Need help

Sue L

Hi Sue - Kirk and I have been on 4 celebrity cruises, Century, Millenium, Infinity and a quick Solistic and while we are going again on the Century for a two nighter - I would stick with RCCL, there is so much more activities. I don't know your age but a few years ago we were in our early 50's and we were the youngest on the ship. It is to sedate for us. I can't imagine paying for a cruise on Celebrity for a week verus RCCL. If you are getting a good deal and you have plenty of vacation time - try it but if vacation is limited and you are paying full fare - Us we would stick with RCCL. Hope this helps!

We love Celebrity ... and while we like sailing on RCI, X is really our cruiseline of choice.

We're in our late 40s and just find it's a better fit for us. We never attend the pool games, Quest or Love & Marriage ... we're more into a bit more sedate experience. We like the Martini flights, trivia, and different opportunities to listen to live music.

Both DH & I feel the food is a step above on X, especially in the specialty restaurants.

The service is different from RCCI. It's very attentive, but a bit "quieter". Your room steward isn't likely to visit with you much, but they'll almost invisibly take care of business.

We haven't sailed on Equinox or Solstice, but on the M class ships and Century. If you swing over to the X board and ask the same question you'll get lots of good feedback.

Hope this helps!

Sue......when are you going?? We would love to try the Equinox class ships. Have cruised on Celebrity 7 or 8 times, and love the service.

Have been sticking with RCL for the past couple of years just to try to get close to the 100 mark, and we are nearing 80 now.

We have been so spoiled by the butler service on Celebrity, that we don't have in the RS or OS's on RCCL, we miss it, but the price we are paying for the high end suites right now are the best bet for our money!!:)

Rick

Sue......when are you going?? We would love to try the Equinox class ships. Have cruised on Celebrity 7 or 8 times, and love the service.

Have been sticking with RCL for the past couple of years just to try to get close to the 100 mark, and we are nearing 80 now.

We have been so spoiled by the butler service on Celebrity, that we don't have in the RS or OS's on RCCL, we miss it, but the price we are paying for the high end suites right now are the best bet for our money!!:)

Rick

thinking of next Sept, yes I know peak hurricane season, but I like to live dangerously. :rolleyes: Now looking at Solistice

Her sister Solstice is a beautiful ship. Things are so much more personal and refined on Celebrity. While I am all about the family market having a six year old, we personally really like what Celebrity has to offer.

The glass show is something not to be missed and the ship itself has so many thoughtful touches. Storage in the staterooms can be a bit of a hassle unless the have completely moved the safes out of the closet.

Enjoy her.

thinking of next Sept, yes I know peak hurricane season, but I like to live dangerously. :rolleyes: Now looking at Solistice

Not really. We have 5 timeshares in Cancun, and use them at the end of October and the beginning of November, just when the hurricane season is supposed to be over. We have had to leave a couple of times because of hurricanes........but look at this year, when most of the hurricanes were on the Pacific side!

September is a great time to cruise!!

Rick

Not really. We have 5 timeshares in Cancun, and use them at the end of October and the beginning of November, just when the hurricane season is supposed to be over. We have had to leave a couple of times because of hurricanes........but look at this year, when most of the hurricanes were on the Pacific side!

Rick

Yeah I love to travel when the kids are in school, no flames, have two of my own but been there done that. :D

Hi all,

looking at Celebrity in 2010, any advice, I know many on here sail both so that is why I am asking here. Looking at the Equinox if that matters.

Sue, we love Celebrity also. We are in our early 50's also and we just enjoy the whole experience of Celebrity more than RCCL. Don't get me wrong I love RCCL but Celebrity is a step above RCCL.

Rick

Don't you know we were so glad for a slow hurricane season this Summer.

We plan to check out X as well. I have to get input from you Rick about the butler service.

thanks for all the advice everyone.

Ok booked a 1A on the hump for this cruise, woo hoo, we have been to all the ports many times so running off will not be necessary unless the mood strikes us. Looking forward to a new experience.

Hi Sue - I sailed Solstice about a year ago and really enjoyed it. It was my third X cruise. Solstice is a unique and beautiful ship. None of the RCI "bells and whistles" as you know, but beautiful nonetheless. Service was very good. Food as above average.

I sailed Eurodam in October and would rank her above X, especially foodwise.

Have a great time.

Hi Sue - I sailed Solstice about a year ago and really enjoyed it. It was my third X cruise. Solstice is a unique and beautiful ship. None of the RCI "bells and whistles" as you know, but beautiful nonetheless. Service was very good. Food as above average.

I sailed Eurodam in October and would rank her above X, especially foodwise.

Have a great time.

Hey how are you, haven't seen you around in a while? I don't care about rock climbing or any of the other bells and have been dying to try this class since it came out but I was not happy with the itineraries. I just did my 25th anniversary cruise on the Brilliance and it was wonderful. After going to sleep in Venice and waking up there again the next morning any cruise is going to be hard to beat.

