Elemis Product sizes

Krazy Kruizers

Even though we don't use the Elemis shampoo and conditioner, I did notice that we had 2 different type of bottles. The bottles appear to be the same -- only the new ones are a clear plastic. But upon futher investigation I discovered that the new bottles are thicker and now contain only 1.4 fluid ounces instead of 1.7 fluid ounces.

Also the new zest cleansing bar soap is smaller -- 25 grams or 0.9 ounces.

I wasn't sure about citrus soap if it is smaller -- size is listed as 40 grams or 1.4 ounces.

If they were serious about their "commitment to the environment," they would make the shampoo and conditioner (and probably the lotion and bath gel) in larger, 1-week sizes rather than those that last a day or two. They would be using (and disposing of) fewer bottles.

If they were serious about their "commitment to the environment," they would make the shampoo and conditioner (and probably the lotion and bath gel) in larger, 1-week sizes rather than those that last a day or two. They would be using (and disposing of) fewer bottles.

If they followed that line of thinking, they would have the permanent dispensers for liquid soap/shampoo in the showers like some of the European hotels I have stayed in, and then you'd really see an uproar on this board. I'm pretty easy going on this... as long as it doesn't make me sneeze, I'll use it. If it does, I'll bring my own.

Here is a link to a great article on CNN that explains what Holland America does with all that left over shampoo and conditioner.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/03/01/ship.to.shelter/index.html

I enjoyed reading it very much!

they would make the shampoo and conditioner (and probably the lotion and bath gel) in larger, 1-week sizes rather than those that last a day or two.

We find that the bottles HAL provides are more than sufficient for a week. Please don't assume that your needs are everyone's. And if you are committed to minimizing impact on the environment, you can always bring your own stuff in regular-sized bottles, and not use HAL's.

While it's admirable that HAL is donating the unused product to shelters, once it's used there, the empty bottles will still end up in a landfill. Unless they are recyclable? And are actually then sent to a recycling center? That wasn't addressed in the CNN article.

While I do enjoy the Elemis products myself, I'll admit to collecting hotel toiletries (especially nice ones). I like putting them out for my own guests. :)

I always come home with a bar of soap or small bottle of shampoo either from a ship or hotel stay. :o

I enjoy the Elemis products when on the ships and can say I've never bothered to read number of ounces in any given bottle or bar of soap. I use what is given us and when it is used up, our stewards have always replaced with fresh product.

I also like that HAL donates those toiletry products and applaud them for doing so.

Archived