Teens and Alaska with HAL or Princess

WisconsinFan

Hi,

We will be going to Alaska with either HAL or Princess to celebrate a 50th and 25 wedding anniversary. We will have with us at the time a 17 year old boy, a 14 year old girl and two 12 year old boys. The adults include a couple who have never cruised. My parents (HAL primarily, but also Royal) and us (Disney and Royal).

I understand HAL and Princess will both have kids programing...tell us more about these lines and the Alaska experience.

I suggest you post WHAT route you are considering?? Especially with a round trip Seattle, HAL is superior with Glacier Bay and Sitka on some itineraries. One way, I give a BIG edge to HAL, for the Seward port. But it depends on you including it in your touring- otherwise IT won't matter. :)

So, my take is to look past a "cruise" line and instead, look what Alaska can offer you, and what your priorities are, then find the cruise.

Thanks for the info. The reason we are looking at these two lines are that they are allowed into Glacier's Bay and we really want to do that. Then we want to have things that will keep three teenage boys happy (and one teen girl). Is it true HAL has soda "punch cards" and not a package?

A can of soda is $1.95 + 15% service charge, or $2.24 total.

You can purchase a soda card good for 20 sodas for $20.73. Those sodas are about 1/2 can, so there is a slight savings over the per can price.

I am sailing with two teens next May so this is a question I already asked;)

The reason we are looking at these two lines are that they are allowed into Glacier's Bay and we really want to do that. Then we want to have things that will keep three teenage boys happy (and one teen girl).

While DW likes the classic decor of HAL, I much prefer the "lightness" and generally more fun feeling of lines such as RCI and Princess.

Thanks for the info. The reason we are looking at these two lines are that they are allowed into Glacier's Bay and we really want to do that. Then we want to have things that will keep three teenage boys happy (and one teen girl). Is it true HAL has soda "punch cards" and not a package?

I have heard that HAL has the soda punch card, which we are trying to wrap our heads around for our cruise next summer with them. We are so used to the way Princess does it which is so easy. The Princess soda program is for unlimited sodas at a cost of $4.25 per day plus 15% gratuity. For $9 per day plus gratuity they offer the Ultimate program that includes sodas, juices, mocktails, milkshakes, hot chocolate, and canned root beer.

quote "Thanks for the info. The reason we are looking at these two lines are that they are allowed into Glacier's Bay and we really want to do that. Then we want to have things that will keep three teenage boys happy (and one teen girl)."

What route are you looking at??? NCL does Glacier Bay on the Pearl, round trip Seattle. For significant soda savings bring your own case on board. I'd still suggest you "keep the kids" happy in port- plenty to occupy their time, with some fantastic touring opportunities, be certain to involve them in the decisions.

Archived