RCCL's response to my question in regards to bringing soda aboard.

I think taking a big cooler is asking for trouble. A small collapsable one would be better. Image the trouble a big cooler would cause by the pool. There's barely enough room to walk.

5 Cruises and counting

Brad,

I quite frankly find it humorous that you're outraged about something that has been written policy for forever.

Why the chicken little attitude every time someone posts something? If you're that upset with RCI, don't cruise with them. Simple as that.

For others who aren't aware, this guys pops up from time to time with his laundry list of "things wrong with RCI" and then freaks people out. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sovereign of the Seas, 2/27/2003

Celebrating my husband's 30th birthday on the Mariner of the Seas, 9/5/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 'til the Mariner!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lmmn:

Don't you think wheeling a cooler is a bit much? I can see bringing a couple 12 packs of your favorite soda or a couple bottles of your favorite wine, but not the cooler. In my opinion, the big cooler is REALLY tacky.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02

Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03

Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03

Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03

Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04

Caribbean Princess ~ 8/14/04

Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps you are misunderstaning the type of wheel on cooler that I used and that I had seen others with. It is a smaller soft sided cooler, holds about 2 cases and has a handle that collapsable. I had thought that we would take it to the pool w/ ice & Water but turns out we just needed our smaller 6 pk soft sided cooler for that. It was the perfect size to hold a "bucket" of coronas and some water.

I don't think most people would have noticed the difference between my cooler carry on and a wheeled duffle bag/carry on.

We need a Holiday...

my travel pics

http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnemaynard

I guess saying "cooler with wheels" brings to mind those huge ones that hold enough food to camp for a week. The one I have is quite small and collapsible. Nothing that would draw attention. I purchased it at a local Dollar General.

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

Trying RC - Rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

May 30, 2004

Hi,

I have posted on here many times that RCCL has always emailed me and given me permission to carry on soda and snacks. That was fact. If it has changed since November, I will find out. Below is part of an email I sent them, (minus my name and etc.), and the return email I received today.

When I get their answer, I will post it.

To: web_reservations@rccl.com

Subject: RE: Soda

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 04:35:21 +0000

To: Subject: Soda

I am cruising on the Empress in Dec. My booking number is XXXXXXX My sail date is Dec. 6, 2004. As a Weight Watcher, I have to have my own type of snacks and soda. May I bring them with me when I board the ship in San Juan?

Thank you for a reply.

XXXXX XXXXXXXX Crown and Anchor #XXXXXXXXX

RCCL’s answer

Thank you for contacting us. We are currently reviewing your request. Once we

have completed our review, we will get back to you with further details.

12/06/04

THE EMPRESS OF THE SEAS. **10 ISLANDS IN 11 NIGHTS**

VISIT OUR ROLL CALL HERE

AdrieneAGD, sorry, but their policy has been no alcohol can be brought onboard. They have always allowed water and sodas until now. I have checked this issue out several times over the years. Hopefully people will take notice of what RCI has changed in the last year. We have long been paid up for the July 15 Jewel. I feel I can have my say up until then. After that, I am taking your recommendation to go elsewhere. Unfortunately I cannot get past these changes, and I will still speak out against them until mid July.

I believe that all the major lines have the same prohibition about bringing beverages onboard. The sale of drinks is a major factor in keeping cruise fares so reasonable. As I've said, it's been in the brochures and travel docs for many years. Not a new policy.

In my opinion....big cooler REALLY tacky...small cooler a little tacky!

Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lmmn:

In my opinion....big cooler REALLY tacky...small cooler a little tacky!

Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I love this place, all opionions can be heard. Bringing a cooler to take with us to the beach was VERY convenient.

We need a Holiday...

my travel pics

http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnemaynard

When we went on the Monarch two years ago it was not a written policy that you could not bring soda on board. There was no mention in the "rules" of anything except liquor so I wrote them and they said soda was fine. I had my TA ask them this time and she was told snacks for the kids and soda was fine to bring onboard but no liquor. Sounds like another case of "keep calling RCCL and you will eventually get the answer you want"...lol

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;7;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until Enchantment of the Seas 07/10/04

I still don't understand the fascination with smuggling aboard items that are readily available on the ship. icon_confused.gif

Kath

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2005;08;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 The big 5-0 cruise!

