How far is the airport in Fort Lauderdale from the pier?

Luvs2roam

Looking for air and found a flight leaving FLL airport at 10:25 am.

Obviously it's completely up to you, but I think you're cutting it too close. If it were me, I think I'd be stressed my entire cruise wondering about making this flight. For domestic flights, don't you have to check in at least 60 minutes prior? That would need to put you at the airport before 9:30.

Yes you can self-disembark, but what if there is a delay for some reason? Ships are usually on time and some even early, but that doesn't mean yours will be. Personally, I think you should book a later flight, plan for the worst, and hope for the best. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Infinity in Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday and had a flight at 9:45 am. There were 6 ships in port. Our ship was due to arrive at 7 am and we arrived a little before that. We were supposed to clear the ship by 7:30 but were delayed until 7:45. We self-disembarked and carried all our luggage off. Immigration wasn't ready for us--took a few minutes to set everything up. There were only 3 cabs outside and we grabbed the first one. We did make it to FLL by 8:05 am but wasn't sure what happened to those who didn't catch one of the first 3 cabs.

We each had only one carry-on so it was easy to carry our luggage off. We saw some poor people trying to maneuver very large suitcases that they could barely handle.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my FIL's flight information. He is scheduled to depart at 8:45AM. Before I call and tell him he'll never make it, I just want to be sure that you are in agreement. The Emerald is scheduled to arrrive at 0700, so we told him the earliest flight he should book would be around 10. Right?, which is obvious he either didn't hear me (he is 85 after all) or just assumed that I was being OCD since our flight isn't out until noon.

Thanks,

Robyn

Just received my FIL's flight information. He is scheduled to depart at 8:45AM....

WAY too early! The ship could be delayed for any number of reasons, or if she does dock on time, Customs and Immigration could delay things. It's just absolutely, positively, without a doubt too early of a flight. *I* wouldn't want a flight earlier than 11, but that's me. It's way too much stress on my vacation.

I am in the same boat. I have a flight at 1150am on Southwest Airlines (Sunday). A lot of people motivated me that I would be fine but after reading delays and problems. I am not so sure anymore. We are due to arrive back at FLL at 8am. With self assist (Carnival), do you guys think I will make it?

I am in the same boat. I have a flight at 1150am on Southwest Airlines (Sunday). A lot of people motivated me that I would be fine but after reading delays and problems. I am not so sure anymore. We are due to arrive back at FLL at 8am. With self assist (Carnival), do you guys think I will make it?

Nevermind, I just called Southwest Airlines and they have a 2 hour policy. As long as you are in the airport - they will rebook you standby on another flight (given seats). This makes me feel a lot better.

Don't sweat it, you'll be fine ;)

they will rebook you standby on another flight (given seats). This makes me feel a lot better.

However, flights out of Florida on cruiseship days are FULL. Your "standby" may not be for 2 days later. If you are traveling with others, don't expect to sit together.

However, flights out of Florida on cruiseship days are FULL. Your "standby" may not be for 2 days later. If you are traveling with others, don't expect to sit together.

Thanks for bringing my high down, lol. I am actually traveling solo. I am not going to worry about it, just wait and see.

If you are just going to WDW, I'd cancel the air (if refund or credit for future flight is possible), rent a car & drive. You'll get there much quicker than waiting in the airport + flight. Plus you avoid the lost baggage possibility! Big bonus is you can have a nice lunch instead of eating airplane food - oops, we don't even get lousy airplane food any more do we!

We sail out of Ft. Lauderdale on our upcoming cruise, but best flights (time, price, nonstop) are to Orlando. So we are just renting a car & driving from Orlando to our Ft. Lauderdale hotel. Will have a car for dining, siteseing, & can drop it off at FLL. We got Avis full size for $58.

If you are just going to WDW, I'd cancel the air (if refund or credit for future flight is possible), rent a car & drive. You'll get there much quicker than waiting in the airport + flight. Plus you avoid the lost baggage possibility! Big bonus is you can have a nice lunch instead of eating airplane food - oops, we don't even get lousy airplane food any more do we!

We sail out of Ft. Lauderdale on our upcoming cruise, but best flights (time, price, nonstop) are to Orlando. So we are just renting a car & driving from Orlando to our Ft. Lauderdale hotel. Will have a car for dining, siteseing, & can drop it off at FLL. We got Avis full size for $58.

Newlife, I Agree! Go on Avis dot com, sign up to be a Preferred customer, fill out your info on line. Take the Avis shuttle to the airport where you'll pick up your car and drive to Orlando.

Edit: Sorry, this thread has gotten away from the OP's original question.

Newlife, I Agree! Go on Avis dot com, sign up to be a Preferred customer, fill out your info on line. Take the Avis shuttle to the airport where you'll pick up your car and drive to Orlando.

Edit: Sorry, this thread has gotten away from the OP's original question.

Actually my flight on Southwest was only $49. Plus Disney Magical Express will pick up my luggage from the airport and deliver it to my resort (POP Century). Further, I can take Disney Magical Express from MCO to POP free of charge.

Actually my flight on Southwest was only $49. Plus Disney Magical Express will pick up my luggage from the airport and deliver it to my resort (POP Century). Further, I can take Disney Magical Express from MCO to POP free of charge.

btw - thanks for the info. I may do this on a future cruise

We disembarked in FLL from HAL Eurodam on Dec 12. This was also the end of the first 7 night voyage of the Oasis of the Seas in the same port. Fearing a madhouse at the port and airport, I booked a late afternoon (2 pm) departure on Airtran, which they later cancelled and put us on a 330 pm flight. We left our stateroom at the appointed time (830am), picked up our luggage, breezed though customs, walked out the door and immediately into a waiting taxi. We were inside the FLL airport by 9am, talking with an agent at the ticket counter attempting to get on an earlier flight. Didn't happen, they were all overbooked, so we ended up doing a lot of people watching that day in the airport. I know things always don't go this smoothly-one never knows. I can only speak about the day we were there.

• 3 weeks later...

We've got a 10:43am option out of FLL. We're scheduled to arrive at 7am on Independence. We can try and carry off our luggage. Assuming we were able to carry off luggage, what are the chances we make a 10:43? The price and time difference are significant for us to get home (5 hours and $200pp).

Archived