Just adding a few more thoughts about THE Announcement

California Native

I've been doing a little research to see if someone somewhere spilled the beans...

and this is what I found...

A cruisecritc editor tweeted on twitter posted this...

RT @CruiseEditor: Great meeting today w/ Azamara Prez Larry pimentel, major changes afoot. Hint: floating hotels. Land-based cruises. Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:53:27 +0000

Just a few things to think about...

Mr. Pimental recently came from SeaDream

they include...

open bar, tips and pride themselves that they offer

over nights in many ports to allow for cruisers to take advantage of the nightlife

this ties in with what the CruiseCritic Editor tweeted and the rumors we have been hearing about all inclusive alcohol

also on Dec 3rd Larry speaks at this conference ...

the topic is how to sell up in a down market

Interesting timing of the topic ...

http://lt.goexposoftware.com/2009/goExpo/user/listSeminars.php

Also, I forgot to add ..

some of the cruisers returning from the Holy Land this year indicated that it was mentioned onboard by AZ staff that Alexandria might become an overnight and Port Said dropped.

This would support what was in the twitter post by the cruisecritic editor

I asked AZ about this and they became very elusive and said any itinerary changes would be announced on Dec 8th

I didn't post in the other thread because it was an alcohol based thread....

Just a few things to think about...

Mr. Pimental recently came from SeaDream

they include...

open bar, tips and pride themselves that they offer

over nights in many ports to allow for cruisers to take advantage of the nightlife

As far as the overnights in ports, Azamara was already going in this direction, at least in Asia. We initially hesitated on the Asia cruise we are going on in 2010 because it is 14 night cruise with only 4 ports between the first and last. Yes, that is on a 14 night cruise. We do have an overnight on the first night and last night, which I like, in both Hong Kong and Singapore. We are taking advantage of an overnight to go to Angkor Wat and meet up at the next port where there are 2 nights in Bangkok. We needed this cushion in order to leave the ship overnight.

Apparently being like a land hotel means long port stays. It will work in some locations, not all.

This is very different than our East and West Med cruises from Rome where in total we had 15 port stops.

As far as the pre-paid gratuities, Azamara was offering them to everyone for several months earlier this year. Some people book through a TA and get these paid. So the only ad-in for the higher prices for us would be the drinks.

The bottom line for us to pay a huge increase will be the itineraries. They will have to be very unique for us to pay a premium.

Hi, I'm new to forum chats and not sure what SOP and some other abbreviations stand for. Would like help! We are booked on May 15, Quest Best of Italy with 3 overnight ports. Its what attracted us to this itinerary --spending more time in ports that offer varied opportunities, i.e., Sorrento, plus seeing Pompeii, Almalfi coast, Capri, etc. What do you think would be offered to enhance overnight ports? More personal, intimate type tours, or some special dinner events or evening events in port??? Starting to wonder if AZ will come up with more tantalizing perks. Guess we'll know on 12/08.

Jan

Hi, I'm new to forum chats and not sure what SOP and some other abbreviations stand for. Would like help! We are booked on May 15, Quest Best of Italy with 3 overnight ports. Its what attracted us to this itinerary --spending more time in ports that offer varied opportunities, i.e., Sorrento, plus seeing Pompeii, Almalfi coast, Capri, etc. What do you think would be offered to enhance overnight ports? More personal, intimate type tours, or some special dinner events or evening events in port??? Starting to wonder if AZ will come up with more tantalizing perks. Guess we'll know on 12/08.

Jan

SOP usually means "standard operating procedure". Not sure if that's what where2next meant, though.

And if tips included was the case, would we still be expected to leave $5 in the specialty restaurants? If not some people would eat there every night.

I think tomorrow I'll just put up the deposit on a Caribbean cruise for next Dec., see what the big announcement is, and cancel if I don't like it. The bill won't even show up on my credit card as the charge and credit will be in the same billing cycle. No cost to me, just to AZ for having to process a charge and credit, 2.5% on each transaction out of their pocket not mine.

The Best of Italy in May had a number of overnights in Port and made the trip very enjoyable. The Holyland Tour in October was extremely tiring due to 4 very long days in Egypt and Israel and it was suggested an overnight would be more beneficial. Although port intensive cruises are very enjoyable, for many a little extra time overnight in port makes the experience more pleasurable and less tiring.

If alcohol becomes inclusive it would not be a reason for me to book, the ports of call and possibly included shore excursions would be more appealing. Indeed I have a Regent trip booked for that reason.

As to putting a deposit to hold a cruise until the last minute this distorts the price/availability, perhaps equality for residents outside of America would encourage others to cruise with AZ.

Pre-paid tips and other perks have never been offered to UK residents, I have always paid for ours in advance.

Whatever they decide I hope it will be balanced and if they must increase prices take note that they are not 6 star but a good quality product at a good price, which is why there are so many who return time after time.

For us 3 trips in a year and another in 2010.

As to perks we don't select a cruise on the basis of a few dollars off the laundry!

Archived