bringing both soda and water, and I have no concerns about it.

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I'm a Pepsi drinker myself. I can tolerate Coke if I have no choice but really don't enjoy it as much. If they take my few cans of Pepsi, it's no big deal. I'll be out all of maybe $3 to $5.

While it's been a written policy, it also seems that the ships personel take a don't ask, don't tell attitude towards this. I know we've brought bottled water on every cruise so far and never been questioned. We've also brought snacks from ports and never been questioned about those either.

Future cruises

Explorer OTS - Easter Caribbean 11/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Brilliance OTS - Mediteranian 10/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;10;15;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

Don't you think wheeling a cooler is a bit much? I can see bringing a couple 12 packs of your favorite soda or a couple bottles of your favorite wine, but not the cooler. In my opinion, the big cooler is REALLY tacky.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02

Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03

Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03

Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03

Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04

Caribbean Princess ~ 8/14/04

Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

Is this something new? I know I have read on RCI's website that they did allow pop to be brought on board. I can't find it at the moment, but I know I copied and pasted it into a post a few weeks ago.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'til Enchantment of the Seas cruise!!!

We have always taken 2 12pks of pepsi on our cruise, put then right up on metal dector belts, no problem. Also bottle water. We have always been told no liquour but soda is fine.

We will be bringing our own soda on our next cruise, it is all sealed cans, so what is the problem.

till we sail on the Navigator of the Seas!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Just think of it this way: If they said yes bring whatever you what, they would lose a lot of money, instead they say no and just enforce it every once in a while it will scare those people that do everything by the book and it will say under a control. But those that are willing to stretch the rules a little bit can still enjoy there cruise and won't complain.

Festivale 96

Fasination 98

Inspiration 2000

Maasdam 2002

Majesty of the Seas 2003

Adventure of the Seas 2005

When I talked to customer service on the phone she told me that it is okay to bring coke and water onboard just not alcohol. I am wondering where these "information" people are actually getting their info. When I emailed and asked a question about the concierge on the Mariner, the reply was that there is no concierge service on RCCL. I guess the guy I gave the tip to last time was a phantom?

I always interpreted the policy to mean you can't bring stuff they sell. I'm a Pepsi drinker too & will drink water before I break down & have a Coke.

I also wondered if it was a health / customs issue b/c I thought there were regulations about bring food into other countries.

This is what the US Customs web site had to say:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Many fruits and vegetables are either prohibited from entering the United States or require an import permit (for commercial importers) or a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin. Every fruit or vegetable must be declared to a CBP Officer and must be presented for inspection - no matter how free of pests it appears to be. Failure to declare food products can result in a $10,000 fine. See special guidelines for produce from Canada below.

Meats, livestock, poultry, and their products are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States, depending on the animal disease condition in the country of origin. Fresh meat is generally prohibited from most countries. Canned, cured, or dried meat is severely restricted from some countries. You can call the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service, Import Division at (402) 221-7400, to get additional information on the admissibility of meat. See special guidelines for animal products from Canada below.

Bakery items, candy, chocolate, and cured cheese are generally admissible. Canned goods and goods in vacuum packed jars (other than those containing meat or poultry products)are also generally admissible if being imported for personal use.

Dairy items such as milk, yogurt, butter are generally admissible, although this is subject to change, depending on disease outbreaks. Eggs may be admissable, although frequent outbreaks of Exotic Newcastles Disease and avian flu make it very likely that they will be denied entry.

Fish, if it is for your personal use, is generally admissible.

Condiments such as oil, vinegar, mustard, catsup, pickles, syrup, honey, jelly, jam, etc., are generally admissible.

Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada. Fruits and vegetables merely purchased in Canada are not necessarily admissible, ie. citrus or tropical fruits such as mangos, which clearly were not grown in Canada because it does not have a climate that supports those crops. (Potatoes from western regions of Canada are currently restricted because of a disease outbreak. While commercial imports are permitted under stringent guidelines, travelers from Canada should avoid bringing raw potatoes with them into the US)

Currently NO BEEF PRODUCTS FROM CANADA MAY ENTER THE U.S. This includes frozen, cooked, canned or otherwise processed beef. Poultry may not enter the U.S. without a permit from APHIS, effectively, this means no personal use imports will be permitted. Eggs are not admissible from Canada. Hunter harvested game is admissible from Canada for the traveler's personal use if accompanied with a permit. Milk, butter and cured cheeses (Cheddar, etc.)are permitted entry. Lamb may be entered, but not mutton. All such products must be in packages clearly marked with Canada (or the U.S.) as the country of origin. If there is some question as to their country of origin, they will be denied entry. Pet food with poultry or meat by-products is not admissible as traveler's baggage.

Pork and pork products are not admissible from Mexico.

Other then the above general guidelines, it is impossible to advise you in this forum about the admissibility of specific food items because it is so susceptible to change. Disease and pest outbreaks, which impact the admissibility status of fresh and packaged food items, occur all over the world at a moments notice.

Failure to declare all food products can result in civil penalties.

Because CBP inspectors are stationed at ports of entry and along our land and sea borders, they are often called upon to enforce laws and requirements of other government agencies. Because of the complexities of regulations governing the importation of food, CBP officers may need to contact an expert for information about what is or is not admissible. If no expert is available, food may be detained in the interest of preventing possible food-bourne diseases into the U.S. This is done to protect community health, preserve domestic plant and animals life, etc.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture establishes criteria for the admissibility of plant, dairy and meat products returning with travelers and they have the final say about what may be admitted into the U.S. The USDA web site: Click on Travelers' Tips has somewhat more detailed information for travelers, and they can be contacted at 301-734-8896 for information about the admissibility of plant or plant products.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From any cruise line's perspective, I can see why just saying NO is easier.

I also don't understand why anyone would feel the need to bring additional food onto a 24/7 floating all you can eat event.

Trish

Reasonable amounts of soda or water will not be challanged. (a six pack or two) However, the rolling cooler is almost like the poster that wanted to bring on a keg of beer. Be realistic.

Archived