08/05 - Adventure of the Seas

11/02 - Amsterdam

08/01 - Norwegian Sky

11/99 - Veendam

11/93 - Monarch of the Seas

We sailed on the Navigator in Oct. 2003 and the Grandeur in 2002 and both times we carried on 12-packs of soda. We started doing this after our cruise on the Enchantment, because they were selling soda and bottled water at the cruise terminal that you could but to take on the ship with you. We did not have any problems taking the soda on board with us. We put our snacks and soda in a tote bag, the bag is scanned, just like all carry-on luggage, before we got onto the ship, and no one said anything about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad1185:

No towels by the pool

Charge $3.95 for burgers and ff

Lunch menu does not change for the entire cruise Eliminated turndown service for the first night

Further elimination of midnight buffets

No water or sodas allowed to be brought on board

fewer selections on menus

Significant increases in spa prices

Significant increases in soda card prices

Increase in speciality restaurant prices

I know I have left off a few other changes

AdrieneAGD, sorry, but their policy has been no alcohol can be brought onboard. They have always allowed water and sodas until now. I have checked this issue out several times over the years. Hopefully people will take notice of what RCI has changed in the last year. We have long been paid up for the July 15 Jewel. I feel I can have my say up until then. After that, I am taking your recommendation to go elsewhere. Unfortunately I cannot get past these changes, and I will still speak out against them until mid July.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everybody should have the right to have and to post his own opinion. So do I. Usually I don´t reply to Trolls (my opinion). As there are many first timers here reading I think some of the points mentioned should be set to the right spot.

Yes there have been changes at RCI as on many other places around the world. Are these changes such a big deal? You have to decide by yourself. Nobody is forced to cruise a special line. I for sure don´t like things others like and vice versa. I´m sure there are better cruise lines out there then RCI but also many that are worse.

Let me reply to some of the mentioned.

No towels by the pool. -> Wrong! You get pool towels from your cabin stewart (as much as you like). You can change them whenever you want at the pool or in your room. You don´t have your towel when going to the pool. No problem there are plenty of them provided. You just have to sign fro them and sign out when bringing them back. Same as in most hotels. No hassle. Many times even not forced by the crew and you get them without signing. So WOW what a big change.

-->Wrong!

There is no charge for burgers and fries, these are available for free like used to. It´s a charge for one single location, Jonny Rockets, on some ships of the fleet. All other locations on the ship you get them still for free. (BTW Brad the Jewel has no JR, so why worry?)

No Change in Lunch menu

--> This has been reported from the short cruises so far, but even if it´s on all cruises, decide by yourself if it´s a big deal. I rarely eat lunch at the DR. Port days I´m mostly on excursions during lunch time. Sea days I have choice between, Windjammer, DR, room service, Pizza/Burger/Hot Dog station and different from ship to ship other locations. Even with seven sea days enough choices to get different food every day.

Eliminated Turn down service on first night.

--> From what is posted on this board this semms to be a single incident on one cruise. Most people coming back reported to have had turn down service the first night.

Further elimination of midnight buffets.

--> Usually they have something else instead and to be honest most of the midnight buffets are not very well visited. Most of the food gets into the garbage. What a waste.

Water / Soda is already discussed on this thread, don´t want to repeat.

Fewer selection on menus.

The menus from recent cruisers back that have been posted I can´t verify this.

Price increases ....

Well the prices increase everywhere on land and on sea. OK I don´t like it but well the locations mentioned I have the choice to use or not it won´t effect my cruise experience if I don´t.

I can afford a cruise so I can afford to buy a soda on board.

To all people on this board (except Brad1185) I apologize for getting a bit nasty now upfront.

Brad, I´m glad you decided to leave RCI. I think we should put on a counter until mid July to count the days until we get rid of you and your mostly wrong comments.

As I said everyone his own opinion but stay with the facts that are true!!!

Carnival TRIED to enforce a no outside soda and water rule but there was a "revolution" from those who were upset with the fact that they should be able to bring their beverage of choice. Mine is Pepsi - I won't drink Coke and my kids like Gatorade - so I takes bottles for them since it's better then soda. I don't think they are going to go broke because I brought my own soda.

I guess I COULD send my collapsible cooler through with my checked bags so it won't look "tacky" but I prefer to keep it in one piece - Have you seen how they throw that luggage around?

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

Trying RC - Rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

May 30, 2004

This may sound crazy but I can tell the difference between the different brands of bottled water and I'm bringing my favorite local brand from home. As far as bringing soda, I can understand them not wanting that brought. But what's the difference if you spent the whole trip drinking the "free" beverages and not buying a single soda?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
until 5/24/04 Sovereign of the Seas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad1185:
I cant believe it. It seems to be happening once a week, RCI either takes something away or makes a change that takes away from having a great cruise experince. I can hardly take it any more. They end by saying thank you for choosing RCI. Again, this has to be a joke.

