Taxes and Fees -- NCL/RCCL

AirGorilla

Hi Folks --

I'm posting this on both boards, so I hope I can find someone who can help me out with my question. I am looking at taking a three day Bahamas cruise on 1/15/10. I'm looking at the websites for both lines.

The two cruises have many similarities:

(a) Both leave from, and return to, Miami.

(b) Both spend a day in Nassau.

© Both spend a day at their private islands, which are within eyesight of one another.

With these similarities in mind, can someone please explain to me why there is a large discrepancy in the "Government taxes and fees?" For two people in an outside cabin, NCL charges $398 in cruise fare, then adds $157.14 in taxes/fees. On the other hand, RCCL charges $438 in cruise fare, but only adds $97.84 in taxes/fees. The bottom line is that RCCL is actually less expensive, $535.84 vs. $555.14.

How can the taxes/fees be so different between the two lines, when the cruises are so similar in their itineraries?

Thanks for all your insights,

AG

Hi Folks --

I'm posting this on both boards, so I hope I can find someone who can help me out with my question. I am looking at taking a three day Bahamas cruise on 1/15/10. I'm looking at the websites for both lines.

© Both spend a day at their private islands, which are within eyesight of one another.

With these similarities in mind, can someone please explain to me why there is a large discrepancy in the "Government taxes and fees?" For two people in an outside cabin, NCL charges $398 in cruise fare, then adds $157.14 in taxes/fees. On the other hand, RCCL charges $438 in cruise fare, but only adds $97.84 in taxes/fees. The bottom line is that RCCL is actually less expensive, $535.84 vs. $555.14.

How can the taxes/fees be so different between the two lines, when the cruises are so similar in their itineraries?

AG

When I do the same booking, Inside Guarantee... I see price of $159 pp on NCL, with $78.57 of taxes & fees for a total pp of $237.57

$475.14 for a couple.

On RCCL, the cruise fare is $209 pp, with taxes & fees of $61 for a total of $270 pp or $540 for a couple.

The discrepancy is probably in the "fees", not in the taxes.... could be a more expensive berthing fee if the dock is closer to the terminal?

When I do the same booking, Inside Guarantee... I see price of $159 pp on NCL, with $78.57 of taxes & fees for a total pp of $237.57

$475.14 for a couple.

On RCCL, the cruise fare is $209 pp, with taxes & fees of $61 for a total of $270 pp or $540 for a couple.

The discrepancy is probably in the "fees", not in the taxes.... could be a more expensive berthing fee if the dock is closer to the terminal?

also since fees include pilotage and other docking charges some of which are per ship and not per person, different companies calculate these fees differently and can be higher or lower depending on the number of people anticipated on the ship. No cruise line will tell you exactly how they do it. The best thing to do is calculate total fare and not worry about how they split it out differently because it can and will drive you crazy if you worry about it too much.

And of course, the cruise line can charge whatever they feel like charging. They can add a surcharge for handling. They can add a fee for water or electricity or phone lines provided by the ports. They can add a sunny day surcharge.

Totally up to whatever they want to do.

Hi Folks --

AG

It is impossible to explain. The "taxes and fees" are really non-commissionable parts of the fare. Each lines splits out different things differently so there is no way to compare them and no reason to try. Just look at the total that you will pay when deciding which to book.

$475.14 for a couple.

These were not Inside Guarantee bookings, they were Outside Staterooms, with specific room assignments.

You're probably correct that the "fees" are what is different.

Thanks,

AG

Archived