Pier House

herbnjod

Thanks for the replies, it sure sounds nice and Patricia working reservations has been very helpful and a joy to deal with. Clay, if you tell me where local watering hole is, I'll buy you a drink in July (24th - 26th) !!!!

• 1 month later...

We stayed at the Pier House in 1995...I guess I hadn't done enough research on Key West because we were very, very disapointed in that the beach is very small and man made. The hotel itself is beautiful but very expensive. Key West in general is very expensive (in my opinion). If I was going again, I would stay at a guest house or some place where there was a studio or efficiency and it would be only for a few days. We're sailing the Glory in early April and looking forward to going back!

mnsawyer,

You're probably right -- a guest house would have more atmosphere and would probably be less expensive. But I don't know about beaches; in my recollection most of the places in Key West don't have much of a beach, do they? Surprisingly little beach for so much water.

Thank you for everyones input. I realize that the Pier House may seem pricey, but since it is our (my wife and I) annual vacation while the kids are in camp for a month, I chose it. It seems to cater to adults, and while I love children (especially mine), I also love spending time alone with my wife in a more adult setting. Dealing with unsupervised kids for the week before on our cruise will be enough for me, so I thought that the Pier House might offer a little "less of that". Also we're in a spa room which, according to their ads, allows no one under 18 years old. The lady who took my reservation was VERY nice, the hotel seems to be centrally located for our interest, so I figured, why not splurge, spend some of the kids inheritence!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only two good swimming beaches in Key West; Ft. Zachary Taylor and Smathers Beach.

Because of the geography of the Florida Keys, (a coral reef) and the fact that Key West is basically a rock, there are no natural beaches in the keys. All the beaches in the keys are man made and the sand brought in from the Bahamas.

The only hotel that has its own 'beach' would be the Wyndham and I can't remember if it is the Wyndham Casa Marina or the Wyndham Reach Resort.

The Hyatt lists private beach as one of its amenities but I would be surprised if that beach is 10x10 feet.

Hey Guys,

I was just curious about the hotel, I'm not going to get worked up about the beach, we'll be there after a week cruise (western) so I'm sure the DW and I can find plenty of other things to do. Clay said the pool was nice, I've heard the restaurants there are great, the location is perfect, the people I've dealt with there so far have been great. I know it is a bit pricey, but what the heck.... I was just wanting a little insight about the place...... Thanks for all the help though.

• 3 months later...

herbnjod.. We stayed at the Pier House last year and loved it so we are going down at the end of the month (July) 24-26th and try it again. It is so conveniently located to everything. I noticed you are there on the same dates and if you use the same clues for dining we will probably eat at the same places. Hope you have fun on your cruise before KW. We haven't done any cruises this year but have 4 short ones in Nov. and Dec.. but I can tell you that you will love the Explorer!!!

Archived