Hey how are you, haven't seen you around in a while? I don't care about rock climbing or any of the other bells and have been dying to try this class since it came out but I was not happy with the itineraries. I just did my 25th anniversary cruise on the Brilliance and it was wonderful. After going to sleep in Venice and waking up there again the next morning any cruise is going to be hard to beat.

Hi - I'm great; thanks for asking. I don't hang here too often; too much bickering over nothing for my taste. :rolleyes: You're right about the itineraries. I did the Eastern one and it was very average. Used the stop in Tortola to go to the Baths in Virgin Gorda, which I had never been to.

Here are the comments I posted to CC:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=904815

Congrats on your anniversary. That Brilliance cruise is the best thing going IMO.

Sue L - When you get back (almost a year from now!:rolleyes:) Please post on your experience on Celebrity.

Our next cruise will be a 7 day on the Radiance when she comes back to FL - love that ship. But I really want to try the Solstice in 2011 if she's still doing the same itineraries. (hurricaine season - 38th anniversary).

Thanks, Jan

thanks for all the advice, a CC c2 opened up on the hump so I grabbed it, it is only a $142 more so VERY worth it for the 2 points alone. I am really excited. I haven't been to the Caribbean on a cruise for a couple of years so looking forward to it.

thanks for all the advice, a CC c2 opened up on the hump so I grabbed it, it is only a $142 more so VERY worth it for the 2 points alone. I am really excited. I haven't been to the Caribbean on a cruise for a couple of years so looking forward to it.

We really like CC cabins and you get that extra point.

Laura

I know how you feel, Sue. I consider the Brilliance and our days in Venice one of the best cruise experiences we've had.................until we went to Australia. Put that on your bucket list. The airfare is the only thing that's a deal killer, and that can be managed with some careful planning. The Rhapsody has some unusual and great itineraries.

Anyway, back to the topic: we love Celebrity, too. We've been on the Horizon and Connie in the Caribbean, and the Millie in Europe. I found the Millie to be very elegant, so I'm sure the Solstice will top that. The experience overall was great, and we both liked the buffet on the Millie to be much better that RCCL's Windjammer. DH loved the pasta station; I loved the homemade ice cream station. I noticed that RCCL on the Rhapsody last month, has also started a pasta station in the 'Jammer.

I know how you feel, Sue. I consider the Brilliance and our days in Venice one of the best cruise experiences we've had.................until we went to Australia. Put that on your bucket list. The airfare is the only thing that's a deal killer, and that can be managed with some careful planning. The Rhapsody has some unusual and great itineraries.

Anyway, back to the topic: we love Celebrity, too. We've been on the Horizon and Connie in the Caribbean, and the Millie in Europe. I found the Millie to be very elegant, so I'm sure the Solstice will top that. The experience overall was great, and we both liked the buffet on the Millie to be much better that RCCL's Windjammer. DH loved the pasta station; I loved the homemade ice cream station. I noticed that RCCL on the Rhapsody last month, has also started a pasta station in the 'Jammer.

Hey thanks for the advice, I have been to Australia several times and New Zealand once on land trips. There are very few places I haven't been, used to work for Pan Am. LOL and I flew everywhere first class....and FREE. Boy do I miss that.

One big difference on Celebrity Solstice is in the Oceanview Cafe. There are these panels along the walls separating the seating area from the food stations. They go up about five feet or so and have opaque panels in parts of them. It can make finding your partner a bit of a challenge when one has gone to find a seat while the other is waiting on an omelet or something else.

Hey thanks for the advice, I have been to Australia several times and New Zealand once on land trips. There are very few places I haven't been, used to work for Pan Am. LOL and I flew everywhere first class....and FREE. Boy do I miss that.

Have you cruised to Australia? The repositioning cruises are like 3 vacations in one: Hawaii pre-cruise, sailing there is like a Transatlantic with the sea days, and then Australia. Reverse for April/May.

I hope you enjoy the new X ship; I'm also looking forward to hearing about it. Like the Oasis, I'll wait for the prices to come down a little before I go. The ship is secondary to the itinerary for us, so a lower price for the ship would work better for us if we've been on the itinerary before.

I know what you mean about going back to the Caribbean. We did that for our anniversary this year, and it was nice to do the ports again after not being there for a few years.

Have you cruised to Australia? The repositioning cruises are like 3 vacations in one: Hawaii pre-cruise, sailing there is like a Transatlantic with the sea days, and then Australia. Reverse for April/May.

I hope you enjoy the new X ship; I'm also looking forward to hearing about it. Like the Oasis, I'll wait for the prices to come down a little before I go. The ship is secondary to the itinerary for us, so a lower price for the ship would work better for us if we've been on the itinerary before.

I know what you mean about going back to the Caribbean. We did that for our anniversary this year, and it was nice to do the ports again after not being there for a few years.

No, never cruised there, but will have to wait until I retire as I would want to do like a 28 day cruise to hit Fiji and Bora Bora, etc. I have been to Fiji but hubby hasn't.

Archived