This is partial list of some of RCI's changes:

No towels by the pool
Lunch menu does not change for the entire cruise Eliminated turndown service for the first night
I know I have left off a few other changes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The other thing that has changed is the prices of the cruises. If the quality returns when the prices return, I won't mind. But I DO understand that they need to be able to show some sort of profit. That is why they are in business. If they can't get it in cruise fare, they need to try other ways.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!
My gif kitties have gone to cyber heaven so that dial up cruisers don't have a problem getting their posts read.

I have often taken a small collapsable cooler with me in my checked luggage along with two twelve packs and some pringles(they seem to travel pretty well). The cooler comes in Very handy in Bermuda when we can walk to the beach from St. George. I usually take a few pieces of fruit from the buffet and pick up whatever else we want at the little store in town on our way to the beach. I can't imagine that the cruise line is going to search all that baggage for sodas and snacks. I'm just happy if they have a dog sniffing for bombs.

I just received my RCCl'S documents and it states.

"Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to limit or refuse to allow alchoholic beverages to be brought aboard the ship for consumption during the cruise vacacation."

It doesn't say ANYTHING about soda or snacks.

Teri

Well, just to add another perspective, we bring soda aboard because my father-in-law is a diabetic, and drinking only diet coke or sprite gets a little boring. With store brands, you can get diet grape, rootbeer, etc.
The reason we bring reg sodas is because, frankly paying $42 US or for us $ 63 CAD (card price) per person for a week is an obscene amount of money for only soda. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] Last year we paid $22 US for a card on Princess, and that was far more reasonable. Driving up the price of soda cards contributes to the "bringing of your own".

AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhh...... I feel better now [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Blessed are the FLEXIBLE for they shall never be bent out of shape"

Vision / Seas 03/2002
Star Princess 03/2003
Radiance / Seas 07/2004

Thanks tluves2talk, I was going to have to look that up, since a few apparently did not read the small print on RCI's beverage policy.

The countdown clock is 50 days since we are leaving on July 9th. I will have to report my final comments when we return on the 27th.

CTKath, I don't understand this insistance in calling it "smuggling."

We brought on club soda and diet soda in duffles--we DID NOT smuggle it or make any attempt to disguise it. We also brought on several bottles of our favorite wines (we have friends who are vintners). I called in advance and was told that we MIGHT be able to bring on the 6 bottles (this is total for 2 cabins), but that it might be held until the final night. Apparently, it depends on the ship, the crew, and the ports. We had no problems. We happily paid the corkage fee to take a bottle to dinner (they only charged us once) and drank the rest in our cabins (specifically, on our balconies). Again, no "smuggling" involved. We checked our 2 small airline-approved wine boxes with the rest or our luggage. It was delivered to our cabin the first day. We ordered mixed drinks throughout the ship and paid the fee to take 1 bottle of rum to our cabins.

How can you call it smuggling when the cruiseline allows it to be brought onboard?

In answer the the statement that things are readily available on the ship, dh and I both drink plain club soda as a main beverage. It is not convenient to go to a bar every time we want a glass in the cabin. So we bring enough to have in the cabin and buy soda stickers for use throughout the ship. Also, we, like many others, don't want to pay $1.5 or more for a can of diet coke. RCI allows it to be carried onboard. If they don't have a problem with it, why should you?

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]beachchick

This is partial list of some of RCI's changes:

No towels by the pool
I know I have left off a few other changes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got off the Navigator 2 weeks ago. Here are some corrections:

There were towels by the pool
There was turndown service the first night
There were 2 midnight buffets, which I missed because I was still stuffed from dinner

I packed a 12 pack of diet ginger ale, 12 pack of bottled water, and 3 bottles of wine in a couple suitcases (wrapped VERY well with plastic, bubble wrap, bottle crates for the wine and towels and all inside a heavy duty garbage bag. These pieces were checked luggage and I had no problems.

The two of us carried on 2 bottles of champagne EACH, and wrapped in bubble wrap, with no problem.

I was worried too, but had no issues, thankfully. Don't wheel in your soda and snacks, just pack them and check them in.

However, regarding snacks, I don't know why you'd need to pack snacks. THere is SO MUCH food offered it's total gluttony. Low fat, low carb, it doesn't matter. You can find something that suits you. Don't waste your time or space with snacks.

Navigator of the Seas 5/04

Archived